age and weight loss

Options
hi am 37 year old male , and does anyone know if there is any real truth about it being harder to loose weight when you get older

Replies

• pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    Not sure, but I'm 44 and with a balanced diet and exercise, I'm down 26 since May 8th. My wife, also at age 44, dropped 35 by taking up running.

Your metabolism may slow down a bit as you get older, so you may have to adjust your diet, but if you get some exercise in, and eat less calories than you burn, the weight should come off.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Oo, I've never heard of that. I'm 43 and finding it fairly easy to lose, but then I'm sticking to the basics (net calorie loss) and I had quite a bit of weight to lose. I expect it'll be a bit more difficult to lose the last few pounds though.
  • richardzaccone
    richardzaccone Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am 66 and since March 29, 2011 have shed 23 pounds. Walk about an hour a day on a treadmill and log every ounce I eat, my mainstay lunch meal is a forified salsa concoction and chips.
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I am 53 and although Ive heard it's harder for a female as they get older to lose weight I have had no problem really. I have been on this journey 6 months exactly and have lost 82lbs! It's getting harder the more I lose which is just like anyone else, but wasnt hard to begin with.

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    49 here with 59 lost ... I struggled for the first few months but wasn't as dedicated to it as I am now.I have 35 to go & believe if I keep with the portion control, balanced diet, exercise & logging what I eat, it works.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    hi am 37 year old male , and does anyone know if there is any real truth about it being harder to loose weight when you get older

i lost 100lb between 37 and 38....

your metabolism slows a little as you get older but i don't think it's that big a deal in your thirties.
  • Chemmy
    Chemmy Posts: 23
    Options
    I'm 40 and have lost just over a stone in 7 weeks (15lb to be exact). I can't say it is harder as I never needed to lose weight in my younger years.

As it is I am not finding it difficult, in fact I am losing weight quicker than I had planned. I am running now and some strength training so I would have put on some muscle as well.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 I was fine at 37, but once i hit 40, the bad eating started catching up no matter how much I worked out. My opinion is that the metabolism becomes less effective at dealing with sugar and processed carbs as you get older.
  • kernowprincess
    kernowprincess Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 45 and my metabolism has definately slowed. Just started a diet and fitness regime so not sure if it will be hard to get rid of the 2 stone I aim to lose.
  • DropsOJupiter
    Options
    I am 55 and only started to address my weight issues when I was over 50. For me, losing weight was a tad slower, only because with increased experiences in life, accidents and general aging process, it was a tad more difficult to move intensely for increase calorie burn. That doesn't mean I can't, just means I take a bit more time to get there. That said, it's all worth it !
  • wwilli42
    wwilli42 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    7 lbs in 2 weeks here with a good diet and calorie counting along with portion control. I'm 42 BTW
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I'm 36 and so far so good for me. A little over 2 months and down almost 40 lbs. As you get older your age will start trying to take away some of your lean body mass, which will lower your maintenance calories unless you get into the gym. Put some weight on the bar and do some manly squats. Growing a beard helps too. Ask Chuck Norris.
  • whitesquirrel
    Options
    I have put on weight in different areas over the last couple of years and think my metabolism has slowed a little. I know I can still lose it though - I just have to try a little harder and exercise more. :-) I might try growing a beard too if it really helps - if it's good enough for Chuck...
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I found hitting 50 was like the best before date, and things didn't happen as easily as before. Except packing on the weight ... it crept up slowly when I wasn't looking :-) When you get older, it takes longer to recover from injury, faster to lose muscle gains from weight training, and harder, though not impossible, to lose weight. If you're in your 30's or younger, use this time to develop good eating and activity habits because it will determine what defines your old age, both physically, cognitively, and health-wise. Seems like a long way off, but believe me, time accelerates with age!
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 I was fine at 37, but once i hit 40, the bad eating started catching up no matter how much I worked out. My opinion is that the metabolism becomes less effective at dealing with sugar and processed carbs as you get older.

Yup. Again. What he said. I'm 48. I blew up right around 37. For the last ten years I've stayed reasonably active.
    It wasn't till last year when I seriously looked at the food in my daily diet that I've seen any change in my physique.
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and have lost over 104 lbs in 8 months with very few issues at all and without a heavy exercise regime.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    37 isn't old, but it is a busy age. so, as long as you make time to shop for the right foods and cook at home, you will have no problem losing weight.
  • kernowprincess
    kernowprincess Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and have lost over 104 lbs in 8 months with very few issues at all and without a heavy exercise regime.
    That is inspirational weight loss. Bye the way love the tatoos..
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and lost my first 30# rather quickly - from March - June. It's the last 10# that I am struggling with - but I'm not working as hard as I was on the first 30, either
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options

I read over and over again that that's the general "rule" but of course it will vary according to the individual. I lost over 124 between the ages of 39 and 46 and even kept all but 20 off. But it gets more difficult every year and I'm starting to gain even. My doctor recently told me I needed to eat a third less and exercise a third more. My husband, on the other hand, is 53 and, while never obese and never more than 20 pounds overweight, can lose without much planning or forethought (altho he's got me around to do that for him I suppose...). But it's now harder for him to build muscle. I think we're supposed to chalk it up to dwindling hormones, but I'm not going down without a fight!