Best Foods for Grilling Out on MFP?

Options
It's a big grilling weekend, what are you planning to eat?

We're looking at chicken and skirt steak with chimichurri. Besides stockpiling calories to consume over these deliciousness, what sides and meats do you like to do on the grill that won't wreck your day?

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I grilled pork chops tonight. Wild rice, green beans with mushrooms and garlic on the side.

We are not actually grilling over the weekend hers because I forgot when I made my plan.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I love chicken with a marinade of light ranch, mustard and brown sugar. We had it last night for our anniversary- so good! Got the husband a smoker as a gift so I'm extra excited for all the brisket and ribs we'll be having ;)

We also grilled pineapple last night for the first time and it's a new favorite! A little butter, honey and a dash of hot sauce. We also grill corn in the husk and veggies a lot. Grilling season is the best.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Black bean and corn salad with a cilantro lime vinaigrette is one of my favorite grilling side dishes. Goes great with casual things like burgers, or fish, chicken, pork tenderloin. It also travels well.

With your steak chimichurri I would probably do foil packets of cubes potatoes with olive oil, garlic, fresh rosemary and lots of sea salt and cracked black pepper and grilled asparagus
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I'm grilling seasoned chicken and asparagus tonight. Served with a side of charro beans. I just weigh all the individual chicken pieces and use the heaviest as my log in amount for the chicken. Since the asparagus is just seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic, I'll eyeball the amount I eat as a medium spear as ~3 calories.
  • chrissyreneet
    chrissyreneet Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Black bean and corn salad with a cilantro lime vinaigrette is one of my favorite grilling side dishes. Goes great with casual things like burgers, or fish, chicken, pork tenderloin. It also travels well.

With your steak chimichurri I would probably do foil packets of cubes potatoes with olive oil, garlic, fresh rosemary and lots of sea salt and cracked black pepper and grilled asparagus

This sounds so delicious!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    The best food is whatever you like most. The mfp way is tracking and using portion control and/or making choices about tradeoffs to get your average daily consumption to what works best for your goal. You don't have to deprive yourself if you want ribs; just don't go overboard.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Our local grocery store had a "buy 1, get 3 free" sale on racks of baby back ribs. So it'll be baby backs in the smoker this weekend, with bourbon bbq beans and homemade cornbread.
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I’ve found that I can eat a lot more steak if I avoid making and eating side dishes entirely. Cuts down on prep time too.
  • dotren
    dotren Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When I can get DH to grill (yes, sexist lol) lots of sausage, chicken and steaks.
    I got him a smoker for fathers day 4 or 5 years ago and he's used it once.
    I'm going to learn how to use it and do salmon, trout and chicken with it :p
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    dotren wrote: »
    When I can get DH to grill (yes, sexist lol) lots of sausage, chicken and steaks.
    I got him a smoker for fathers day 4 or 5 years ago and he's used it once.
    I'm going to learn how to use it and do salmon, trout and chicken with it :p

Salmon cooked in a smoker is unbelievable! I did some last week, have about 7 pounds of it portioned out and in the freezer. Smoked 12 pounds of chicken that day too, it's also very good.

The only problem with having a smoker is that once you get good with it, it completely ruins barbecue restaurants for you because you already know that their BBQ won't be as good as what you can turn out at home. :)
  • Rosefern1
    Rosefern1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love chicken with a marinade of light ranch, mustard and brown sugar. We had it last night for our anniversary- so good! Got the husband a smoker as a gift so I'm extra excited for all the brisket and ribs we'll be having ;)

We also grilled pineapple last night for the first time and it's a new favorite! A little butter, honey and a dash of hot sauce. We also grill corn in the husk and veggies a lot. Grilling season is the best.

Must. Have. Recipes.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's not the grilled meat that blows your calories, it's what you put on it, and portion size.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken. Beets with feta salad. Small serving of purple potatoes, onions & capsicum.
  • MelodyMomof2
    MelodyMomof2 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    We love to grill. Yellow squash and zucchini are a staple on the grill at our house in the Summer when it's in season. I love salmon, chicken, turkey or turkey burgers. We smoked boston butt yesterday, and friends brought sides over. I ate a small portion of what everyone else ate and it was still 1024 calories, so not a low calorie meal!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I grilled a rack of ribs, pork chops, burgers and sausages. I won't have to cook anything but sides for the rest of the week. :) Ate three of the ribs for supper last night, with sides of potato salad, baked beans and a roll, came in right at 600c.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Rosefern1 wrote: »

Must. Have. Recipes.

Haha for which one?
  • swhiteism
    swhiteism Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Turkey dogs, lean beef patties and chicken breast for me. I like a lot of sides so I’m saving most of my calories for that.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Shrimp. Giant 6-8/lbs shrimp :)

Pineapple shrimp kabobs with a teriyaki glaze is one of my favorites on the grill. Maybe polish off a pound of peelers while I am grilling. Yeah, I love shrimp! :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Stopped at the meat market Saturday for chicken brats. I'd never tried them before, really tasty.
  • CarvedTones
    edited May 2018
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Stopped at the meat market Saturday for chicken brats. I'd never tried them before, really tasty.

I don't eat mammals, so I have been trying lots of chicken sausage. Italian was really good. Some interesting ones with fruit and cheese in with the chicken. The andouille I have tried (2 brands so far) hasn't quite had the kick I was looking for though.