Former runner who lost interest in running

Options
I want to get back into running, but just can't seem to get into it like I use to. I ran track and cross-country in high school and college, and my mornings as an adult use to start with a run before I went to my office job. Once I left my position sitting behind a desk I started to run less often. Three years later I hardly tie on my running shoes, but get a whole lot more physical exercise throughout the day, just not cardio. Any former runners out there who left running for a while and then got back into it? How did you get the motivation to start running again?

Replies

• summpear
    summpear Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Me!

I ran avidly from 15-18 and 20-30. I loved it.

Then life, kids, and a minor back injury got me off the train and I couldn't run without hurting nny back. I lost about 3 years of fitness (hello, MFP) and when I finally started back a year ago I had no real interest in running. I didn't even own a pair of decent shoes.

I started in yoga. Then slowly added some lifting. And some spin. And then boot camp. Age then November - March I played I a rec soccer league. I started throwing in a mile after a class, or doing a walk/jog with my dog on the weekend. Then a friend suggested a Tough Mudder 5k. And my core work has kicked inn and my back doesn't hurt. A different friend wants to do a half together again and we found a really fun one in August. Then the decent weather hit this spring and all of the sudden I'm back at it.

I think not forcing myself to see myself as a runner helps me. Now I'm way more diversified, save any speed work for spin class, and run for the peace and quiet I used to it for.

Best of luck!
  • Thediamond13
    Thediamond13 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    70sthin wrote: »
    I want to get back into running, but just can't seem to get into it like I use to. I ran track and cross-country in high school and college, and my mornings as an adult use to start with a run before I went to my office job. Once I left my position sitting behind a desk I started to run less often. Three years later I hardly tie on my running shoes, but get a whole lot more physical exercise throughout the day, just not cardio. Any former runners out there who left running for a while and then got back into it? How did you get the motivation to start running again?

I committed to a race, registered for a half marathon about 4 months out and it forced me to train for it
  • fraukazi
    fraukazi Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I can suggest couch to 5k, it's helped me a few times getting back into running after injuries or motivational breaks. I'm on it again, after 4 months of not running and during which i lost confidence as well as stamina. And it's great, got me back into a routine
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yoy could also check with the local running stores; most of them have running groups for all levels. I find it easier when I'm running with other people; the focus isn't just on running and sometimes you can pick up great tips.
  • sharunza
    sharunza Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Long time runner, here. My enthusiasm waxes and wanes. Here’s what works for me: running with friends, listening to music or podcasts, registering for a race. Or I run less and do other cardio classes to remind myself what a runner’s high feels like.

You might not enjoy it now because you are slower and it’s less comfortable. That’s understandable.

Finally, I volunteer with Achilles International. It’s a group for disabled athletes to run/walk. My daughter and I volunteer as guides. Sometimes we run with a wheelchair athlete. Sometimes we guide blind athletes. Sometimes we walk very slowly with an athlete on crutches. The effort they put in, and the joy they feel from reaching their goals, is super inspiring. If one of my buddies can gut his way through a mile holding himself up with two canes, I can suck it up and do an easy three around my neighborhood.
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I ran 3-7 miles in the morning, 6 days a week, for about 6 years until I became pregnant with my first baby in 2015. Since then my experience with running has been very different: there have been weeks or months of regular running (though typically only 3-4 miles sometime in the afternoon while my son naps) followed by running and cross training on alternate days, then running every day, and finally... Injury. My body is so different now that I have learned the hard way to get back to running slowly or risk another injury. Whenever I can (when the weather isn't too hot to take my son and my dog out with me) I'm currently working on 3-4 miles of running with about a minute of walking every 5 minutes or so. Some weeks I will only get out to understand once or twice, but it's important to not totally lose momentum. And I try to remember that dedication is more important than motivation. You will not always feel motivated, but your dedication to running is what will get you out on the days that you might not be feeling motivated.

As for starting, the only advice I have is to just start and figure out the rest from there.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I ran track and cross country in high school too. I do other things now; I like to cycle and do intervals. I also take barre class. Variety is good!