Always over my Protein...........

Options
I am always over with my proteins - How can i prevent this ?
Also how bad is it to be over your proteins -

yesterday i was over by -75 - and all week i have been over around -20 to -30 ?

Please advice

thank you for your time

Replies

• melisay
    melisay Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am always over with my proteins - How can i prevent this ?
    Also how bad is it to be over your proteins -

yesterday i was over by -75 - and all week i have been over around -20 to -30 ?

Please advice

thank you for your time
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I as well tend to go over on my protein... however this has gotten so much better since I bought a food scale. Eye balling it just doesn't do it! I was using my hand as a guide (or the size of deck of cards)for 3oz as per my dietician and wow was that ever wrong! I can't believe how much more 3oz is than the size of my hand. I have really small hands but still! I was eating 3oz of meat logging it as 6! I picked up my food scale just a few days ago at Walmart for $14.99 and its digital and comes with a weighing tray.

Overall I don't think that going over on protein is a huge deal. It fuels your body with good energy and helps you build muscle while you are losing weight. I am more concerned with my calories, fat and making sure I have enough Fibre in my diet. I have been losing consistantly (15 lbs in 6 weeks) so it has been working for me.

Good Luck!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    While it's true that protein is a vital muscle food, your body can use only so much of it. "Any extra protein calories you take in will be stored as fat," says Molly Morgan, R.D., owner of Creative Nutrition Solutions in Vestal, New York. "

As a general rule, remember that 20 percent of your calories should come from protein." So if you're eating an 1,800-calorie diet, try to shoot for a maximum of 360 calories, or 90 grams, of protein each day. Low-fat milk and chicken are all good sources of lean protein.
  • cstang
    cstang Posts: 28
    Options
    I had this same problem and found out that if you eat too much protein your body isn't getting enough calcium, so I try to replace my "extra" protein with higher calcium foods. It's all about a balanced diet and learning how to eat. I added calcium to my food categories so I make sure I'm getting enough of all of my nutrients.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I was going over too. My body functions better on more protein and a little less carbs so I changed my percentages in my settings/goals to 45% carb and 25% protein. That helped me. Your body will adapt to the extra protein as long as it is lean and will use it. I agree with the calcium rich at least two servings of my protein are calcium rich like fat free cottage cheese and yogurt. :flowerforyou:

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

My favorite post for answers:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • fitchick99
    fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    So what happens when your diet goes far beyond the recommended level of protein, as you might do if following a high protein diet? One of the main concerns has to do with the stress put on the kidneys.

It is important for people on high protein diets to exercise because it can help the kidneys do their job of flushing wastes out of your system more effectively. Another issue regarding getting too much protein is leeching of calcium from the bones. The acids released by the body as it digests protein are absorbed with the help of calcium. So if you aren't getting enough calcium, your body will take calcium from your bones.

It's darn near impossible to go over on protein if you work out regularly, most calorie restricted diets don't give you enough wiggle room to go over on the protein.