What is your reason?

Options
Why do you want to lose weight? What made you gain the weight in the first place?

I hate how I look I hate being fat I think its disgusting I dont like rolls in places where there shouldn't be (no offense) I have always been fit and athletic build with muscle and curves I still have my muscles and curves but with fat on top of it I feel I look disgusting- I am not trying to be skinny because I would look a mess if I lost too much weight but I am trying to be fit again.

I wasn't an overweight child or teen, I'm not an emotional eater
Basically when the sports stopped thats when the weight began to creep up
I gained my weight over time with being lazy/ not being active and eating like I was still active or trying to keep up with my husbands eating and fast food (he is a fast food junkie) I was always doing for everyone and forgetting about me- I got into a funk I guess you could say I loss myself for awhile I wouldnt get dressed I wore oversized shirts and oversized sweatpants-

Until I actually went to get me some jeans and they were a size 16/18 and shirts XXL Nothing fit me right I have a big butt and small waist- too small for plus sized too big for everything else I was completely miserable so I decided enough was enough it was ok to do things for me and that wouldn't make me a bad wife or mother-
So I started my weightloss journey and dropped weight all on my own just by being active and cuttng calories -
Then I hit a plateau and the weight wasn't moving anymore so with being frustrated I started looking for some answers on the internet and I found MFP thinking it would help me but I just lost and gained the same 3-4lbs very frustrating:mad:

My husband returned home from Iraq and I gained 7lbs (of weight i loss previously prior to MFP) we will call those 7lbs happy lbs-I always lose weight when he is gone because I am active but when he gets home Im not as active I attempted trying to keep up with my home workout routine which didn't work because its hard to workout when you have someone sitting on the couch relaxing

I refuse to be fat- So after being unmotivated in trying to workout at home I decided I need to hit the gym forget about working out at home around SGT LAZY- So I hit the gym just recently to lose the rest of the 7lbs I gained + plus work on losing the rest to hit my goal - he has decided to join me he is quite the shammer but I dont let that change my motivation I get my motivation from the fit/skinny people at the gym.

So now I am back at where I was when I joined MFP and looking forward and not back- I know what I need to do - I know for me personally to lose weight I need to be active- I dont deprive myself of anything- Weightloss is all about moderation and activity-(example) If I want a hot fudge sundae I will have it I will have SOME not the entire thing- Its about self control.

So whats your story?

Replies

• mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to lose weight? What made you gain the weight in the first place?

I hate how I look I hate being fat I think its disgusting I dont like rolls in places where there shouldn't be (no offense) I have always been fit and athletic build with muscle and curves I still have my muscles and curves but with fat on top of it I feel I look disgusting- I am not trying to be skinny because I would look a mess if I lost too much weight but I am trying to be fit again.

I wasn't an overweight child or teen, I'm not an emotional eater
    Basically when the sports stopped thats when the weight began to creep up
    I gained my weight over time with being lazy/ not being active and eating like I was still active or trying to keep up with my husbands eating and fast food (he is a fast food junkie) I was always doing for everyone and forgetting about me- I got into a funk I guess you could say I loss myself for awhile I wouldnt get dressed I wore oversized shirts and oversized sweatpants-

Until I actually went to get me some jeans and they were a size 16/18 and shirts XXL Nothing fit me right I have a big butt and small waist- too small for plus sized too big for everything else I was completely miserable so I decided enough was enough it was ok to do things for me and that wouldn't make me a bad wife or mother-
    So I started my weightloss journey and dropped weight all on my own just by being active and cuttng calories -
    Then I hit a plateau and the weight wasn't moving anymore so with being frustrated I started looking for some answers on the internet and I found MFP thinking it would help me but I just lost and gained the same 3-4lbs very frustrating:mad:

My husband returned home from Iraq and I gained 7lbs (of weight i loss previously prior to MFP) we will call those 7lbs happy lbs-I always lose weight when he is gone because I am active but when he gets home Im not as active I attempted trying to keep up with my home workout routine which didn't work because its hard to workout when you have someone sitting on the couch relaxing

I refuse to be fat- So after being unmotivated in trying to workout at home I decided I need to hit the gym forget about working out at home around SGT LAZY- So I hit the gym just recently to lose the rest of the 7lbs I gained + plus work on losing the rest to hit my goal - he has decided to join me he is quite the shammer but I dont let that change my motivation I get my motivation from the fit/skinny people at the gym.

So now I am back at where I was when I joined MFP and looking forward and not back- I know what I need to do - I know for me personally to lose weight I need to be active- I dont deprive myself of anything- Weightloss is all about moderation and activity-(example) If I want a hot fudge sundae I will have it I will have SOME not the entire thing- Its about self control.

So whats your story?
  • Tailea
    Tailea Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I was overweight for my whole life until I lost 70lbs in 2006, only to gain a lot of it back last year. A lot of diseases run in my family and being overweight only ups my chances of ending up with them. I already have high cholesterol, so being healthy is a big reason for me, though not the only one!

I'm getting married in May and I will admit that that is a big reason why I want to do this now. We're getting married on a cruise ship and I know I'll be in a bathing suit for the whole of the 8 day cruise, which both of our families will be on. I'd rather not be a chubby bride and later be sitting on the beach next to my two thin gorgeous bridesmaids.

I also want to set an example for my 11 year old brother, who has been gaining weight recently because of all the bad foods (and bad examples) that flow freely in my parents' house.
  • ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My reason is to find myself again. I got married, had a stressful marriage, then went through a divorce. Throughout that time, I let 45 pounds sneak up on me! I just didn't have time to think about myself. But, after we separated, I looked in the mirror and didn't even recognize myself anymore. I mean, I felt like my old self, then I would look in the mirror and the image I saw didn't match the image I had of me in my head. That is why I am so determined to make this the year that I find myself again. I was just working out last night and I looked in the mirror and saw the definition of my cheekbones, it just been SO long since I have seen it. And...did you know...that I do in fact still have a collarbone? Haven't seen that in years either. As I'm losing weight, I am slowly stripping away the stress and feelings that I have been oppressed under for the last 5 years. I'm finding me again and the image I see in the mirror is finally starting to match the self image I have in my head. It feels wonderful. Keep up the great work and good luck with the rest of your goal!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I wanted to lose weight because I was uncomfortable in my own skin. I didn't feel good about my body and would cringe when I'd see myself in pictures.

I lost 60 pounds (kept off 50) and became much healthier and educated about nutrition and exercise, and perhaps my skin is no longer uncomfortable - but unfortunately I still hate my body and cringe when I see myself in pictures.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Mine's pretty simple...it was sort of superficial in the beginning.

I was into lifting in highschool, but had a controlling and abusive older boyfriend who wouldn't allow me to go to the gym. He was always eating junk food, so I was always eating junk food. I weighed 154 lbs when I graduated, and I'm 5'0.

When I came to college I felt HUGE compared to everyone else. My stomach stuck out farther than my chest, I was wearing size 13 pants, and when I had my cholesterol tested for my health class, my levels weren't good and I had pre-hypertension. I didn't care as much about those factors, but I knew I couldn't gain the 'Freshmen 15'. I started working out a TON. I really liked the atmosphere of the gym and the rock wall. In time I got a trainer and specified my goals to certain body fat %, to being able to run more than 30 minutes, things like that. The weight started melting off and my family and friends began to notice, so I just kept going. I saw a huge improvement in my jealousy issues and self confidence (which really go hand-in-hand). Now I am pretty happy with my body and focus more on my athletic performance, which is pretty impressive in my opinion!:happy:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Mine's pretty simple...it was sort of superficial in the beginning.

I was into lifting in highschool, but had a controlling and abusive older boyfriend who wouldn't allow me to go to the gym. He was always eating junk food, so I was always eating junk food. I weighed 154 lbs when I graduated, and I'm 5'0.

When I came to college I felt HUGE compared to everyone else. My stomach stuck out farther than my chest, I was wearing size 13 pants, and when I had my cholesterol tested for my health class, my levels weren't good and I had pre-hypertension. I didn't care as much about those factors, but I knew I couldn't gain the 'Freshmen 15'. I started working out a TON. I really liked the atmosphere of the gym and the rock wall. In time I got a trainer and specified my goals to certain body fat %, to being able to run more than 30 minutes, things like that. The weight started melting off and my family and friends began to notice, so I just kept going. I saw a huge improvement in my jealousy issues and self confidence (which really go hand-in-hand). Now I am pretty happy with my body and focus more on my athletic performance, which is pretty impressive in my opinion!:happy:

My 1st goal is to drop the rest of this weight- Then my other goals are more fitness-- I too love the atmosphere of the gym- We have a rock wall at our gym I have to get certified before they let me in there though but I have to fit that into my work schedule since they only do it during the weekdays and I am at work ALL day long- but I will get to it.
  • Mrs_Ford
    Mrs_Ford Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My reason for losing weight is because last July I miscarriaged my first little one. :brokenheart:

It was a shock because I didn't even know I was prego until I had what I thought was a "real bad period". But when I went 2days after for my yearly that's when she told me. She said it was where I was stressed due to my final semister in college student teaching & the 40-hour weeks @ my job during the night (3hrs daily of sleep was awful!!!) ...but also because my weight was 20lbs over so that didn't help either.

So, now I'm free of stress & soon to be teaching so I can finally get back to my fit self like I was before college.

Wish me luck! My husband & I want to start trying this fall or early 2010 so he's even started working out w/ me at the gym so we can be ready to chase after little feet together. :heart:
  • MellyG426
    MellyG426 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have been heavy all my life. It started back in elementary school when my mother went to work and we had babysitters who allowed me to eat whatever I wanted. As I got older, the habits stuck. About 6 years ago, I was a junior in college, going through nursing school (which happens to be VERY stressful!), and I had what I would like to call, my breaking moment.

I woke up, hated the way I looked in the mirror, so I tried to avoid them. Took a shower, and then it was time to get ready. I put on my jeans, size 18 at that time, and they wouldnt fit! I broke down, all the emotions I had been holding in came out, and I cried for hours. I have to say that it was an absolute miserable experience but it finally opened my eyes and allowed me to see that I needed to do something, for me. No one else. I started on my weight loss journey that day, and in less than a year I lost over 100 lbs. I worked hard but I was active at that time. Going to school full time, and had 2 jobs. Plus, I was coming into my own and having the time of my life. I can honestly say that I felt amazing. Was I the smallest I could of been, no. But I was finally comfortable in my skin, something I had never been before. I was in shape and I was healthy. I was able to wear whatever I wanted and I loved going shopping because it was a fantastic experience to see your body fitting into smalls and size 6's!! (Through high school I had always been at least a 12)

Well, during that time about 4 1/2 years ago I met the man I KNEW I wanted to be with (he didn't know it at the time, but he was mine!) Since, I have become a nurse and life has started to shape itself. And I have started to reshape myself, not in a good way either. I've put on 30 lbs in the past 3 years or so, by becoming lazy, and eating like the man does. I have moments where I am so good, but then I go and splurge on dessert. I can say that even though I didn't gain all my weight back, which I am very glad about, I am very disappointed in myself. I know that I have failed myself but I also know there is a turning point and only I can decide to change. I have decided to make that change- because I feel more horrible about myself now than I ever did. :sad:

I let how I feel about my body and insecurities get in the way of life. I don't do a lot of things, and I'm missing out on lots of opportunities because of my lack of self esteem and my hatred for myself. I know that its not good. I work in a field where I see horrible things happen to people, and I realize every day I need to snap out of my funk, because you never know when its gonna be your time. One of the things that bothers me the most, is I have a wonderful man who loves me for me, but I can't seem to get past how I feel about myself to let him "see" me. Its not because I don't feel comfortable with him, or because he doesnt make me feel beautiful, it's that Im not comfortable with myself. I know I'm not going to be perfect- the ups and downs of my weight has left their marks, BUT- today, I am making the change.

I got all the junk out of my house, I stepped on the scale and start today as my day 1 of the rest of my life. I will lose this weight, I've set short term goals for this year, and you bet your bottoms I will meet them. Best of luck to you all... and I know we all we do it.

xoxox
  • MellyG426
    MellyG426 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My reason for losing weight is because last July I miscarriaged my first little one. :brokenheart:

It was a shock because I didn't even know I was prego until I had what I thought was a "real bad period". But when I went 2days after for my yearly that's when she told me. She said it was where I was stressed due to my final semister in college student teaching & the 40-hour weeks @ my job during the night (3hrs daily of sleep was awful!!!) ...but also because my weight was 20lbs over so that didn't help either.

So, now I'm free of stress & soon to be teaching so I can finally get back to my fit self like I was before college.

Wish me luck! My husband & I want to start trying this fall or early 2010 so he's even started working out w/ me at the gym so we can be ready to chase after little feet together. :heart:

I am sorry that that happened to you. I know that when it does, it is devastating. But I am glad that you are here to make yourself healthier, for your future child. I wish you and your husband the best of luck. I truly believe the saying when one door closes, another opens- only good things in your future!!
  • need2loseitbig
    Options
    Hi, I have read all the stories so far and can relate to each one. I was always skinny, they called me "Twiggy" in school. Everyone said I was "pretty", yet I never felt that way. I was 19 years old when my mom and dad went through a bad divorce after 30 years of marriage, and I felt an obligation to kind of watch over my mom because my dad had said and done some terrible things to her. I finally got married when I was 28 years old. I had three kids in 5 years, which I think totally effects your hormones and changes your entire body and out look on life. After you have kids, it seems like you focus your life around them and kind of let yourself disappear into the background. It is easy to fall into bad habits of getting something from a fast food place for supper, in between getting the kids where they need to be. I always tried to have "good" meals at home too, in between the bad ones, but somehow I think portion control got thrown out the window. You never know what is going to happen in life, and a few years ago I got hit by a speeding car, which swerved onto my front lawn, to avoid hitting the school bus stopped in front of my house. The driver hit 5 of us, Me and 4 children, two of whom were my own, and my dog got hit also. Miraculously we all survived. I was the worst hit, since I had tried to get the children out of the way. The car hit me and severed every ligament in my right knee/leg. I ended up having nerve and back damage too. Our lives totally changed in that moment. I have had three knee surgeries, I am able to at least walk the right way now, but still can't bend it all the way, and I have a constant throb of pain in that knee. We are all lucky to be alive. Unfortunately, the driver didn't have enough insurance to cover everything so I was left holding the responsibility for the bills, since he didn't own anything to sue for either. I ended up totally depressed, which , if you have ever suffered from depression, you know it is totally debilitating. I think with all the medication, the depression itself and the change of not having my life in my own control, took it's toll on me. I got fatter and fatter. I hated to look in the mirror and fell into wearing old comfy clothes too. When I had finally had enough of the self pity and realized I was the only one who could change myself, I took back control, and tried to lose weight. I ended up losing 46 lbs by doing the "low carb" diet. It did work, but as soon as you ate a piece of bread at a family get together, you gained 6 lbs. I ended up gaining all that weight back, plus about 10 lbs more. I feel totally disgusted with myself, and again, I know that only I can control my own eating habits so, on January 18th I started watching my calories. On the biggest loser they say "Calories in, Calories out" . I got on "Google" and wrote in "free calorie counter " and here I am on mfp. I think it is great, and so very easy to use. I write in what I have eaten, I write in my exercise, and then I have a percise count of my days progress. I know it will take time, but I am determined to win the battle of the bulge! I totally love to read every post and the replies, and to know that there are others out there, in the same boat as I am, makes me feel even more confident that I can win this battle! Thanks for reading and please stay inspired by other people's stories, you are not alone, we can all do this together and thanks for your support!