the struggle is real after 50!

Options
Hi everyone, I'm Terri trying to lose at least 30 lbs. Terrible at dieting and so far after 2 weeks I like MFP. I can eat what I am used to and learning more about calorie intake. Was on weight watchers and about starved to death. I wonder why their commercials say you can eat whatever? So not true! So far liking MFP.

Replies

• flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Hi Terri, I am 53. Was thin my whole life until I got a bit older...Now trying to lose. I will tell you what is working for me right now. I quit alcohol completely. Had some issues with it. Once I did that though, I started losing weight around my middle. I also log what I eat and stay under my calorie limit. I eat anything I want, I just watch portion sizes. I also started a couch to 5k running program on the treadmill. So I run or walk 5 days a week. Plus I do some weights. Not a lot, just toning mainly. I hope that helps..to see what works for others. Of course though, we are all different. I think the biggest thing will be logging and portion control. But don't deprive yourself. If you want chocolate, have it. Just log it and stay within your calorie range. You can do it.
  • cglucky
    cglucky Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    At 53 intermittent fasting has done wonders for my weight loss journey. If you're not familiar with IF google it or search the name on MFP! Basically, it's a pattern of eating (not a diet) where you fast for a period of time (usually 16 hours sleep included) and eat during a window of time (usually 2-8 hrs). The best thing about it is you can eat what you want as long as you're in a calorie deficit. I eat pretty healthily but I don't give up things I love when I want them. I've lost almost 7 lbs in a month, my weight hasn't fluctuated. It's very liberating...finally a way a life I can live with. Good luck
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Welcome Terri, MFP is a great tool. It helped me a lot.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    It's true that our metabolisms slow down a bit during and after menopause age. Losing weight isn't such a snap as it used to be when we were younger. However, it's totally possible with watching calorie intake and exercise. Yes, there are people who lose without exercise but I'm not one of them. I know WW is great for some people, but I tried it twice and didn't like it at all. I think I was hangry the whole time. >:)

I started MFP with about 30 pounds to lose. With consistent logging and exercise 5-6 days a week it still took me about a year to lose 25. I'm still battling that final 5 pounds, but life is good. I feel fit and healthy and have never felt deprived or like I was doing something short-term. This way of eating is not a "diet" it's just good sense for the long haul.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    cglucky wrote: »
    At 53 intermittent fasting has done wonders for my weight loss journey. If you're not familiar with IF google it or search the name on MFP! Basically, it's a pattern of eating (not a diet) where you fast for a period of time (usually 16 hours sleep included) and eat during a window of time (usually 2-8 hrs). The best thing about it is you can eat what you want as long as you're in a calorie deficit. I eat pretty healthily but I don't give up things I love when I want them. I've lost almost 7 lbs in a month, my weight hasn't fluctuated. It's very liberating...finally a way a life I can live with. Good luck

I'm 55 and lost weight (mostly) using IF as well. But the bolded section above is true whether you do IF or not. You must create a calorie deficit to lose fat no matter what diet you follow or when you eat.

I was eating IF when I gained weight too. I've eaten that way for decades, though I never heard the term until I joined this site. It was a calorie deficit, not IF, that caused me to lose fat/weight.
  • Shugahhfatt
    Shugahhfatt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Im almost 50 lost all the weight no deficit required Actually upped my calories by about 700 or more a day in calories
    BELIEVE IT
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Im almost 50 lost all the weight no deficit required Actually upped my calories by about 700 or more a day in calories
    BELIEVE IT

No. I won't believe it and you can't make me. Unless the weight you lost was not fat or you lost it via a medical procedure such as cool sculpting or liposuction.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    BELIEVE IT

Amputation I assume?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I actually found "the struggle" a lot easier in my 50's.
    The tools are better (this site & food labelling for example) and I have more "me time" now the kids are grown up and self sufficient.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'm 58, lost 30 pounds last summer and fall using MFP. Best thing I ever did, weight-wise! Totally doable.
  • harryt5962
    harryt5962 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I’m 62, retired and need to loose 25lbs. I was also told by my doctor to exercise 30 min. a day. I have also been sober for 3 1/2 years. I just take it one day at a time.