Running and 1/2 marathon training

Options
2»

Replies

• Colleen219
    Colleen219 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

That said, if you have an aspiration to complete the HM at any pace above your easy run speed, you've got to do a couple of full 13 milers during your training. 13 miles at even a fairly moderate race pace is worlds different than 10 miles easy (or even 10 miles at your target HM pace).

Agreed. For my first half I had to run 13 miles during training. I needed to know I could do it and at the pace I wanted. The idea of running 10 miles and then still having another 30 minutes of running was pretty daunting to me.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Colleen219 wrote: »

That said, if you have an aspiration to complete the HM at any pace above your easy run speed, you've got to do a couple of full 13 milers during your training. 13 miles at even a fairly moderate race pace is worlds different than 10 miles easy (or even 10 miles at your target HM pace).

Agreed. For my first half I had to run 13 miles during training. I needed to know I could do it and at the pace I wanted. The idea of running 10 miles and then still having another 30 minutes of running was pretty daunting to me.

I avoided it and when I did the half, it was the fist time I ran more than 12, which I had done twice. I actually did it slightly better than my normal pace, which was 10 minute miles (2 hours to run 12), but I did the half in 2:08:25. At my normal speed, it would have been almost 4 minutes slower. Not a lot of difference, but surprised me.
  • reginakarl
    reginakarl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    OP are you worried that you are hurting your ultimate race pace, or that you are jeopardizing the actual ability to run the full half when the time comes? If you are worried about pace in particular, for example if you are wanting to do your ultimate best, then you will have the most accurate estimation of that by running strait through. Otherwise it will be completely fine if you are splitting it up but still getting the mileage in one day. If that’s the only day that works for you and it doesn’t ruin your motivation to take the break don’t stress over it!

My goal is to finish and it will be a PR for me as it's my first half. I have a feeling that I'll be doing some walking intervals during the race. Perhaps I'll be more concerned about the time for future races.

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts on this topic for the past few days. I can see a pattern with the logic. I did an extra mile before run club began on Wednesday. Having unbroken long runs will be better for my overall endurance training, both physically and mentally. Will I be able to finish a half with some broken up training runs? yes. But, I will be slower than my 10 mile pace. Thank you!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    The long run is a key part of your training. You won't get the benefit if you split it.

Word of advice - if your goal is just to finish the HM regardless of pace, then a couple of 10 mile long runs during training will be more than enough to allow you to achieve that goal. It'll be a little tough for the last couple of miles but you'll be fine. No need to run the full 13 beforehand.

i would disagree with 'got to' run 13 miles prior to the race.

i race to half marathon distance. i only run 13.1 miles when i race it. i am fine with training runs to 12 miles.

For a first time half marathoner who is going to target to finish the race at a pace above easy, I would argue that it's critical to run an entire 13 beforehand in order to judge pacing strategy and to confirm that the target is in a reasonable range for the distance. With a longest run of 10 miles at 100% easy pace, you're simply asking for trouble by trying to 1.) set a personal mileage best and 2.) set a personal best for pace at the same time.

I wouldn't disagree that the person will be able to physically finish the race with a long run in that range, it's more a matter of how much pain they'll feel at the end, if they'll have to stop and walk/rest during the race, their risk of injury/strain, and most importantly, how much they'll enjoy it.

I hadn't run (and I use that in the loosest sense of the word as I used run/walk intervals) more than 10km before I did my first half and I finished. With my second I hadn't run more than 2km without stopping to walk and ran the first 20km. I don't know what plan the op is using but my long runs in my training plan for August are certainly not at easy pace, they're at race pace. I have never done the full distance in training for a half or above. Well I did for my last half but that was a training run for a marathon in itself.

To the op, I really wouldn't break the long runs up, you're not building the mental strength to go that little bit further without stopping and for me that's an important aspect. It would be much better to run the 4 miles beforehand and then continue on with the social 3 miles.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    I hadn't run (and I use that in the loosest sense of the word as I used run/walk intervals) more than 10km before I did my first half and I finished. With my second I hadn't run more than 2km without stopping to walk and ran the first 20km. I don't know what plan the op is using but my long runs in my training plan for August are certainly not at easy pace, they're at race pace. I have never done the full distance in training for a half or above. Well I did for my last half but that was a training run for a marathon in itself.

To the op, I really wouldn't break the long runs up, you're not building the mental strength to go that little bit further without stopping and for me that's an important aspect. It would be much better to run the 4 miles beforehand and then continue on with the social 3 miles.

What training plan are you using? I don't claim to be an expert on this, but the training plans that I've seen all have a weekly long run at easy pace with a distance that approaches the ultimate race distance over time. It's a common basic key to conditioning.

Race pace runs are also common, but they're usually relatively short and infrequent (for example, 10K at race pace a month in front of a half marathon). I don't think I've ever seen a plan that has you running the full race distance at race pace before the actual race itself?
  • firef1y72
    Options

What training plan are you using? I don't claim to be an expert on this, but the training plans that I've seen all have a weekly long run at easy pace with a distance that approaches the ultimate race distance over time. It's a common basic key to conditioning.

Race pace runs are also common, but they're usually relatively short and infrequent (for example, 10K at race pace a month in front of a half marathon). I don't think I've ever seen a plan that has you running the full race distance at race pace before the actual race itself?

I'm using a slightly modified myasics plan. I've got it set to 2xruns a week, one shorter 7-10.5km and one longer 7-17.5km plus I do a technique session with my PT 1xweek. Only in the first couple of weeks this time round, but followed the same app for marathon training. The last 2 long runs before tapering are 17km at pace which is ever so slightly slower than race pace. Mind the MYASICS does ask me to go a lot slower than my running pace, so my PT gets me to just use it for when and how far I should be running and as we know I can already run a lot further than half distance she wants me to push pace.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Colleen219 wrote: »

I was the same way. I needed to know that I could do it, and that I could do it at the max time (or under) for the half I was racing.

I now stick to 10 miles in training runs, but for that very first time, I needed to know that it was something I could absolutely do. (My dietitian joked that well, OK then, I'd actually run *two* half marathons in less than six months.)
  • DX2JX2
    Options

I'm using a slightly modified myasics plan. I've got it set to 2xruns a week, one shorter 7-10.5km and one longer 7-17.5km plus I do a technique session with my PT 1xweek. Only in the first couple of weeks this time round, but followed the same app for marathon training. The last 2 long runs before tapering are 17km at pace which is ever so slightly slower than race pace. Mind the MYASICS does ask me to go a lot slower than my running pace, so my PT gets me to just use it for when and how far I should be running and as we know I can already run a lot further than half distance she wants me to push pace.

That plan seems so terribly odd to me. I would venture a guess that it's an exception rather than the rule but if it works for you, it works for you. I guess experienced runners can get by with that kind of mileage if they already have the legs/conditioning for the distance and aren't looking to really push performance but wow, only two running sessions per week is nuts.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    For a first time half marathoner who is going to target to finish the race at a pace above easy, I would argue that it's critical to run an entire 13 beforehand in order to judge pacing strategy and to confirm that the target is in a reasonable range for the distance. With a longest run of 10 miles at 100% easy pace, you're simply asking for trouble by trying to 1.) set a personal mileage best and 2.) set a personal best for pace at the same time.

um... both of those things kind of automatically happen at the same time. Whatever she runs is going to be a HM PR as long as she finishes. I doubt the OP is aiming to finish faster than their shorter run easy pace for a first half.
  • DX2JX2
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

um... both of those things kind of automatically happen at the same time. Whatever she runs is going to be a HM PR as long as she finishes. I doubt the OP is aiming to finish faster than their shorter run easy pace for a first half.

Many people do target to finish their first half faster than their easy run pace. Heck, if you follow a traditional training plan, finishing the distance itself can be relatively anticlimatic since your weekly long runs will already be close to that distance. Under a good HM training plan, the fact that you'll be able to physically finish the race is practically a given.

The concept that any first time through a distance is a personal best isn't wrong, but it's really just another way of saying that the priority is on physically finishing the race.
  • firef1y72
    Options

That plan seems so terribly odd to me. I would venture a guess that it's an exception rather than the rule but if it works for you, it works for you. I guess experienced runners can get by with that kind of mileage if they already have the legs/conditioning for the distance and aren't looking to really push performance but wow, only two running sessions per week is nuts.

I actually run 7 days a week. I'm doing a running streak of at least a mile a day.
    2 days a week I run the distance the plan asks for (some days on top of the mile as I run down from school drop off to PT.
    On Wednesdays I do a technique session with my PT, this could be hills, sprints, form or more likely a mix and usually ends up being around 3.5k.
    Also on Wednesdays I do a sprint interval session, I take a slow 1km to warm up as I get to the path I like to use, then do around 2-2.5km worth of sprint intervals before taking a gentle jog back home to cool down (this week Wednesdays total was around 7.5km)
    Along with running I do another 4x PT sessions a week, I also attend up to 10 high intensity classes a week and strength train 3x week. I physically couldn't do any more and if I were going above the 17.5km i would probably have to drop something as I did when marathon training.
    I may not be fast but I only ever try and beat myself and I have great stamina and am able to recover very quickly (I was back doing bum to floor squats the day after running a marathon).
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options

I ran 2 or 3 times a week before my first half. My bread and butter run was 6 miles, but I ran a few 10s and a 12. For a week before the race, I ran nothing but 6s so I wouldn't need recovery from recent runs right before I ran the half. It worked out okay; I ran the half at a slightly better pace than I usually ran the 6s.
  • reginakarl
    reginakarl Posts: 68 Member
    Options

I'm using one of Hal Hidgon plans that has speed work, long distances, and cross training.
  • steplaj
    steplaj Posts: 586 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hi everyone

I have a group called the FAT2FIT WEIGHT LOSS CHALLENGE and SUPPORT GROUP... We have a lot of runners and walkers in our group and I would love to add more. Please take a minute or two and check out our group. Be sure to stop in a couple of the team chats and see all the posting our members are doing in regard to running and steps. If you like the group, join us - we'd love to have you with us!

Thanks

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/114605-weight-loss-challenge-and-support-group
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    If I were you I’d start the run earlier and then do the last 3 miles with the group or modify your plan so you do your long runs on a different day and have Saturday as an easy short run. But ultimately it depends what your goal is. If your goal is just to finish the half then you’ll be fine doing as you’re doing.