Do you think you will still track when you Maintain?

Options
It's something that has often crossed my mind- especially as I *hope* to be maintaining once I have lost these last few lbs.

I won't be logging while I am away on holiday for a week in Sept, and if I have put a bit of weight on I will need to track for a bit when I get back- but what happens when I reach my goal?

My maintenance is set at 1740 but I think that sounds pretty low- I would probably still lose weight (albeit very slowly) if I ate that every day.

Do those of you who are maintaining still track your calories? I would like to think that I will now be able to naturally make better choices having done MFP for the past 3 and a half months without having to log everything, and I will still continue to exercise at least 3 times a week but at the same time I don't want to throw caution to the wind and ruin all the good work :/

Replies

• prettyash76
    Options
    Im wondering the same thing.
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I have been on maintanence for over a year and I still log every day. Most of the time, I still log everything, but I don't stress if I don't. I try to continue to make healthier choices, don't always do great at that, but that's life.
    Good luck!!
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm maintaining for two months now and yes, it is important to track everything as you were doing while losing weight, because if you don't those extra pounds come back and none of us want that :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Funny enough it sounds like I'm in a very similar situation to you. Holidays SEPT - I'm almost at maintain now and questioning the tracking. So far I think I will just continue - but have decided that "if" I don't then I will still weigh-in weekly and if things creep up by say 2lb plus then I'll start 100% tracking again.

Also I have seen many maintainers on MFP through the forums and what not that do still track & in fact there are a number of fitness pros and the like around that use MFP to track.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I'm maintaining and I still log. I probably will continue to for awhile. I thought I'd try the "lose a 1/2 pound a week" recommended calories and I'm actually maintaining my goal weight at that. I hope to be able to up my calories to maintenance eventually.
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I'd like to think I will. I'm hoping that once I hit my goal weight, I'll change up my MFP goals to just maintain. I believe I'll still log my foods and exercise. I don't want to be back in the same boat I ended myself in!
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I am starting the maintance phase and I can say I am going to continuie to track! Make sure I am still getting a good balance of carbs, fats, proteins, etc....

I believe I will track going forward!!!!! It certainly helps for control and it will allow me to make sure that I don't head back to where I was
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    I probably will. I use the info to track nutrients too, as I'm usually low on calcium and iron if I don't track.
  • Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs. four years ago. I have discovered by gaining and then losing 15 lbs. back again (twice!) that I HAVE to track. I make good food choices naturally as far as health goes but I still lose perspective over time of how MUCH I am eating. I believe that I will be tracking in some form for the rest of my life.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    My husband already thinks I have OCD with all the tracking but to be honest I quite enjoy it! It's no different to him being on Twitter all the damn time! :p
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I still log - mostly to check on my carbs and protein.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Hmmm yes looks like it will be a good idea- I will definitely be sticking to my weekly weigh ins don't want it to get out of control again!
  • AJelinski
    Options
    I am maintaining now and am starting to find that tracking is making eating not so enjoyable. I'm not going to track for a week or so just to see what happens. I'll still weigh-in every few days to see how things are going.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I log Monday through Friday only. I play it by ear on weekends.

I doubt I would eat properly - ie, getting enough protein - if I didn't log at all.
  • BekJ
    BekJ Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am definately still monitoring my calorie in and out (food and exercise) and I've been maintaining for about 9 months now...
    I did stop for a while, but you lose accountibility, and with that you lose track of your calories... I found I gained about 5kgs (approx 10lbs).
    I know exactly what I should be eating and mostly I make healthy choices, but by knowing you have to record everything you consume you rethink before you eat something bad... And it's not much of a chore to record... It just becomes part of your routine, like going to the gym...
  • SweetP88
    SweetP88 Posts: 79
    Options
    I have been on maintenance for over 4 months and still log everyday. I still weigh and measure my food as well.....it has become a habit!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My maintainance is 1890 cals a day, I log everyday....its become part of my life, and I don't plan on stopping now! To each their own, but I like being held accountable for what I put in my mouth. With my logging it has helped others with meal ideas, and better food chocies :)
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    yes, I'll probably be here for life - if I don't watch what I eat carefully, I'll just pack lbs back on. done it 1,000 times and I'M DONE. I want to be a FIT senior, not dead weight
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    The idea of logging for the rest of my life was deppresing to me so I stoped.I want to know that I can do this on my own,and I can.I have not logged in a month and have still lost weight.When it comes time for me to maintain I might start up again for a month just to get an idea of how much I need to eat.
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have recently switched to maintenance and continue to log scrupulously because of my intense workouts ; I want to be sure my nutritional elements are well balanced and that I'm getting enough calories... Hope that helps! :-)