Gained weight? Diet posted below.

jme260
jme260 Posts: 44 Member
So I woke up heavier today after eating really well yesterday. The only thing I can think of is that my calories were too low to lose? Not typical for me, but was really busy running around with the kids & couldn’t eat as frequently. I did meal prep and was satisfied all day though. 9lum1alnsigq.png
g1g4ae63y82f.png
xs015ppmlj2y.png

Replies

• jme260
    I’m also 5 feet tall and 30lbs overweight
  • swanamandaj1389
    swanamandaj1389 Posts: 3 Member
    I bet it is just a normal fluctuation. I find I get a more accurate picture of my loss week to week by weighing every day and then use that data to find weekly and monthly averages.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    How are you measuring your servings?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I'm glad this isn't a typical day for you, since your calories are extremely low. Carry snacks with you if you're going to be busy all day.

If you were literally doing a lot of running around (i.e., lots of physical activity) then you may be seeing some water retention, which is common after doing more than your usual amount of exercise.

Changes on the scale from one day to the next are often water fluctuation and/or undigested food. You did not gain fat overnight by undereating. You also shouldn't expect to lose a lot of fat overnight. Weight loss happens over time and involves a lot of fluctuations. Get a weight trend app rather than relying just on the daily numbers.
  • jme260
    I’ve been weighing my meat with a food scale, everything else I use measuring cups or spoons. I continued to gain slightly the last few days, but I have been working out a lot.. I’m hoping it’s related to the sore muscles and I’ll drop a little the end of the week. My typical day is usually between 1000-1200 calories .. nothing processed, carbs through vegetables and not much sugar. I am 5 feet tall so my calorie allowance isn’t a lot. Also getting my thyroid checked since I just had a baby to rule out any medical reasons.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    jme260 wrote: »
    I’ve been weighing my meat with a food scale, everything else I use measuring cups or spoons. I continued to gain slightly the last few days, but I have been working out a lot.. I’m hoping it’s related to the sore muscles and I’ll drop a little the end of the week. My typical day is usually between 1000-1200 calories .. nothing processed, carbs through vegetables and not much sugar. I am 5 feet tall so my calorie allowance isn’t a lot. Also getting my thyroid checked since I just had a baby to rule out any medical reasons.

If your muscles are still sore, then I think it's even more likely to be water retention from your exercise. Are you taking a rest day from your exercise? Your body needs time to recover, especially if you're not used to this level of activity.

For weight loss, you only need to worry about making sure your calories eaten are consistently less than your calories burned. It doesn't matter how much or how little your food is processed, or where your carbs come from, or how much sugar you eat. The only reason those things would matter at all for weight loss is if you find that a particular macro ratio makes you feel more satisfied, or if you have a diagnosed medical condition that requires you to monitor your carb/sugar intake.

Weigh *everything* with the food scale, unless it's a liquid. Measuring cups are only ideal for liquids. Think about how much peanut butter you can fit in a tablespoon and still call it a "tablespoon." Does it still "count" as a tablespoon if it's a little bit rounded on top? Or if you lick the spoon? How about if you have a measuring cup of grapes? How many grapes can you pack in there and still call it a cup? What about uncooked rice--how much rice is a half cup? What if you add a few more grains? And a few more? I think you see where this is going.

You don't need to go under 1200 calories net per day. Trust me--I'm the same height as you, 4' 11.75" to be exact. Undereating is not the solution. You just need to track your food accurately, consistently hit your calorie goal, and be patient. You will not see the scale go down every day. Sometimes the scale will even go up when you're doing everything "right." That's normal.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    1200 is the minimum you should be eating...and if you're breastfeeding you should be consuming much more. But yes, start weighing everything, not just your meat. You're likely eating more than you think.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Re: weight fluctuations. It's perfectly normal to have between 2-5 pound fluctuations between days. Differences based on water weight, on the food you ate and whether it's still in your body or not, on muscle gain, etc...

If you have monthlies, weight will often go up for a while once a month, as well.

Weighing weekly can give you a better sense of how much you are losing, with the fluctuations not being such a big deal.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    As others said, the short term stall is likely due to a lot of factors and nothing to be concerned about. You need to weigh all food to accurately track calorie intake. Lastly, how are you defining processed, when you said you eat nothing processed but you log packaged meatballs and American cheese?
  • jme260
    True! More of a goal I’m trying to be more conscience of. The meatballs were fresh from a local farm, but I do eat processed cheese and more stuff. I’m trying to avoid the processed sugars I used to eat a lot and get most of my sugars from fruit or veggies.

I did drop 1.8 lbs after gaining for 4 days, and my
    Muscles are less sore so I’m feeling better and more motivated! Thanks for all the advice
  • renaecotton123
    renaecotton123 Posts: 15 Member
    766 calories is a MEAL....not a whole day of eating. Eat food!