My cat saved my life. *Warning may trigger*

Options
BeautyFromPain
BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
Hey all,

I just thought I would let you all know about my beautiful baby girl, named Princess.
I have suffered from very, very bad depression ever since year 6, so about 8 years in total up until now. It is due to a chemical imbalance and also from many events which have happened.

My cat can tell how I am feeling, randomly she will come sit on my lap when I am angry or upset or one day when I went for a hike in 0 degree weather and could not make myself warm, she came and slept on my feet - the coldest part of my body. Needless to say, she is a very smart cat.

She is the one who has made me decide that I want to get help so that I can live a long, happy life. (I do not know where she would be without me). She makes me smile in very hard times, when noone else can.

And has shown me that life is worth living. Last weekend I had 200 various tablets lined up to take, antidepressants, sleeping tablets, etc. But after taking about 70 of them I was very sick, and then my cat walked into my room and I decided that I could not take anymore - because I knew that my cat would be so distraught without me.

<3

Replies

• mbissey
    mbissey Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm glad something stopped you from taking all of those pills. I hope you reached out to your doctor, therapist, or support group too.
  • whitejessamine
    Options
    How lucky for the rest of us that you have such an amazing cat! As a fellow depressive, I know how hard it can be to go on, but I assure you the world is better with you in it.
  • livi_cowgirl
    livi_cowgirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I agree, cats are great companions. I have a great relationship with mine too. But you know, human contact can be just as beneficial. When you feel bad like that again you need to talk to someone you trust.

I'm glad you have decided to get help. I wish you the best of luck. x
  • sheils8
    sheils8 Posts: 57
    Options
    I am glad you decided not to take the rest of those pills. I, too, adore my cat and have a very special relationship with him.
    That being said, I hope you also have some people in your life who you can count on for support. You are never alone, and I hope that soon you will feel comfortable in your own skin.
    Your life is precious, and the world needs you.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    I hope you're getting the help you need now. Depression is tough and it takes time and support to heal.
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I say this is definitely an NSV :)
    This post caught my eye because before I logged on, I was laying in bed with my cat. She's 12 years old and still acts like the day we brought her home. When I left for my boyfriend's house, I had to leave her with my father, who was never really home. I think that was the hardest part of moving, was leaving her behind. She's my baby. Cats are great companions and I truly believe that they can save lives. They're just as intelligent as dogs.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Be your own beautiful!
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    @hm, catsare smarter than dogs, after all they do have us trained to serve them, not the other way around lik dogs!

Having said that though, dogs can also be amazing. When I had cancer and my picc line got infected, causing high fever and uncontrollable shaking, one of my dogs jumped on my bed and pasted herself to my side until the immediate crisis was over.

Non human animals are great teachers, if wechoose to listen :-)

P.s. I'm glad that your cat is teaching you about unconditional love. Loving yourself is the best thing you can do for her :-)
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Happy the kitty walked in :-) Sad you felt that way :-(

I hope you feel better soon and that you never need the kitty to walk in again.
  • EvilDave14
    EvilDave14 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Animals are amazing creatures. I'm so glad you have your cat there for you. My animals have always given me a reason to carry on.
  • plantobefit
    plantobefit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Please reach out to someone...life is worth living!

Plantobefit
  • pixieofdoom
    pixieofdoom Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Cats are the best, I'd be lost without mine and I'm sure you're right that yours would be lost without you.

But as someone else said, I hope you feel able to get more help and support. It may not seem that way now but there are lots of reasons for you to want to live your life even if you can't see them when you feel low. If you don't feel comforatble seeing someone face to face there are lots of anonymous, confidential online places you can start to build your confidence. Feel free message me if I can help or signpost you (I'm a mental health advisor in the UK).

Look aftter yourself and your lovely kitty x
  • patiencez2
    patiencez2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    A very smart cat indeed! Sweetie Hope you are getting the help you need.
    Because no one will ever Love your cat the way you do. Believe that! Glad you Listened to your heart. Now tell some human people you need help. Its nothing to be ashamed of.alot of us have been there at some point in time,
    Good luck to you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!