Before or After

Options
Hi,

I am getting differing advice regarding when to eat. If I go for a morning/evening workout do I eat before to keep my strength up or as someone suggested to me after as my metabolsim will be working harder?

Any advice would be lovely. :wink:

Regards

Lynn

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I believe it depends on what you're comfortable with. I suggest eating a high-protein meal prior to working out and then a moderate fat/carb meal afterwards. Some people feel sick if they eat before a workout, but if you don't, then try this. And always eat back at least most of your exercise cals. They're there for a reason :)
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    You should eat before and after. Eating carbs before wll give your body the energy you need and eating carbs after will replenish your body. I wouldn't suggest a big meal before or after; something small would be sufficient. For instance, I usually workout first thing in the morning. I'll eat a bowl of shredded wheat cereal before my workout and afterwards, I'll have either a bowl of oatmeal or a peanut butter sandwich on wheat bread.

Either way though, I'd for sure eat something before and after. =)
  • chittyrose
    chittyrose Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My trainer makes us eat some sort of protein a hour before working out. If I don't eat prior to working out I can't make it.
  • kernowprincess
    kernowprincess Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You should eat before and after. Eating carbs before wll give your body the energy you need and eating carbs after will replenish your body. I wouldn't suggest a big meal before or after; something small would be sufficient. For instance, I usually workout first thing in the morning. I'll eat a bowl of shredded wheat cereal before my workout and afterwards, I'll have either a bowl of oatmeal or a peanut butter sandwich on wheat bread.

Thanks for this, seems like really sensible advice.
  • brenda_allport
    Options
    I have been in the habit of eating after a workout. For me, food doesnt settle well when I workout. I just make sure that I eat soon after Im doen working out.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

I have a question. I've always been scared to eat right before a workout because I figure if my body has enough carbs from the food for my workout, then why would my body ever start burning its own fat for energy during the workout, kwim? I'm curious how that works.. I wish I wasn't so scared to eat before the workout!
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I have to eat before I work out otherwise I feel sick. I exercise in the mornings and evenings. Each time I eat before and a small something after.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I eat a snack when I get home from work (100 calories of bread and red chili hummus) work out, and eat dinner after.

Eating dinner late (8pm) helps keep me from snacking too much in the evening.
  • kernowprincess
    kernowprincess Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
  • ilovedean
    Options
    I always eat before an after, split my meal into 2!