What is too aggressive weight loss? What happens when you go under 1200 calories?

Options
lorib642
lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
More curious than anything. What happens if you lose too quickly or go under 1200?
What problems develop?

Replies

• jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    My friend was eating 1100 calories and lost a lot of hair. Luckily for her she already had thick hair so it wasn't that noticeable to others, but she noticed everytime she brushed or washed her hair. It devastated her. She also couldn't sleep and had no energy was irritable and suffered from extreme anxiety during that time. So bottom line eat 1200 or more.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    You can read some of the replies to this post from people who have tried to eat too low and reaped the consequences.. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Hair loss won't show up for months after the under eating begins.

What Are the Risks of Rapid Weight Loss?

Rapid weight loss creates physical demands on the body. Possible serious risks include:
    • Gallstones, which occur in 12% to 25% of people losing large amounts of weight over several months
    • Dehydration, which can be avoided by drinking plenty of fluids
    • Malnutrition, usually from not eating enough protein for weeks at a time
    • Electrolyte imbalances, which rarely can be life threatening

Other side effects of rapid weight loss include:
    • Headaches
    • Irritability
    • Fatigue
    • Dizziness
    • Constipation
    • Menstrual irregularities
    • Hair loss
    • Muscle loss
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    There's nothing magical about the number 1200. However, all kinds of problems come from not eating enough.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Over time, you become deprived of important vitamins which can cause fatigue, skin rashes, hair loss, loss of libido, and other unpleasant things.
  • Biggster69
    Biggster69 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    Biggster69 wrote: »
    I ate about 1000 cals a day for 8 weeks. Lost a lot of weight of course, now at maintenance, had no problems.

Unfortunately, you probably lost a lot of muscle too.

Not to much
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I ate at the prescribed amount and started losing. So I upped my exercise (running) and lost more. I decided I was going to crush this and went way below on my calorie count. I didn't lose any measurable amount more, felt so sick I had to increase calories and stop running for days. I was more effective when I ate at a slight deficit and worked out. I felt so much better too.
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    IF you are a healthy shortie and you balance your Macros to eat more protein, healthy fats, lots of veggies, and a multivitamin then I think it is doable to be a bit under 1200 cals.
  • Lola_Mercury
    Lola_Mercury Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The problem is that you will miss out on necessary macronutrients for life. The body then pirates what it needs from elsewhere, typically protein. This is the muscles and can include the heart muscle.

Non essential functions like hair, new skin, nail growth and the reproductive cycle are shut down.

These consequences may not show up for weeks after the damage is already done.

There can be general weakness and dizziness. Hang on to the railing.

I typically mention the cosmetic consequences as this seems to deter people faster than the other ones.

what he said, the body eats at muscle (which includes the heart muscle) instead of stored away fat, which in turn makes it HARDER to lose ACTUAL fat. Lack of nutrients deplete of your intestines of the energy they need to function which can result in their failure, gallstones, higher susceptibility to disease and infection because your immune system is lowered. Heart attack because your heart is under so much strain.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Unless you are on a very closely monitored diet - generally in a hospital and most likely being fed with a tube. It's incredibly difficult to get the micro and macro nutrients you're body needs in less than 1200 calories a day.

Once in a blue moon, such as having a nasty stomach bug so you can't keep anything down for a day or two, won't hurt you. Over time not getting enough nutriets will start to deteriorate your organs, skin and hair will be most noticable, but also your internal organs will suffer.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The problem is that you will miss out on necessary macronutrients for life. The body then pirates what it needs from elsewhere, typically protein. This is the muscles and can include the heart muscle.

Non essential functions like hair, new skin, nail growth and the reproductive cycle are shut down.

These consequences may not show up for weeks after the damage is already done.

There can be general weakness and dizziness. Hang on to the railing.

I typically mention the cosmetic consequences as this seems to deter people faster than the other ones.

what he said, the body eats at muscle (which includes the heart muscle) instead of stored away fat, which in turn makes it HARDER to lose ACTUAL fat. Lack of nutrients deplete of your intestines of the energy they need to function which can result in their failure, gallstones, higher susceptibility to disease and infection because your immune system is lowered. Heart attack because your heart is under so much strain.

you would still lose fat. your body will use anything it can to continue to try and funtion that includes fat too.