Confused

I was allowed to eat more food because of the amount of calories that I burned off in the gym. However, after I completed my diary entries for yesterday, I received a warning that I wasn't eating within my specific calorie goal. At this point, I'm sort of confused because I thought it was my choice whether or not I consume the amount of calories that I worked off. I don't know if I'm supposed to eat the extra I'm allowed, but that seems silly to me. If anything, me not eating the extra amount of calories would make my weight loss go faster. Right?

Replies

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    If MFP thinks you're eating too little you will get the warning. Usually its if your net is below 1200
  • seriousbizz718
    seriousbizz718 Posts: 7 Member
    I'll have to go back and check whether I ate at least 1200, minus the extra calories. That makes a lot of sense what you said. Thank you so much and I appreciate your response.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,027 Member
    Faster is not always better. Too aggressive weight loss especially when you don't have much to lose can result in a lot of unpleasant side effects and more muscle loss than you'll want. MFP's number is the amount of calories you personally need every day to do everything you do daily minus the deficit you wanted. When you do extra activity like going to the gym that adds to your deficit which is why you want to eat at least a portion of those extra calories back.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    You get the warning if you consume less than 1200 gross calories. And the way MFP is set up you're supposed to eat your exercise calories back, or at least a portion of them. Faster weight loss isn't necessarily healthier.
  • seriousbizz718
    @MichelleSilverleaf I definitely don't want the negative side effects. I just feel like I have to force myself to eat more food now. I drink a lot more water now and I don't feel as hungry anymore. As for losing muscle, I'd be so pissed!!! Especially since I incorporate strength training into my workouts. The last thing I want is for all this training to be worthless. Thank you for giving me a better understanding of MFP program.
  • seriousbizz718
    @malibu927 Yeah, no wonder I received the warning. They probably think I'm trying to starve myself. Thank you so much for replying.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    @seriousbizz718

If you are already eating a very healthy diet, you don't get bonus points for being extra healthy. Sometimes I have days I just don't feel like eating, I'll have a candy bar or the little snack pack size of chips just to hit the 1200 calorie minimum. Having snacks in moderation isn't bad, especially when 90% of your diet is very healthy.
  • seriousbizz718
    edited May 2018
    @VUA21 This is nothing to brag about, but I almost wanted to laugh when you said the word "healthy". I definitely have to make some changes to my diet. I think I sometimes get overwhelmed at the mere thought of what it takes to eat healthy. I thought that as long as I stay within my daily minimum calorie goal, it really shouldn't matter what I eat. Am I wrong?
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    @VUA21 This is nothing to brag about, but I almost wanted to laugh when you said the word "healthy". I definitely have to make some changes to my diet. I think I sometimes get overwhelmed at the mere thought of what it takes to eat healthy. I thought that as long as I stay within my daily minimum calorie goal, it really shouldn't matter what I eat. Am I wrong?

As long as you stay within your calorie goal, you will lose weight. You don’t have to eat ‘healthy’ for that.

It’s generally considered a good idea to eat a reasonable amount of fruit and veg (for micronutrients and fibre) and make sure you get enough protein and fat. Other than that, knock yourself out by eating whatever you fancy or whatever suits your goals.

If you’re well under your calorie goal, eating a calorie-dense chocolate bar to give your body enough energy is perfectly ‘healthy’!
  • seriousbizz718
    @ceiswyn well it's official!!! Your comment is the first one to ever receive a hug from me. Congratulations!!! :) I literally woke up and had a snack of two chocolate chip cookies. I felt a little guilty, but then I reminded myself that as long as I don't go over my calorie goal, I should be good. The fact that you just confirmed that makes me feel so good. However, I will try to not snack so much and will choose to actually fill my body with food that will sustain my appetite. I think the worst thing that I could ever do is to cram my body with junk food and meet my calorie goal that way. I definitely don't want to be starving!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    @MichelleSilverleaf I definitely don't want the negative side effects. I just feel like I have to force myself to eat more food now. I drink a lot more water now and I don't feel as hungry anymore. As for losing muscle, I'd be so pissed!!! Especially since I incorporate strength training into my workouts. The last thing I want is for all this training to be worthless. Thank you for giving me a better understanding of MFP program.

drink less water.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    To the original poster: best of luck on meeting your goals! And as far as eating "healthy" foods, you would be surprised to see the amount of ice cream I can make fit in my 1420 calorie allotment! Lol

It initially seems like you are cheating eating all the things we have been told are "bad". But as mentioned above if you keep just below your calories given you are good to go!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member

For me healthy is just well rounded to get a good balance of vitamins and minerals from food. Nothing weird or horrible. Veggies, some fruit, lean meats, grains, complex carbs. Basically a pot roast & trimmings with pineapples for dessert (normal food). Nothing complicated or hyper restrictive (no plain baked chicken breast with kale and quinoa 3 times a day - yuck). That's all.