Realistic Goals

Options
I started my weight loss around 212 pounds....My goal is 170. I am 5'8" with an average frame.
I am one of those that carry my weight in my lower half...my dreaded butt & thighs! Which seems to be harder to lose.

Anyway, YES I would love to weigh 140 pounds...realistically I would probably look too thin and honestly I would give up before I ever acheived it. I think I have ADD with weightloss...I read an article about realistic goals...focus on 5 or 10 pounds at a time...Once you reach that goal focus on another.

I just watch so many people fall off the wagon because their goals are so far away me included...75 pounds away....40 pounds away....150 pounds away...maybe we need to all refocus.

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    agreed! :)
  • Gemini_at_36
    Options
    I know the feeling too well. Maybe 10% of your weight is a good start...and then once you reach that weight another 10% of that. It's a lifelong process, it will never end.........It's not like quiting smoking or etoh......Food is a difficult addiction to deal with because it has to be healthy and in moderation. hope this helps.
  • mama2daboyz
    mama2daboyz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree--making small goals might be the way to success. I am also 5'8" with a medium frame. I remember weighing 148 when I graduated from high school eons ago. Of course, THEN I thought I was fat, but looking back at old pictures of me in swimsuits, I was just about right. I have set my goal weight at 160, but I have "mini-goals" along the way that I'm focusing on, along with rewards. And as I go along, I may learn that 160 is an unreasonable goal weight for a 37-year-old working mother (teacher).

Good luck!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    When I started, I had 210 lbs I wanted to lose. I don't think it really registered how much that was. I knew, but I didn't know. I was focused on getting the heck out of the 400s, which thankfully happened pretty quickly..

Now, I think I have a better grasp on how much I have to lose, and how long it will take and it's kind of daunting, so I try not to think about it too much. On my signature I list my mini goals, basically at 25lbs at a time, but really, I'm looking at 15 lbs at a time thanks to my sister and my niece, both who are here on MFP. Each 15 lbs I gift myself another bead for my bracelet. Right now I've got two, another nine pounds and I'll have a third. It's a manageable amount, 15lbs, for me at least.
  • SDV219
    SDV219 Posts: 106
    Options
    You know what, you're right!! How much better would we feel if able to cross of a goal that we actually accomplished?? I know that I have about 100 or so pounds to lose, and trust me, they aren't all coming off tomorrow! So I think I'm going to create myself a newer smaller goal that's attainable!! Thanks for the sensible post!!
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    my weight goal is more of a range, i have 130 as the goal, but realistically, i would like to be ANYWHERE between 140-130. im 5'2"
  • jennor8or
    jennor8or Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    When I started, I had 210 lbs I wanted to lose. I don't think it really registered how much that was. I knew, but I didn't know. I was focused on getting the heck out of the 400s, which thankfully happened pretty quickly..

Now, I think I have a better grasp on how much I have to lose, and how long it will take and it's kind of daunting, so I try not to think about it too much. On my signature I list my mini goals, basically at 25lbs at a time, but really, I'm looking at 15 lbs at a time thanks to my sister and my niece, both who are here on MFP. Each 15 lbs I gift myself another bead for my bracelet. Right now I've got two, another nine pounds and I'll have a third. It's a manageable amount, 15lbs, for me at least.

i dont even know you and i'm proud of you...
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 and have the same weight goals as you do (started at 216).

Part of the issue is that I have a skinny girl mentality. When I look in the mirror, I don't see a fat person (however, I do see her in pics). So I cannot imagine I will look good if I lose seventy lbs.

But the goal is to get to 170. When I manage to do that, then I can re-evaluate. Baby steps.
  • SDV219
    SDV219 Posts: 106
    Options
    Part of the issue is that I have a skinny girl mentality. When I look in the mirror, I don't see a fat person (however, I do see her in pics).

I am the exact same way!! It drives me crazy every time I see pics ... b/c I certainly didn't think THAT'S what I looked like when I left the house!!!