Cortisone tablets

So I have an upper respitory infection and have been given some cortisone tablets to reduce the swelling in my sinus passages. Does anyone know if this will negatively impact my weight loss this week and next?
Thanks

Replies

• boysandb
    boysandb Posts: 11 Member
    I have heard that steroids/cortisone can cause your metabolism to speed up and cause over-eating and/or lots of energy. Hopefully, you will get energy and avoid the junk and carb cravings.
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Think positive...Drugs affect different people in different ways

I will share my personal experience when I needed a short term course of cortisone

no sleep/I felt "manic" /on edge
    hungry---gained weight for the week, I think due to the fact I was hungry and WAS eating VERY unhealthy at the time in my life.

If you gain weight, it should be temporary and come back off after you finish your medication
  • LATTIL
    LATTIL Posts: 16 Member
    I have had to take cortisone off and on for years for arthritis. In the past it really did seem to cause me to gain weight. But, I was not focused on weight loss at the time. The last three times it did not effect my weight loss. I think the key is staying focused on your calories. It always makes me really jittery and moody at higher doses. I am thinking that in the past that I let the mood swings create bad eating habits. Hope that helps. Feel better and good luck!
  • For me I have had to take them also for Bronchitis etc the 7 day pack and other forms I do go up in weight but its all water weight like every thing gets swollen and within a few days of being off of them it just comes right back off....while you are sick take care of you and eat what you need to a lot of times those upper respiratory infections are bugga bears and really run you down and be careful I have done this before thinking I am feeling so much better and get up and get going and fade fast mid day...or caused myself to relapse because I didn't allow myself enough time to heal or feed my body because a lot of times with me the bronchitis just makes me not hungry ...not to be mean but I don't let your weight loss goals even play into your mind right now you need to heal