Thinning the Recipe Stockpile

Options

Replies

• nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Calling it a full "recipe" may be a stretch, but I made this for breakfast this morning and it was great. I had it on a piece of sourdough toast with fresh sliced tomato. Half the recipe is 323 cals and 15 grams protein, but a third of it would be absolutely plenty for breakfast and would run more like 210 cals and 10 g protein.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Calling it a full "recipe" may be a stretch, but I made this for breakfast this morning and it was great. I had it on a piece of sourdough toast with fresh sliced tomato. Half the recipe is 323 cals and 15 grams protein, but a third of it would be absolutely plenty for breakfast and would run more like 210 cals and 10 g protein.

That looks delicious!
  • nickssweetheart
    Options
    Okay, I finally made the Japanese Curry that I referenced on the last page. It was really good!

Had it on basmati rice and it was a really filling and satisfying dinner.

The next thing I want to try is a spinach pie recipe I've had bookmarked forever. It's from a book called "Street Vegan," but it's really similar to this: https://theveglife.com/spanakopita-vegan/ except it doesn't use any vegan cheeses.

That looks great and reminded me of this that I made from the Greek Vegan for Thanksgiving a few years ago:I really like the blog and it inspired me to do a Mediterranean Thanksgiving. It was so much fun!

Greek Vegan Spanakopita
  • teranga79
    teranga79 Posts: 202 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Love this thread :smile: I'm great at finding and saving recipes but rubbish at actually using them - cooking makes me nervous! Am starting simple and made this last week:
    https://www.foodforfitness.co.uk/recipes/mexican-steak/

I used turkey instead of steak (as that's what I had!) - was really delicious. It ended up at just over 300 calories for a really filling meal.

ETA: also used brown rice, not white.
  • nickssweetheart
    Options
    Welcome! I'm glad this thread is helping you too!
  • nickssweetheart
    Options
    I made this today:

Tofu Bacon and BLT

Wow, the tofu "bacon" should come with a warning label. Is it exactly like bacon? Of course not. But it's sweet, smoky, crisp on the outside and tender on the inside and just entirely delicious in its own way. I ate a double helping. Fortunately, it's only 188 calories a serving and it's high protein so I was able to trim back a little elsewhere and fit it into my day.

My whole apartment now smells as if I've been making pulled pork in bbq sauce. This one is a winner.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    No recipe yet...just something stuck in my head. I need to make a lemon basil dessert of some kind!

The tofu bacon sounds yummy! Look into eggplant "bacon" if you are looking for something else to try.
  • nickssweetheart
    Options
    Mmmm, lemon basil dessert. My favorite desserts are literally anything with lemon. Maybe a granita? It's going to be 95 degrees here today and the thought of an icy tart sweet lemon basil granita sounds amazing.

Yesterday I made this Thai Green Curry. So far it may be my favorite of the recipes in this thread...although the tofu bacon was great and so was the coconut milk lentil soup. I used cauliflower instead of broccoli and had it over steamed rice. So delicious and pretty too, with the sticks of carrot and red bell pepper. I topped it with a bit of cilantro as I didn't have Thai basil.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I feel like there are a lot of non meat eaters on this thread, so this recipe might not be super helpful but this weekend I finally tried the portobello mushrooom boats this recipe had variation of philly cheesesteak inside. It turned out delicious and was quite high in protein. Link to the orignal recipe and what I ended up making
    1wjlvuiqmlw2.png

I did use one cap per serving, but the nutritional info was a bit different in myfitnesspal than the actual label so I just inputted 3.3 to match the actual label even though the numbers are for four.

Next week I am going to try a Jamaican pineapple rice topped with either egg or turkey.
  • nickssweetheart
    Options
    It looks delicious, and I say that as someone that doesn't eat meat or cheese, but I used to love a good Philly cheesesteak.
  • nickssweetheart
    Options
    Have been wanting to try Ethiopian cooking for a while now, and finally made this: Yemisir Wot on Saturday. It turned out delicious and was even better the next day. I used canola instead of coconut oil and a little more than half the Berbere and it was wonderful.

Tomorrow I'm going to try the Yekik Alicha and Tikil Gomen from the same site, along with the Ye'abasha Gomen from elsewhere. I was happy to discover we have a local Ethiopian market where I got my injera bread.
  • RadishEater
    Options
    Have been wanting to try Ethiopian cooking for a while now, and finally made this: Yemisir Wot on Saturday. It turned out delicious and was even better the next day. I used canola instead of coconut oil and a little more than half the Berbere and it was wonderful.

Tomorrow I'm going to try the Yekik Alicha and Tikil Gomen from the same site, along with the Ye'abasha Gomen from elsewhere. I was happy to discover we have a local Ethiopian market where I got my injera bread.

Love yekik alicha, let us know how it comes out! Mine doesn't beat the local Ethiopian restaurant I have but it is steep competition.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Last night I tried a recipe I had saved from Facebook
    Sweet & Spicy Chicken
    - dont have the link

Basic Rub:
    - oil with garlic powder, onion p, chilli p, cumin, salt

bake that in oven

Sauce: drizzled over chicken and put back into oven and also served as a dip
    - lemon, honey, yellow & dijon mustard

Was sooo goood! no leftovers
  • nickssweetheart
    Options
    My yekik alicha was not an unqualified success. The flavor is amazing but the texture is off. I undercooked my yellow split peas a bit and maybe needed to add more water while they were simmering. But it tastes incredible, so I'll definitely try it again and just be less shy about cooking my peas to death. ;)

I decided to go ahead and make the Yemisir Wot again to use up the rest of my red lentils, and it turned out even better. BTW, I didn't mention it above, but I trimmed back the oil in both recipes: to 1/4 cup for the Yemisir and 1/8 for the yekik and they still turned out delicious. Still definitely something I have to plan my day around if I want to eat a couple of different dishes, though.
  • RadishEater
    Options
    My yekik alicha was not an unqualified success. The flavor is amazing but the texture is off. I undercooked my yellow split peas a bit and maybe needed to add more water while they were simmering. But it tastes incredible, so I'll definitely try it again and just be less shy about cooking my peas to death. ;)

I decided to go ahead and make the Yemisir Wot again to use up the rest of my red lentils, and it turned out even better. BTW, I didn't mention it above, but I trimmed back the oil in both recipes: to 1/4 cup for the Yemisir and 1/8 for the yekik and they still turned out delicious. Still definitely something I have to plan my day around if I want to eat a couple of different dishes, though.

I'm glad the flavor was good, because I can get the texture I like. I just was unhappy with the flavor last time. I usually end up trimming nearly all oil amounts to 1 tbsn in nearly all recipes so perhaps I should try the alicha with a bit more.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I have wanted to make this for awhile now. This is my favorite cake. I usually just buy a slice while on vacation visiting my sister in law. It is pretty calorie dense so I tend to save it for vacation IDGAF about calories. Last week I was visiting my sister in law and we made hummingbird cake. It was so tasty!!
    mkekiqmv7mvj.jpg
    gr5ehsq6u2r7.jpg

• nickssweetheart
    Options
    Yeah, I kind of shudder at the thought of using oil in "cup" quantities but I figured since there were so few ingredients that it would benefit from the richness, so I trimmed it down but not as low as I often do.
  • RadishEater
    Options
    Yeah, I kind of shudder at the thought of using oil in "cup" quantities but I figured since there were so few ingredients that it would benefit from the richness, so I trimmed it down but not as low as I often do.

Have you watched the great British baking show? Watching them make pastry is crazy if you haven't seen pastry made from scratch before! I never realized how much butter goes into pastry making. No wonder my baklava tastes so good.

I am always too scared to trim down oil because baking requires more exact measurements, whereas cooking I usually eliminate the oil completely. I usually opt to bake only 1 layer and then split it into two, while keeping the number of servings the same.
  • nickssweetheart
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I have wanted to make this for awhile now. This is my favorite cake. I usually just buy a slice while on vacation visiting my sister in law. It is pretty calorie dense so I tend to save it for vacation IDGAF about calories. Last week I was visiting my sister in law and we made hummingbird cake. It was so tasty!!
    mkekiqmv7mvj.jpg
    gr5ehsq6u2r7.jpg

How did I miss this post, that's beautiful!

@kballsocc, I LOVE the Great British Baking Show, but you're right, the giant blocks of butter they use is pretty eye-opening. It reminds me of a long time ago when I used to order steak and caesar salad while dining out as a "trimmer option", then was watching Top Chef one night and one of the chefs basted her steak in cups of melted butter for the last 10 minutes of cooking (not to mention the calorie bomb of the salad!)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,656 Member
    Options
    Tried manzo all'olio with limited success after eating it on vacation in Lombardy last month. The recipe we used was

https://polentaebaccala.com/2017/02/19/manzo-allolio-beef-in-extra-virgin-olive-oil/

Beef was not as melting soft as we remember it in Brescia. Probably used the wrong cut of meat, but that is so tricky with butchering being so different in different countries.