Helping to poop yes real issue

Options

Replies

• AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Try Smooth Move Tea! That works 4 me when i need it occasionally!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Go for a run...
  • HarryPro
    HarryPro Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The notion that people need a "colon cleanse" is a fallacy. Your colon is as clean as it's supposed to be. These cleanse and detox things are called 'alternative medicine' because 'quackery' is too harsh. If you feel like you're not fully evacuated after a BM then try boosting your fiber and ABSOLUTELY drink more water. Water basically lubricates the pipes and keeps everything moving.

Another tool (if you have a taste for them) are prunes/dried plums. Either a glass of prune juice or a couple prunes/dried plums each day and that should keep everything copasetic. (just don't overdo it. Prunes and Prune Juice are natural laxatives and things could get .. explosive .. with too much)
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    You rarely get it all out at once. You colon is about 5 ft long. No one poops that much at once.

I did for a week. I didn't know humans could possibly poop that much :s
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Coffee and fish oil get me moving. I wonder what bulletproof coffee does?
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    go for a walk often...and try a weighted hoola hoop ring...it sounds weird, but those 100 small hits on the stomach pr minute really works :)
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Of course it's a real issue ! I use miralax. (generic)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Drink more fluids or try a stool softener.
  • mistypenningtongoin
    mistypenningtongoin Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Magnesium citrate supplement and the occasional cup of Senna Tea.
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Completely natural and recommended by my doctor; works amazing for me (constipation): 1 cup oat bran, one cup applesauce, 1/4 cup prune juice. Eat 1-2 tablespoons per day. Increase to 3-4 if needed after a week or so.
  • lizzyfit2
    lizzyfit2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    lorrpb Member
    May 27, 2018 12:36PM
    "You rarely get it all out at once. You colon is about 5 ft long. No one poops that much at once"....

You dont own a Doberman, do you?! Lol
  • mishkawiggles
    mishkawiggles Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hi OP,

I've been in your predicament and it went on for months, symptoms worsened, turned out I was -chronically- constipated by the end and in and out of hospital in agony.

This has now become a management issue for me, all about maintaining really good bowel health.

First of all, water and LOTS of it. I generally put away about 4 litres a day. That's not including the teas etc I also drink. I pee like a racehorse, but I know I am well hydrated. You've mentioned you're getting lots of dietary fibre, but it needs the water to work with, or you're just going to get worse.

To deal with your current back up- a few days on Lactulose or Movicol (it takes time to work, it's not a one day fix) will soften what you're currently carrying and your evacuations will become more effective. That horrible feeling like you're not done and still really have to go will gradually subside. You can reduce the dosage bit by bit to help your bowel settle back into a natural routine once you've cleared the current problem, phasing it out so you don't revert right back to square 1.

In terms of foods I eat to help regulate things now, I have a few go-to's that are guaranteed in my personal experience to get things going: figs, avocado, broccoli, bran crackers, chick peas, oat bran. I eat at least one of these things every day. I've also found eating oily fish such as mackerel or smoked salmon a couple of times a week have really helped with regularity.

I take a cod liver oil supplement once a day too, something my gran put me onto when I was unwell, and that helps grease things along as it were. Healthy oils/fats in general are necessary to help things moving. I'm sure anyone who's tried going fat free will attest to the pooping discomfort it causes!

Finally, a brisk walk in the morning finishes the chain of pre-poop events. Honestly, I could now set my watch by what time I go. I spent 25 years with bowel issues, being treated with various pills and potions (some of them very aggressive), but I've finally figured it out now and it's a multi-tonged approach. Be kind to your tummy!
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I know it's been said before, but you can have too much fibre. Especially if you've suddenly increased the amount you're eating. Try slowly increasing the amount from what you had before.

Also, something that's not been previously mentioned: Instead of sitting on the toilet, and try squatting over it. Some swear by this.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Magnesium citrate supplement and the occasional cup of Senna Tea.

Ya, I see senna as an ingredient in a lot of "cleanses" and "detox teas" - I guess the laxative effect of senna makes people think they are "cleansing"?

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-cm-slim-leaf-14-day-slimming-detox-tea-ultimate-garcinia-weight-loss-supplement
  • mishkawiggles
    mishkawiggles Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    deviette wrote: »
    Also, something that's not been previously mentioned: Instead of sitting on the toilet, and try squatting over it. Some swear by this.

Good point! We have the Poop Stool lol, it's a stool placed in front of the loo to place your feet in when you're doing your business, so it simulates the squat position

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Magnesium at night, smooth move tea, or Dr. Schulze formula 1. Also, daily probiotic.
  • Chewbac7777
    Chewbac7777 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I need to drink more water
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    If I don't have a complete bowel movement by lunchtime I will start drinking tons of water, 3-4 bottles worth, and it almost always solves the issue within a few hours.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I have suffered this on and off my whole life - it is a pain in the bottom! I recommend some exercise every day, lots of veggies and fruit (prunes or dates are good) and drinking lots. I have also found that on those occasions when I eat more sugar than usual - in the form of cake/sweets etc (fruit/veg sugars don't cause me a problem) eg. excess birthday cake, Easter chocolate or Xmas goodies etc, my motions become much harder and drier and horrendously difficult to pass. I then have to take a softener for a week or so to regain my equilibrium.