IIFYM follower.

Options
Anyone else following this to achieve your weight loss? A friend at work and his personal fitness wife taught about it and I like it. Gives you a bit more freedom so you can adapt your life better, better choices etc whilst still losing weight for the blips it seems as long as IIFYM. I've about half my body weight to lose, joining the gym this Friday (payday) and I'm currently walking dogs twice a week, and doing archery, might not sound like a high powered sport but it works muscles in the back and arms quite well.

Please add me if you're new, experienced or middle grown. Any help is appreciated :) hopefully I can motivate back!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I do, I guess, but I understand IIFYM as "if it fits my personal macros", which means how I like to eat, not some random specific macros set by a website. Weightloss happens when, always, but only when, you eat less and move more, but you have to do it for real, consistently and for a long time, and willpower is a limited resource, so spend it wisely.
  • RenateAshaPalmer
    RenateAshaPalmer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've had a personal trainer work my Marcos out for me, I've inputted these into myfitnesspal so I can aim for them. However, even if it were to fit my macros, I want to be able to understand what each food is doing for my body as a whole. Food really interests me. For example when people think of vitamin C, they think of citrus, but I've recently learnt that Avocados actually give you more Vitamin C than an orange does. There's so much information out there that it gets so very confusion :(

I'm not looking for a short term solution. I want to change how I view and consume food. To understand my body more and what it needs and ultimately understand how to eat to supply my body with what it needs.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Where did you learn that Avocados actually give you more Vitamin C than an orange does? I would stop taking information from that source, to avoid further confusion.

There is no conflict between tracking macros and understanding nutrition, in fact, tracking macros can be a great help to learn about nutrition.
  • RenateAshaPalmer
    Options
    Sorry its vitamin K I'm thinking about!
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I only came here to find out what IIFYM stands for :p

Good luck, and I hope you've found a way to manage your food that works for you :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    MFP isn't good for tracking micros (vitamins and minerals) - the database doesn't make you fill that information in when you create a food entry so often its missing.
  • dvorakjahna
    dvorakjahna Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    IIFYM stands for "if it fits your macros"
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I have been following macros for a few years now because I lift and I want to make sure I hit my protein goals. Have you had a professional calculate your macros for you? I would start there and then adjust MFP accordingly. You can only adjust macros in grams if you have the paid version of MFP. Otherwise you'll have to adjust them according to percentage.
  • RenateAshaPalmer
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    I have been following macros for a few years now because I lift and I want to make sure I hit my protein goals. Have you had a professional calculate your macros for you? I would start there and then adjust MFP accordingly. You can only adjust macros in grams if you have the paid version of MFP. Otherwise you'll have to adjust them according to percentage.

Yeah, my friends wife is a PT and works with Macros. I've lost 5lb so far and feel a lot better in my self so somethings happening. I've paid for mfp. X