Alcohol Calorie Planning

Options
Crafty_camper123
Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
edited May 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I was thinking of how I can imbibe a little over the weekend and not blow my calories out of the water. So I started googling some for low calorie options and stumbled across this website. I thought it would be a handy tool for those wanting to plan ahead for their drinking over holiday. You can use the search feature and get a calorie estimate on most alcoholic beverages. It also tells you what percentage of the calories are coming from alcohol which may or may not be important to you.

Here's the link: getdrunknotfat.com/

Also, what are your favorite go to's MFPers? Do you just occasionally enjoy what you like no matter the calories? Do you stick with wine? Lite versions of your favorites? Just stay away?

I'm looking to expiriment a little with lower calorie options. Some of the things I like are total calorie bombs. (I'm looking at you mudlslides.) Other things like some wines & ales I've found aren't as bad.

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    When I drink, its usually
    - just a beer or 2, so I don't worry about cals there too much
    - scotch I drink straight, so not much to adjust/cut there
    - tequila I usually mix with coke... sometimes coke zero if cals matter in that moment.
  • CanuckCyclist
    CanuckCyclist Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    When I drink, its usually
    - just a beer or 2, so I don't worry about cals there too much
    - scotch I drink straight, so not much to adjust/cut there
    - tequila I usually mix with coke... sometimes coke zero if cals matter in that moment.

I'm about the same, moderation but still enjoy a beverage here and there. I typically enjoy a nice glass of Dominican rum after a long week at the office.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Options
    Mike's Lemonades or Smirnoff Ice's are some of my favorites. They usually run about 250 a pop when I scan the barcode. With my goal being around 1200-1400cal 250 eats up a lot. Has anyone tried the light versions of those?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    gin and tonic, vodka tonic
    cider
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Michelob Ultra, or Vodka + soda w/ lime if I'm concerned with calories. Occasional shot of tequila.

Sangria if I'm not worried about calories.
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    my go-to is the basic b**** cocktail: gin or vodka with club soda/seltzer and lime. sometimes i'll even do it "tall" - a shot of vodka/gin in a tall glass, filled with seltzer and lime all the way up. That way you can drink faster/more and not as much actual alcohol.

honestly, I will do anything with plain soda and lime.

whiskey, diet ginger ale, lime and mint is also good.

since it's summer, I'll be drinking lots of gin and soda water and lime.

since it's friday, I'll be drinking lots of gin and soda water and lime, tonight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Lite beer is not worth the water it's diluted with, in my world. So, I bank calories for the occasional craft beer, usually IPA.

Sometimes, I drink wine spritzers (wine + sparkling water).

Sometimes, I drink flavored (but unsweetened, or barely sweetened) vodka and sparkling water, often with a citrus wedge. (I like Deep Eddy Ruby Red Grapefruit, for one).

Sometimes, I drink gin and soda with lime. (This one is particularly good if drinking with people who annoyingly urge others to drink more (certain coworker things come to mind). I discreetly ask the server to start bringing me soda & lime after a certain point, and tip him/her well. No one else notices.)

Sometimes, ideally not very often at all, on a special occasion, I intentionally set aside my calorie goal. ;)
  • alves_patricia
    alves_patricia Posts: 16 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    My absolute go-to is gin & soda (especially on heavy drinking days). I also do gin & whatever diet drink/juice I can get. If there's no soda nor diet mixer, I usually get gin on ice or with tap water lol I really don't care :D

We typically drink (heavily) at least every Thursday in uni. I've been an IF'er for years but recently, I've been fasting until I come back home after the afternoon/night of drinking and then prepare and smash a huge delicious meal. Works pretty great for me ! *Disclaimer* I do not recommend if you can't handle your liquor or get drunk off 2 drinks.

I also enjoy beer & white wine which I also track and account for in my cals. I get IPA's when only have 2-3 beers on a chill night. Otherwise, if I'm drinking beer as part of a game, I get Michelob Ultra as it's 90 cals & 4.2% (IIRC) per can which is the best I've found here in Canada :)

I set my calorie goal in a weekly fashion (meaning I have lower and higher days throughout the week) since I 1) Don't like steady cals (boring life IMO) and 2) Always have drinking and/or fun food days :P
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Most whiskey is only 60 cal/oz, so if I’m drinking (like drinking drinking), I do that on the rocks. Other than that, a couple beers is only like 240-350, so that can fit in if I want.
  • MelodyMomof2
    MelodyMomof2 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Definitely going to check that out. Thank you. I don't drink often but the wine that I really like is one of the more calorie dense out there. It's like 240 calorie for 3 oz. Wouldn't you know that is the one I would love? If I have a glass I always leave calories for it, but once in a while I'd like to have a couple glasses. Maybe I could just run a little longer that day :).
  • Crafty_camper123
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions. I'll have to try a shot of liquor in some seltzer water soon. I did make skinny cosmopolitans for about 120-150 calories a drink. I used diet cranberry juice to cut the calories and topped with flavored seltzer water. Pretty good.Also, I found some Barefoot Sangria Spritzers. 150 calories a can. So not bad either!
  • imgritz
    imgritz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Figure outa way to elimination alcohol until you lose your weight. The carbs and sugar will immensely prohibit weight loss.
  • Crafty_camper123
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @imgritz Thank you for your input. But, I only drink occasionally, and in small quantities when I do. Part of this for me is learning how to have that indulgence once in a while, but not have drinks that are super high in calories every time. I generally skip drinking the majority of my calories as it is. But every now and then I want to have a bit of fun while saving calories where I can. ;) Carbs and sugar won't immensely prohibit anything so long as I stay below maintenance calories. If that was the case my ice cream I like to eat would have prevented me from doing so already. :) It's all about balance and moderation.

*Edited for grammar & typos.
  • Kassadeedle
    Kassadeedle Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I love IPAs and it sucks because they have so many freaking calories I can usually only fit one into my day and I want like 3 when I'm out lol. I try to stick to white wine or vodka with seltzer and lime/lemon. Lite beer is nasty.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Options
    I honestly have not ever tried a beer I like... Not one. And I have tried dozens! I really like the malt flavored beverages like Mike's and Smirnoff Ice though. But, I haven't tried their lite versions yet.