I can't even do one pushup properley!

Options
I looked at the worlds fastest workout last night on Youtube as someone mentioned it on here and I loved the look of it.
Decided I was going to give it a try.
I just tried to do ONE drop to the floor with pushup.
I couldn't do it!!
I can do the half ones with knees on the ground but I'm shocked that I can't even complete a full pushup. :angry:

I usually add some free weights into my workouts. I do 3 sets of 10-12 bicep curls with 5KG weights. The same shoulder presses but usually fail before 10.
I do lateral raises with 3KG same amount of reps and some kickbacks.
Is the only way to get better at pressups to do them?

I really wanted to attempt that 4 minute workout at the end of my gym session but I can't even do the first exercise!!

Help!!

Thanks - Amanda

Replies

• jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    http://www.hundredpushups.com/index.html

Try this first! =0) I havent had a chance to try it yet, but I have full intentions.

Cheers!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Keep doing the knee pushups. That will help with the arm strength. And make sure to throw some core exercises into your routine -- planks, crunches, reverse crunches, etc. The reason pushups are such a good exercise is that they work your arms, abs, upper back, and lower back all at the same time. :)
  • pattiann603
    Options
    i like to start my workout with pushups. it's one of the best exercises because it is so hard, so i like to make sure i have every ounce of strength needed to do them. also, it isometrically engages your whole body, which is a great way to get ready for the rest of your workout.
  • kgagnon7779
    Options
    I looked at the worlds fastest workout last night on Youtube as someone mentioned it on here and I loved the look of it.
    Decided I was going to give it a try.
    I just tried to do ONE drop to the floor with pushup.
    I couldn't do it!!
    I can do the half ones with knees on the ground but I'm shocked that I can't even complete a full pushup. :angry:

I usually add some free weights into my workouts. I do 3 sets of 10-12 bicep curls with 5KG weights. The same shoulder presses but usually fail before 10.
    I do lateral raises with 3KG same amount of reps and some kickbacks.
    Is the only way to get better at pressups to do them?

I really wanted to attempt that 4 minute workout at the end of my gym session but I can't even do the first exercise!!

Help!!

Thanks - Amanda
    I suggest doing them on your knees - get your chest down as far to the ground as you can while on your knees and then one day, you WILL be able to do a push-up. What you shouldn't try to do, in my opinion, is stay on your feet and barely get close to the ground- it's more beneficial to stay on your knees with good form, then to force it on your feet with bad form.

I couldn't do a push-up either, then I worked at it and can now do 15 "real" push ups without stopping. They are my nemesis, but I work on them every day. Keep at it!
  • mama2daboyz
    mama2daboyz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat:( I'm working on it though!!! I used to be able to do over 30 proper push-ups in one minute--not super, but something I'd like to be able to do again. Of course, I was 50 lbs lighter. *That* might have something to do with it;)
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Push-ups work your chest muscles mainly. I would recommend you do dumbbell chest presses, flies and anything else that focuses on the chest. You'll also need to include bicep and triceps in there too. 3 sets of 8 is ideal to build strength and you want to be hitting failure around your 7th rep. Once you complete 3 sets of 8, you need to move up on the weight.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Start with the knee modified version with hands out fairly wide. As you get better/stronger, bring your hands closer and closer together until eventually your thumbs are touching. Then switch to no knees and start out wide again. You can do the same with your feet/knees if you want, the wider (to a point), the easier.
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    There is also the elevated push up if you don't want to do them on your knees. Find something about 24 inches off the ground and start there. If you are at the gym use a weight bench and do them in regular form with your hands on the weight bench.
  • yamdad
    yamdad Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    In january i couldnt do 2 pushups unless i did the ones with my knees on thd ground and feet lifted up off the ground. I can do 12 to 15 normal pushups now because i did the knee ones. Keep doing knee pushups and u will notice you ca. Do normal ones after about 2 weeks. Currently i do what pushups i can and then i drop the knees, lft my feet and finish as many as i can that way.

Good luck and keep pushing
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!
    Appreciate the replies.
    Will put what you've said into practise.
    Amanda :O)
  • MissTomGettingThin
    Options
    Thanks all!
    Appreciate the replies.
    Will put what you've said into practise.
    Amanda :O)
    Practice?

Grrrrr
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    There is also the elevated push up if you don't want to do them on your knees. Find something about 24 inches off the ground and start there. If you are at the gym use a weight bench and do them in regular form with your hands on the weight bench.
    That's what I do, it's far easier on the knees, also to me it feels as if it's helping me develop the correct form.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    Options