From healthy weight loss to eating disorder

Options
Jazminur
Jazminur Posts: 1 Member
edited May 2018 in Motivation and Support
Well, I’m here to get some support from anyone really. I started my journey 2 years ago at 250 lbs over the course of 5 months I managed to lose over 60 lbs and was at 188 lbs (my lowest since 2009). I did it pretty heathy, lots portion control and excercise. I felt great! I managed to keep the weight off and semi sustained for about a year. Around the time of college graduation, I started to gain the weight back slowly but surely... letting myself slip into the 200’s again then 210’s etc. From that point on I have struggled so much with my weight, my mental health surrounding my weight/food, depression, binge eating, bulimia, anorexia. I have developed many eating disorders trying to lose the weight that I gained back. I really need some help, how can I get back to losing weight the healthy way? It was much easier to control what went into my body when I worked part-time and was on a more flexible schedule. I work 6am-4pm 4 days a week and have pets who take up my time after work, can anyone give me tips or have any insight to share? I really want this rollercoaster that my weight and health have been on to come to an end. Thank you for hearing my struggles and sharing your thoughts and knowledge. Pictures attached of my highest, lowest, and crazy unstable weight.

Replies

• Smaronoah
    Smaronoah Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would hate that work schedule! I do better with 5 8's because then it's a regular routine that doesn't leave you too exhausted to exercise. I went so far as to take a second-shift job from 3 to 11 when I was younger, just to avoid night time snacking! Sometimes willpower isn't enough, and you need to change the environment to support your goals.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Ive been where you are. I was 283 down to 155 and now sit in the 220's. Once I hit that goal and eating disorder also hit. I felt so out of control and gained weight back faster then I had lost it. Plan plan plan. I try to eat more to have a small deficit. Losing to much to fast is a bad road for me. Seek therapy if you can. It can help work through some issues you may not even realize are issues.
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Wow, 60 lbs in 5 months is really fast. It sounds like you cut calories way too much and lost weight really fast. Now you are hungry from restricting a lot.

I suggest going slow and setup MFP for a 1.5 lb a week loss until you hit 200 lbs and then change it to 1 lb a week. Be patient and the weight will come off. Just think about it, if you lost just 1 lb a week, you would be 50 lbs lighter in a year. Think about a year ago and what you were doing. Now think about your life a year from now and what it would be like if you lost 50 lbs over that year.

It took me 14 months to lose 72 lbs. That sounds like a long time, but I’m no longer obese a year later and at a healthy weight. I wear a size 6/8 pant this summer. Last spring I wore a tight 18. Through out my weight loss I told myself over and over again, a year will come and go very quickly. A year later you could still be miserable and overweight or you could be close to your goal weight. I made a choice every day to be closer to my goal weight.

Be kind to yourself and treat yourself how you would treat someone you love.
  • ashxtasticness
    ashxtasticness Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Weight loss and exercise can be tough to keep actually healthy, and a lot of people don't realize that they aren't actually being healthy until it is too late. I'm glad you recognized the signs and are ready to make some changes to achieve healthy, sustainable weight loss. I have found that meal planning/prepping is incredibly important to me. Plan your meals ahead so that they can be healthy and filling and you'll have everything you need when you go to prepare/prep them. Also, moderate exercise (walking the dog at a brisk pace, taking a jog etc.) is effective! I always thought you had to bust your bum for hours a day... turns out you don't always and your body will thank you for being gentle in the beginning.

Best of luck to you, stay strong :)