Under calories but way over on fat

Options
No matter what I do today I'm over my fat allowance. I've eliminated my night snack, I've adjusted portion size and still way over fat allowance! What do I do?

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, calorie intake counts, not fat macro. What are your macro percentages?

Fat and protein goals are considered a minimum, not a max.
  • Cbkkata
    Cbkkata Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Personally, as long as I was under calories, I wouldn't care.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Continue to meet your calorie goal. Remember that the MFP macro ratios are just a suggestion and you can change them to be higher in fat if you'd like.
  • elliemae1981
    elliemae1981 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »
    For weight loss, calorie intake counts, not fat macro. What are your macro percentages?

Fat and protein goals are considered a minimum, not a max.

51 grams of fat is my limit. The way I had my dinner setup it put me over by almost 50%. So I just really shrunk the portion sizes down
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,481 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Is this a regular problem? Aside from this issue today, are you satisfied with how you are eating? Going over a macro 1 day is just a planning glitch.

Calorie counting has a learning curve. Macros, being more complicated, has a longer learning curve, keep working.
  • elliemae1981
    elliemae1981 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Not usually a problem. Bit due to an injury the end of March caused me to gain 10 pounds as I was in a walking cast and couldn't exercise. I fell and woke up an old injury from several years ago that didn't heal correctly and caused a bone spur to break off and I also have nerve damage in my foot and ankle. I went from 196 to 206 because of not being very mobile. I'm out of the boot and down to 201. I'm trying very hard to keep everything really low so I can get back on track.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options
    I'm always over on my fats.

Going lowfat has never worked for me.

It's about calories. You can find ways to cut down on fats in general - more vegetables, more protein.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have this problem almost on a daily basis. And I have a fat limit of 70g. However, I am usually okay on calories and it has not affected my weight, so, as much as I hate seeing that red number every day, I just go with it.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    No matter what I do today I'm over my fat allowance. I've eliminated my night snack, I've adjusted portion size and still way over fat allowance! What do I do?

I only really watch calories.
    I keep an eye on carbs but really only CICO is what everyone claims to matter.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    boehle wrote: »

its not a 'claim', its true for weight loss.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    boehle wrote: »

its not a 'claim', its true for weight loss.

For fat loss, yup.. lower carb can lead to bigger scale losses at first (water weight) and may help with satiety.
  • adamgodin2582
    adamgodin2582 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Tavistock do you think in the low cab Keto diet that the first 15 lbs that people lose in the first 10-15 days is mostly water weight?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Tavistock do you think in the low cab Keto diet that the first 15 lbs that people lose in the first 10-15 days is mostly water weight?

what do you think it is?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options

It's not a "think." It's a fact.

yes, I'm answering for Tavis. :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

10-14 lbs of that size of loss would be, though most don't lose that much that quick, maybe normal would be 5-7 lbs, again 4-6 of that would be water.
  • Osprey10
    Osprey10 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I look at my macros. If I'm high on fat low on carbs i eat veggies (if its evening i make a veggie soup with every veggie in the kitchen.) If I'm low on protein then i eat fish cause its high protein and generally low fat. Calories are what matters but if the high fat thing starts to happen often then I try to fix it in my meal planning. I'm always over by a few and I'm ok with that. Macro balancing helps metabolism.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Of course it's mostly water weight. There are fixed biological limits on how much stored fat can be metabolized daily.