When it comes to eating fat, make it real

Options
For years they've been trying to sell us vegetable based oils and when was the last time you squeezed oil out of a ear of field corn or some soy beans. These oils are extracted and can only be extracted using chemicals that in fact are toxic. Pressed oils like Olive are fine. Most of us remember when our grandparents and even our parents used Lard and Butter. They stopped because the agriculture industry pushed alot of money around so you would consider it a healthy choice to use grain based oils and even the medical community bought into it. So here came the oils and the margarines and the spreads. Vegetable oils are far more profitable then animal based oils. cha ching.

Why? There is nothing wrong with butter. It not only has nutritional benefits but also health benefits to our bodies. Corn and Soy oils offer no benefit whatsoever and they go rancid under high heat unlike Lard or Butter or even oh yeah bacon grease. We save ours and use as a oil when pan fryng or searing meats/veggies that require a small amount of oil. This falls into the same stupid mentality that eating eggs raises cholesterol which it does not. If your not eating the whole egg your not getting all the health and nutritional benifits it provides.

We all know that processed equals bad and we all know that stuff made my man is nowhere near as healthy as that made by mother nature. We all need an adequate amount of fat and for sure people can go overboard but if you eat sensibly and generally healthy meals you won't overconsume natural fats. For breakfast i had 3 eggs cooked with 1 tbsp of butter and a couple pieces of bacon and some coffee. Saving the fat renderings saves us money that we don't have to waste on vegetable oils. Eating fat doesn't make us fat. Overeating does! Fat has so many health benefits for our digestive systems as well as our body requirements. In a fat free/no fat world why are their so many morbidly obese people.

Replies

• charmednz
    charmednz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Although Butter is saturated fat and vegetable oil is monosaturated which makes a huge difference
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that lard/animal fats themselves weren't harmful, although more fattening that it was the reuse that was more harmful. Lurking in my brain is the thought that reheating the lard/fat turns it into trans fats and that's where the problem is. Tried searching on the internet but not finding anything. I always out some potatoes and onions in the oven with my chicken to do my roast potatoes and onions. Yum
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Although you're right about butter being okay in small doses (but not stick butter due to trans fat, you want to find tub butter), you can't really discredit vegetable oils by saying the medical field "bought into it". It is highly unlikely that the medical field would make any wide spread health claims on a whim. Olive oil is the healthiest though but again only in small doses. But butter is like anything else in which you just need to budget calories for. If you want to use your calories for that... then do it.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Well said!

I use heaps of extra virgin olive oil, which I am lucky enough to have shipped to me by the grower in Greece - I've been in their olive grove, I know it's good organic stuff!! I have it on every salad I make, a great stonking drizzle of it, I have it on bread, I use it in houmous and tzatziki... I log what I use as I do everything else, and I've lost 24 pounds.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Heres to real fats!
    Nuts,nut butters,avocado,egg YOLK, and yes butter!
  • skateboardstef
    skateboardstef Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you! Butter is a more natural choice than processed margarine and vegetable oil. I personally think butter is easier for my body to digest than margarine. Humans have been eating animal fats for FOREVER, but these vegetable oils are only a recent discovery. I wonder what our bodies are thinking when we consume these vegetable oils, well I know for sure my body doesn't like it! You will only find butter and olive oil in my house!
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Although Butter is saturated fat and vegetable oil is monosaturated which makes a huge difference

There is nothing wrong with consuming saturated fat and again i stress that vegetable is a extracted chemically. The oil doesn't occur naturally.
  • wildon883r
    Options
    I was under the impression that lard/animal fats themselves weren't harmful, although more fattening that it was the reuse that was more harmful. Lurking in my brain is the thought that reheating the lard/fat turns it into trans fats and that's where the problem is. Tried searching on the internet but not finding anything. I always out some potatoes and onions in the oven with my chicken to do my roast potatoes and onions. Yum

Fats don't convert into other fat types. Trans fats are not Animal fats they are fats created by chemical engineering. Corn and soy contain trans fats not lard or butter.
  • wildon883r
    Options
    I totally agree with you! Butter is a more natural choice than processed margarine and vegetable oil. I personally think butter is easier for my body to digest than margarine. Humans have been eating animal fats for FOREVER, but these vegetable oils are only a recent discovery. I wonder what our bodies are thinking when we consume these vegetable oils, well I know for sure my body doesn't like it! You will only find butter and olive oil in my house!

The reason vegetable oils came about was because its far cheaper to produce those type oils then it is to per say raise animals and get our natural fats there. It's all about the money factor and although our bodies may tolerate them it doesn't make them the better choices. My ability to process/digest foods is far superior on a higher fat then it is on a low fat menu. Thats why folks on high protein or low carb diets get stopped up at the bathroom lol..
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Exactly. For far too many people, they think if something is "low fat" or "low calorie" that they can just eat more of it. Eat the real thing. And less of it. You'll feel more satisfied. Bring on the butter! (just not that fried stick of butter monstrosity...makes me wanna puke!)