Weak wrists/grip?

Options
I'm struggling with increasing my weights (dumbells) for arm exercises to more than 25 lbs. my wrists/hands start to hurt. Any advice or exercises I can do to help? I feel like I could lift more and don't want to stagnate my progress.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Make sure you keep your wrist straight. There are gripper handles you can use to help strengthen your grip.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    The more you do it, the better you'll get at it. That applies to everything.
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Farmer carries should help.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Farmer carries
    Deadlifts
    Shrugs
    Pronated curls
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Which program are you following?
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    In addition to those above grip trainers (fake Capt. Crush or similar) work wonders and you can do them almost anywhere.
  • thenaj17
    thenaj17 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You need to do separate exercises specifically for wrists/forearms. As Pinggolfer stated above 4 exercises + a few of the following that you can see on youtube how to do:-

Dumbbell wrist curls
    Reverse wrist curls
    Reverse bicep curls
    Hammer curls
    Zottmann curls (especially good!)
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I use wrist wraps for heavy weight (body weight push jerks, heavy bench press etc). Dead hangs off a bar, low weight but regular grip deadlifts, then just squeezing my ball into a fist and releasing a few times day.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue at first. I felt like my wrists would snap off! It got better though. I have to wear a wrap or sleeve still every now and then but I was still able to progress just fine. Stick with it!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    You may be overgripping. You shouldn't have a white knuckle grip most of the time. It should be just firm and tight enough.

You may also be doing too many reps/sets and fatiguing your grip, forcing you to white knuckle harder and fatigue worse.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    what exercise does this happen on?
    How many reps do you do per set?
    how many sets do you do?