New to Keto..help!

Options
I'm trying to research the Keto diet, because I've heard great things. I am so used to just tracking my calories using MFP that I'm really struggling with understanding how this works. So far I get no sugar, low carbs, but how do you know how much to eat?! I did a calorie calculation, but I feel so lost when it comes to knowing how much protein and such is in something. Can anyone help? I want to do this, but I just can't get an understanding. Thank you in advance!!

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    The idea is that you eat not-carby things to satisfaction (not full or stuffed) and that will (hopefully) leave you at a calorie deficit. Eating not-carby things should leave you with at least enough protein and plenty of fat without needing to track anything but carbs if you don't want to do so.

I don't do Keto but that's the general idea behind it.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I'm trying to research the Keto diet, because I've heard great things. I am so used to just tracking my calories using MFP that I'm really struggling with understanding how this works. So far I get no sugar, low carbs, but how do you know how much to eat?! I did a calorie calculation, but I feel so lost when it comes to knowing how much protein and such is in something. Can anyone help? I want to do this, but I just can't get an understanding. Thank you in advance!!

I follow the Keto Diet due to high A1C. So, I am doing this for medical reasons. I also happen to love the food that I eat.

I will throw this out there right now.....If your question is asking about macro breakdown....then the strict Keto is something like 75% of your calories come from Fats, 20% of your calories come from Protein and 5% of your calories come from Carbs.

I will gladly help you.....feel free to PM if you like. We can also do this in this post....all up to you.

This is potentially really restrictive for people who follow it. Just putting that out there.

I will also help you with food choices...I have lots of URLs and Links to Keto-Friendly recipes if that will help you. Now - I am a creature of habit (always have been) so I eat the same seven or eight things ALL THE TIME. I am just that way (most people are not at all that way....so I might be of help there, but maybe not....just trying to paint an accurate picture.)

There is also a Low Carb group and a Keto group in MFP. Have you considered joining each? You have to actually join.....easy process.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Your calorie goal will be the same regardless of diet. Your macros will change, hopefully making it easier to stick to your deficit. I don't do keto, but my understanding is you pick a carb goal (I think somewhere under 50g), you make sure you get enough protein, and then fat takes up the rest.

You might want to try the Low Carbers group for more info, I'm sure there's a beginners thread.