How to be full on 1200 calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about counseling? Do you have a good support system? Grief is a sneaky *kitten*. Controlling your diet/exercise is one way to cope, but doing it in a safe and healthy way.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I don't think "staying full" on 1200 calories is an option. If you decide to continue eating at such a large deficit, you might be able to achieve "only moderately hungry" by eating/snacking on raw fresh vegetables for bulk, and otherwise making sure that you achieve at least .8g of protein per lb of goal weight and at least .3 g of fat per lb of goal weight.
  • aonfand
    aonfand Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Terribly sorry for your loss. I agree with everyone else... no need to be that aggressive in your weight loss endeavor. I have a question for everyone else though. You stated that you are eating back your exercise calories. Okay, so IF you are only eating 1200 calories and then exercising off, let's say 300 of those calories...IF you did not eat those calories back, you would literally be starving your body because your Net total caloric intake would be only 900 calories. So, I guess what I am asking is why on earth would someone not eat back their exercise calories? As a diabetic, IF I were to exercise and not eat back those calories, I just might fall over on the floor.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss! Be kind to your body, you've been through enough stress. Like everyone else has said - up your calories, lose the weight slower, it's more sustainable that way.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    aonfand wrote: »
    Terribly sorry for your loss. I agree with everyone else... no need to be that aggressive in your weight loss endeavor. I have a question for everyone else though. You stated that you are eating back your exercise calories. Okay, so IF you are only eating 1200 calories and then exercising off, let's say 300 of those calories...IF you did not eat those calories back, you would literally be starving your body because your Net total caloric intake would be only 900 calories. So, I guess what I am asking is why on earth would someone not eat back their exercise calories? As a diabetic, IF I were to exercise and not eat back those calories, I just might fall over on the floor.

So people don't know that they are supposed to eat them back. Others like seeing the scale go down really fast. In the long run that is counterproductive if they go back to they were eating before.
  • shoofly435
    shoofly435 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    First off very sorry about your loss. I'm on 1260 cals and my diary is open if you'd like feel free to add me. I do eat at least half my exercise cals back.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    The more protein I eat, the easier it is for me to stay under my daily calories of 1350.
  • anetkastefaniak
    anetkastefaniak Posts: 45 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hi!

So sorry to hear that... :(

I have been eating consistently 1200 calories and I'm 5'3 (not very active). I have reached my goal weight and have been maintaining, but consistently log in Monday-Friday as 1200 calories and eat more on Saturday and Sunday. I believe my maintenance is about 1550.

What has really helped me was learning to eat every 3-5 hours. I used to have 2 meals a day and that would not help as I was hungry for the majority of the day. Now I'm never hungry.

My typical weekday consists of:

Breakfast (7:30 am):
    Smoothie - 100 calories
    Coffee with almond milk - 15 calories

Morning Snack (11:30 am):
    Granola Bar - 100 calories

Lunch (1:00 pm):
    Piece of fruit - 75 calories
    Cooked vegetables with falafel/Salad/Cottage cheese mixed with raw vegetables - Around 140 calories
    Piece of cheese - 60 calories

Dinner (5:30 pm):
    Protein (chicken/pork/beans) - 200 calories
    Starch (rice/potato/wraps) - 200 calories
    Vegetable (basically anything but I love carrots, onions, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli & green beans) - 130 calories

Evening Snack (8:00 pm):
    Hummus and sliced raw vegetables for dipping - 80 calories
    1/2 English muffin with cream cheese - 100 calories

If I have a larger dinner, I will usually have a smaller night snack or just cut it out altogether.
  • kbs52582
    kbs52582 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I do pretty well on 1200 calories a day, definitely bulk on the protein to keep you satisfied. I workout generally 5 days a week and so those days it's very easy to stay on track! Protein shakes and lean meat (turkey, chicken) are what keep me full. And eggs! One whole egg a day and sometimes add 1 or 2 egg whites. I'm 5"4 and weigh 133, would like to ideally get down to 120. So very sorry for your loss, the grief must be unimaginable. Take care of yourself!
  • MEHR0908
    MEHR0908 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    kballsocc wrote: »
    Dee_D33 wrote: »
    Greek yogurt is a lifesaver for me! I thought I didn't like it but it turns out I really don't like wegmans fat free greek yogurt, but Fage is amazing! ".

I agree with this! Egg whites and Greek yogurt are my savers! I’m into the dannon light n fit Greek, low cals (80) and low(er) carbs. I get the liquid egg whites by the eggs. Low cals and make me feel satisfied through lunch.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    My calories is also as 1200 a day. I'm also trying to do a really good 5k time and build to a good 10k, so I do burn a lot running, I eat back 75% of my calories, which can be as high as an extra 1000 calories (usually about 500-750).

1. Do you eat back any of your exercise calories. (50-75% is the norm as MFP is notorious for overestimating calories burned)
    2. If you're always hungry, set your weight loss a bit slower. Being miserable because your hungry all the time is one of the biggest reason people quit.
  • ashxtasticness
    ashxtasticness Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Protein! Try to get more calories from protein than anything else. It helps keep you feeling fuller longer .
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0 and I often have a hard time eating to 1200 (it's annoying because mfp won't complete my diary for the day because of this). I also work out a few times a week. Walking is a great low impact exercise and great for mental health (personally).

Here's a common day for me.

-Breakfast:
    Coffee with creamer & truvia (100)
    -Lunch:
    Cheese Pizza from Uni Cafe (400) or if not at school -
    Turkey Burger with Muenster Cheese (380) -or- Grilled Cheese (360)
    -Dinner:
    Curry Chicken with Zucchini Noodles (300)
    -Snack:
    Half pint of Breyer's Delights Chocolate Ice Cream (135)

I don't feel wanting because I get to eat my favorite foods (cheese lol) and ending the night with ice cream is the best <3

Lots of places you can add in extra calories to get up to the 1200 NET minimum (meaning if you exercise you should be eating more). Why not add in some fruit or oatmeal at breakfast? How about a salad or some veggies at lunch?
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my calorie intake to around 1200-1300 because I'm short and not as active as I could be. I am cutting way back on carbs, so it requires an increase in proteins, vegetables, and fruits. I'm following WW Freestyle and most turkey, chicken, fish, eggs, vegetables, and fruits are free to eat as you wish. Proteins help satisfy the hunger, so I will eat an egg or some chicken or fish to help keep me from being hungry. Apples are low calorie and they are filling. I eat big salads with eggs or chicken. I also get some mileage from coffee with creamer.