how to continue loosing weight while fighting depression?

Options
I have battled depression off and on my whole life. But have managed to be off medication for the past 6 years. It is not caused by situations in life but a chemical imbalance that can come and go sometimes worse then others. Most of the time I manage it just fine by staying active, keeping myself busy, not dwelling on it and telling myself it is only temporary and it will pass. But this time it hit me a doozy. I have been fighting it for about 2 months. Did all my other coping mechanisms and tried to keep a routine and get to the gym often and create a lot of endorphin's. It didnt work I fell off the wagon. Stoped going to the gym and fell deep so I went to the dr today to get medication. Please dont get me wrong. I dont see this as failure I just havnt had insurance for the past 6 years and the apt and meds can be expensive. But I am so happy to be back on medication for as long as I need it. My concern is should I stop trying to loose weight? Or get right back on the wagon like a train that wont allow itself to get derailed? Does anyone else deal with these two things at the same time?

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i dont know anything about depression..but the way i see it is, mental and physical health are entwined. if you dont feel good you dont want to exercise and eat right..and if you dont feel like exercising and eating right it can effect how you feel.

i have recently went through a phase of fatigue (caused by high iron), i really did NOT feel like working out, but i forced myself to go. i know its different than depression, but thats just what i did. literally forced myself to go. exercise can help with depression too.
    i am sorry you are having issues affording proper mental health care..along with a lot of things in this country our mental health system sucks.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi - sorry to hear you're having a tough time of it. Feel free to add me... I'm by no means the role model of 'normal', but I am a psychologist. The fact you know how and when to seek help is commendable - you're doing exactly what so many people neglect to do. Reward your progresses - however small - and focus on your number one priority: you.

H :)
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I don't like to make it seem that I am pushing something on someone. I have read stories of mental illness that are much worse than depression and they achieve hormonal balance by eating alkalizing foods which consisty of mostly green vegetables. I don't want to get in to all the details about it, but it's something you might want to look in to.
  • katep2492
    katep2492 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have depression and I understand it's very hard I find it makes it easier to separate myself from the disease. I say to myself "that is what my depression wants not what I want" but I know that is difficult to do because depression is very convincing.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I won't speak to you individual case with depression, but I will say that I was around someone who had manic depression for many years and getting out and exercising is one of the best things you can do for yourself. . If raises your seretonin levels and makes you feel good. .

Working out will keep you in positive routine. . . You can do it. . .
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I have very, very severe depression. Sometimes it is sooo hard to even get out of bed in the mornings. I am eating as healthy as possible and exercising. If needed, don't be scared to take time off to focus on yourself. Mental health is just as important, if not more important than physical health.
  • _Jessica_
    _Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Right there with ya hun! I know how difficult it can be... I just got my script for my new meds the other day. Cant wait til they come in the mail so I can start them! I say get on the weight loss wagon. loosing weight always help boost moral! You can do it!

~J
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    GIRL!! this is a daily thing with me!!...I, 35 no insurance because I am self employed have not had meds for 2 years.....I believe in MY spirit I have been healed of this no longer confesses with my mouth that I am depressed....and no iM not 100% of the Christian Faith.
  • SandyEdge
    SandyEdge Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I had issues with severe depression in my 20's.

I always found that exercise was one of the best ways to cope with it.

Whether or not you continue with weight loss - i would advise you to continue with exercise.

Hope you pull through ok... Keep strong... Keep believing...
  • Latoyamary
    Latoyamary Posts: 140
    Options
    Hey, mama.. I know exactly how you feel. I have been battling clinical depression for a very long time. I finally went off my meds in April and in June I decided to start working out again. In the past working out has kept everything at bay, but, lately it has been creeping up on me. I am trying not to go back on the medication, but, I might have to. I try to keep everything as orderly as possible, such as going to the gym 4 to 5 times out of the week, focusing on coping strategies, etc. But, sometimes, we must fall back, take the meds, and use them as well as excerising, getting enough sleep, eating enough calories to feel better and talking to others with the same condition to feel better. It is a difficult road being diagnosed with clinical depression. We can win even with this disorder.
  • cownancy
    cownancy Posts: 291
    Options
    As a lifer in the Depression Hall of Fame, I will tell you that exercise will be helpful to your fight with depression because of the physical/mental good side effects and the fact that you can be proud of yourself instead of adding your decision to stop to your negative list.

I totally understand not wanting to get out of bed for anything. Some days I don't want to open my eyes to face anything. This is a time where you can use every small detail of the process to give yourself positive feedback. You can do NOTHING, or you can give yourself credit for whatever you can muster each day. Any step in the right direction is to your advantage in every way.

Don't be attached to the outcome, just embrace the process for now. Realize that the scale is not your goal right now, it's trying to keep track of what you eat, make healthy choices, learn more about nutrition, and do as much activity as you can!!

Give the meds enough time to work, too! Depression is a nasty thing.
    If you ever need a boost, check in with me!
  • keeping_on
    keeping_on Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    There are financial assistance programs for prescription medications available. Speak with your doctor about your options, you may be able to get certain medications for reduced cost or altogether free. S/he may even give you a supply of samples to offset the cost of filling a script. Failing that, ask your doctor if s/he feels that a medication from a pharmacy's preferred prescription list (think Walmart's $4 list) would be right for you.

Yes, one of the most difficult issues with depression is that sometimes just rolling out of bed is a major victory. Trying to find the physical and mental energy to eat right and exercise on top of that? Pssssh, get the hell out of here. However, both a healthy diet and exercise are proven to alleviate symptoms of mental illness, and I have found with depression that it is easier to maintain a pattern of activity than it is to start one. Admittedly, easy is relative – in ain't freaking easy, at all, to get anything done while fighting depression.

The important thing for you is to figure out what steps you can take to remain healthy that will not overwhelm you while fighting through this episode. Exercise and proper diet too much? Focus on one or the other. A dedicated hour of cardio is too exhausting to even think about? Walk around your block, your home, or your living room while listening to music. Planning and cooking nutritious and low-calorie meals beyond your capacity right now? Allow yourself to purchase healthier pre-made meals. If you have a significant other or older children, inform them of your current struggle and ask them to get involved in your recovery. They can help with meals and encourage you to exercise with them, whether it's a jog or a game of Wii tennis. And if you sincerely feel that you can not focus on your physical health right now, allow yourself to focus purely on the psychological without feeling guilty.

Whatever your decision, take a moment to be proud of yourself and do not beat yourself up over what you think you should be able to do versus what you can actually do, because you ARE doing what you need to do to get better. As others have said, reward each victory, however small your inner demons may say it is – you are worth it, and your life will improve. Congratulations on how much you've improved your health already. :)
  • jaqui71
    jaqui71 Posts: 14
    Options
    I have suffered depression for the last 12 years and have just come off all my medication to see if that helps me lose weight ( not working yet) I have sometimes been running and started crying because I am so depressed because the weight isn't comming off and just today I sat in the bathroom crying and I have no idea why.
    Just thought I would let you know you are not alone.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I don't like to make it seem that I am pushing something on someone. I have read stories of mental illness that are much worse than depression and they achieve hormonal balance by eating alkalizing foods which consisty of mostly green vegetables. I don't want to get in to all the details about it, but it's something you might want to look in to.

Depression Kills.