Weightloss during breastfeeding

Options
Hi y'all! New mom here - with a 6mo. I'm still breastfeeding and pumping but want to start the weightloss journey. I read some stuff online that says I should maintain atleast a 2200 calorie diet to support breastfeeding. But myfitness plan says my goal should be 1500 (understandably). What is the best method to do this while maintain the breastfeeding for the baby. Thank you !!

Replies

• jburnett3
    jburnett3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there I'm in the same boat. I need advice on Weightloss and breastfeeding.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    MFP cannot account for the calories breastfeeding burns so it won't give you the correct calorie goal unfortunately. Even calculators online are estimates. It won't be possible for any of us to give you an exact number for how many calories breastfeeding burns because it goes up and down with demand, so I recommend doing what I did and collect your own data over time and adjust accordingly.

The first thing I recommend is setting your MFP account to maintain your current weight and follow that calorie goal. Because breastfeeding creates a deficit, it's highly unlikely you'll need to incorporate a deficit on top of it in order to lose weight. If you exercise, eat back your exercise calories and set the appropriate activity level. For this to work properly, logging your food consistently and accurately is important. A food scale helps with that. You can visit the sticky threads to learn how to use one correctly and select appropriate entries when logging your food.

Secondly, I recommend tracking your weight in a trending app like Libra that will calculate your daily deficit as you log your weight over time. That will help you figure out how many calories breastfeeding is using. You should be aiming for one pound or less of loss per week while breastfeeding, and by tracking your loss over time you'll know if you need to manually adjust your calories or not. Too big of a deficit is not wise while breastfeeding, obviously, so you want to make sure you're feeding yourself well. The weight didn't come on overnight, and it won't leave overnight either. Also, don't think you need to do anything special with macros. Eat what makes you feel good!