I am gaining weight??

Options
SaraLynnFiske
SaraLynnFiske Posts: 38 Member
edited May 2018 in Motivation and Support
I have been eating right and exercising for the past 3 weeks or so and I am still gaining weight. I weighed 250.5 on the first day, 245.4 on the 9th day, and I'm now at 250.9 on the third day? I don't even know if anything is happening, and I'm feeling really discouraged. The first photo is today, and the second photo was a few weeks ago.

nlzms7pud79h.jpg
y73nl50a54wd.jpg

Replies

• rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by “eating right”? Do you mean “healthy” foods or do you mean eating food such that you’re in a daily calorie deficit? If it’s the latter, that first 5lbs in week 2 was mostly water loss, but that 5lbs up in week 3 could also be water gain (maybe 7lbs of water gain to mask some fat loss?). If it’s the former (healthy foods), that won’t help you lose weight unless you’re in a calorie deficit.

Also, water gain is shorthand for water in your tissue plus whatever might be stored in your intestines, etc. there’s a few reasons you might lose fat and gain on the scale. If you’re weighing yourself at the same time every day (preferably first thing in the morning after you go to the bathroom but before you eat anything) and you’re weighing nude, you can help minimize the variation.
  • SaraLynnFiske
    Options
    rj0150684 wrote: »
    What do you mean by “eating right”? Do you mean “healthy” foods or do you mean eating food such that you’re in a daily calorie deficit? If it’s the latter, that first 5lbs in week 2 was mostly water loss, but that 5lbs up in week 3 could also be water gain (maybe 7lbs of water gain to mask some fat loss?). If it’s the former (healthy foods), that won’t help you lose weight unless you’re in a calorie deficit.

Also, water gain is shorthand for water in your tissue plus whatever might be stored in your intestines, etc. there’s a few reasons you might lose fat and gain on the scale. If you’re weighing yourself at the same time every day (preferably first thing in the morning after you go to the bathroom but before you eat anything) and you’re weighing nude, you can help minimize the variation.

I have been eating healthy foods and at the calories limit that I was told to reach (1250 calories). I just wonder why my weight is going up. I went to the restroom and weighed myself and it said 248.5 this time, so it just keeps on fluctuating lol
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Weigh at the same time, best in the morning after using the toilet, without clothes or in the same clothes each day. Later in the day, your weight is meaningless because it includes anything you've eaten or drank and haven't eliminated yet.

As far as eating, how are you measuring your food intake? Measuring cups, scale, eye-balling?
  • SaraLynnFiske
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »
    Weigh at the same time, best in the morning after using the toilet, without clothes or in the same clothes each day. Later in the day, your weight is meaningless because it includes anything you've eaten or drank and haven't eliminated yet.

As far as eating, how are you measuring your food intake? Measuring cups, scale, eye-balling?

I have a scale and I use measuring cups as well. I'd weigh myself during the morning, but my dog dropped a bottle of perfume on my scale and it completely crushed the glass, so I need to buy a new one. I've been using my mother's scale at her house, but I don't get there until 3PM every day.
  • Cbkkata
    Cbkkata Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Also, with it being 3 wks you could be at a bloated part of your monthly cycle. I know my weight usually goes up right before I start. Female bodies are funny things.
  • serindipte
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »

I have a scale and I use measuring cups as well. I'd weigh myself during the morning, but my dog dropped a bottle of perfume on my scale and it completely crushed the glass, so I need to buy a new one. I've been using my mother's scale at her house, but I don't get there until 3PM every day.

Weigh everything except liquids (I weigh my thicker liquids like dressing, sauces, etc, as well).

That's why you're getting such large fluctuations (the 3pm weighing). Daily changes are normal, plus the fact that you're weighing late in the day, add in potential hormones/TOM. You're normal. Check on your logging, make sure you're accurate and give it time.
  • serindipte
    Options
    rj0150684 wrote: »

I have been eating healthy foods and at the calories limit that I was told to reach (1250 calories). I just wonder why my weight is going up. I went to the restroom and weighed myself and it said 248.5 this time, so it just keeps on fluctuating lol

By the way, with a SW of 250ish, your calorie goal seems excessively low. You look young, which is on your side in this, as well.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Your body weight fluctuates day by day. One day you may weight in and have a loss, the next you may gain. Don't go by the day by day weigh in...look at the over all weight loss. If over all you are in a slow downward slope, then you are going in the right direction.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    aside from all the other things, i would say at 250 you can eat a whole bunch more calories a day and still lose weight. i wish when i started at 250 i would have eaten 1600 base (not including eating my exercise calories back which i ate every single one btw) give yourself more than 3 days before panicking.