BIG BONES???

Options
Hello,

Not sure if this is a daft question or not but I need to ask it so here goes....

I am 5 foot 7 inches and I currently weigh 17 stone. According to doctors advice, my ideal weight is around 9 stone. The problem I have here is the fact that my bones are huge! And I don't mean that in a fat person kidding themselves on kind of way, I really mean my bones are massive. So I keep thinking, in order to weigh 9 stone, with my bones this size, I may need to fore go a kidney and a chunk of my liver to get down to that.

So anyway, my question is, are my bones going to stay this huge or will they shrink in proportion to the rest of me as I loose more weight?

Thank you. x

Replies

• MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Sorry, how do you know your bones are huge...?
  • _Jessica_
    _Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I always thought I was Bigged boned... I have big hands and I thought I had large writsts without the fat on them... now that I have lost a significant amount of weight... Im not as large boned as everyone said I was. You will be suprised once the weight starts to come off.
  • livi_cowgirl
    livi_cowgirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options

I can see them and feel them.
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I think you should concentrate more on getting healthy.

Eat right. Exercise. The weight will come off and you can discuss again with your doctor when you're healthier. At the end of the process you will find a weight you are happy with where your body is in proportion.

I'd imagine when you get to that stage your doctor will be happy, no matter what the number on the scale.

Good luck.
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, it really is something that people just say. Bone variation from person to person is very minimal unless you're talking cromagnon. If your doctor says it's possible then it is.
  • marshmallowmind
    marshmallowmind Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    To be honest, do what makes YOU feel right. My doctor has had a go at me many a time when I felt I was at a good weight but when I felt I was unhealthy, he praised me. They just go by your BMI which is very rarely reliable because everyone is different, it doesn't included muscle mass or any other factors. Just do what makes you feel right until you're happy, don't let him make you think 9 stone is YOUR ideal because it may not be. If you get to 10 stone & feel healthy & like how you look, then stick with that.
    That's how I'm doing it. Working until I feel right.
  • whitejessamine
    Options
    Bones don't shrink. Not unless you have osteoporosis, and even then, the mass is coming from them internally, so their outer dimensions are the same.
    I would reccommend you use 9 stone as a starting goal. As you approach it, keep an eye on your health and your appearance. If you start looking skeletal, then stop losing weight, as long as you're healthy otherwise.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    For 5ft 7 according to the charts the a healthy weight would be 9-11 stone when you get to 11 stone just take a look at yourself and then decide if you look and feel healthy and do the same every half stone till you decide that your are ready to maintain. Dont' fix that 9 stone as a concrete goal right now. See how you feel about it closer to the time.

I am 5"7 and i suspect that at 9 stone i'd look terrible so i'm just losing till i feel and look good.
  • rfcollins33
    Options
    it's not your actual bones that are big, but your bone structure. I am a large framed person with a bigger bone structure, but I was still able to get to a healthy weight. You can do the same! Eat healthy, work out. Less in than out. It's that simple. NOT easy, just simple. It hasn't been an easy road for me at all, but the fundamentals of weight loss are not hard to understand. You CAN do this. I believe in you!
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 4,043 Member
    Options
    Measure to find your true bodyframe size:

http://www.icb2001.com/What_You_Should_Weigh.asp
  • rfcollins33
    Options
    and there IS such thing as different bone structures sizes it's called your frame size. So, you're not imagining things. You probably are large framed like myself. Use the site tia posted to find your size. :)
  • Kelly50054
    Kelly50054 Posts: 141
    Options
    I am large boned also. One way you will know, is by measuring your wrist, as the wrist is much thinner than any other part of your body.
    I do not belive in BMI's because we all don't fit into the same category.
  • DAVEGETSLEAN
    DAVEGETSLEAN Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about bone size right now. Have a go at making healthier food choices and physical activity. You can do it! Good luck.
  • Aloycia
    Aloycia Posts: 4
    Options
    Your bones size will not change. You are trying to lose fat not bones size.
  • livi_cowgirl
    livi_cowgirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Measure to find your true bodyframe size:

http://www.icb2001.com/What_You_Should_Weigh.asp

Thank you Tia, that was a great help. x
  • weelee87
    weelee87 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "big boned" unless we are talking about the length of them, in which case you would be taller. Believe me, I x-ray them every single day!!! They won't shrink either. Just lose weight by eating healthily and excercising and you will get to a weight that is right for you.
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 4,043 Member
    Options
    ~livi_cowgirl~ You're welcome. No, your bones will never change size. I think it is helpful to know your body frame size though. There is a weight range for your height. I am 5'7" tall and my weight range is 118 to 160. I will never be under 130lbs. However, I have been 130lbs and I feel that is a little underweight for me. 135 to 150 is my comfortable weight range. I have a medium bodyframe. I believe the range in weight to height is based on body frame.
  • beamishcas
    beamishcas Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    keep an eye on your health and your appearance. If you start looking skeletal, then stop losing weight, as long as you're healthy otherwise.

I agree. Back when I lost weight as a 20 something, my goal was 115. I thought ( and so did others, that I was too skinny. Maybe I wasn't used to being thin, but All I saw were my bones sticking out and I didn't like it. plus it was very difficult to maintain I went up to 125. I looked a lot better and was able to maintain the weight . (that was, until I got married) :)
    Just listen to you body.
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options

I can see them and feel them.

Do you have x-ray vision? Does your Dr. say that you have big bones? Have you had medical testing done to prove this?

Well, there are "big boned" people (inasmuch as people tend to come in a lot of shapes and sizes, there will be people who have heavier bone structures just as there are people who have lighter frames). I would say that you would have to medically prove this to use it as a true cop out. I have always understood "big boned" to be a euphemistic comment on people who were overweight, with the understanding that the speaker was either being polite by finding an "alternative" explanation for a person's weight--or being ironic with no politeness intended.

Perhaps... You want to start working towards your Doc's goal. If you feel that you are getting too thin then stop. It is as easy as that.