Chicken and rice ok through airport security?

loriflask
loriflask Posts: 13 Member
I’ve seen all the lists of healthy foods to travel with, but is really just rather bag some chicken and rice to bring through airport security, and some whole fruit. Has anyone done this successfully with whole food?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I just checked the TSA website. You are good to go.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/food

Are you packing a cooler as well?
  • loriflask
    I could. Just unsure about what ice packs are allowed.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I'm assuming you're flying domestically and not internationally?
    Because if you have to go through customs for an international flight, DO NOT bring food, especially fruit.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    loriflask wrote: »
    I could. Just unsure about what ice packs are allowed.

As far as ice packs, they are okay, but have to be still completely frozen at the time of inspection. So, if it's a long line at security, it might be a problem. Here's info from TSA. I'm assuming you are in the US, but if not, check with your country's restrictions.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/gel-ice-packs
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Do you need an icepack? Food can be kept for about 4 hours outside of a "safe temperature zone" before potentially harmful bacteria begin to grow. Keep it cool in the car for the ride to the airport and then get a Tupperware full of ice once you get through security if you're that concerned.

But yes, I have brought all types of food through security with no problems.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    I recently flew and checked that list. I didn't do anything crazy - I just brought a protein bar and a high carb cereal bar of some kind. I never check a bag - so I don't bring something that takes up a lot of space. I wouldn't mess around with any food that needs to be kept cold. It just seems like a lot of hassle. The one thing I was thrilled with was being able to take an empty water bottle (one with a wide enough mouth that I could pack some items in!) and crystal light packet with. Before the flight I filled the water bottle up and dumped the packet in. I loved having something to drink for the whole flight!
  • loriflask
    Thanks everyone! I will bring a small soft sided cooler with some chicken/turkey and rice, and some fruit. Will report how it goes!
  • ccbloom1
    ccbloom1 Posts: 82 Member
    You should be good with chicken and rice. But I was taken to the side and totally searched, like everything, due to a protein bar.