Angry motivation, is it a thing?

Options
Looking for some pointers/ideas

Everyone gets angry...some over something so little and stupid and others get pissed off with personal life etc. Do most of y’all tend to work out more, harder when you are angry or does it hinder working out. I know for myself...it completely kills any type of motivation for me to work out.

Replies

• Darla77Darla
    Darla77Darla Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Totally a thing lol and totally helps
  • mgrabbs83
    mgrabbs83 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Totally a thing lol and totally helps

Maybe I’ll try yoga to find my inner peace. Haha.
  • Darla77Darla
    Darla77Darla Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I do stairs till im more sick then mad lol
  • Vonny198334
    Vonny198334 Posts: 178 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Absolutely! I understand where you're coming from, if I'm irritated or frustrated it can be really difficult to don the lycra.

I've learned to do it regardless because not only do those moods produce good workouts when I get into it, but afterwards I am much more clear headed.

On any day I don't really feel like exercising I make sure to do the most enjoyable parts of my workout(sometimes only the enjoyable parts!) & that the music I listen to includes my absolute favourites.

Also put no timer on myself that day, usually I push to do 45-60mins but on very reluctant days I just do whatever amount makes me happy.

Be kind to yourself...look after you the best way you can. Sometimes it's impossible not to let external sources sour our moods...but we have control over where we channel it. Hope you're able to find a way round this :)
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I do much better when I'm angry, especially if I rant at the same time.
  • skinnymeenae
    skinnymeenae Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Working out hard is indeed a way for me to process anger. I feel like anger increases my adrenaline. Would love to get a punching bag at home just for that :smiley:
  • Klmom123
    Klmom123 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Lol yes! When a family member makes me angry I go for a long walk . Fast and furious
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    I’ve done angry workouts. Good way to get hurt.
  • edmudman
    edmudman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    To quote John Lydon, "Anger is an energy", pouring it out into a workout is the best way to release it, better than carrying it around like a burden.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah...get in an argument with someone or get angry. My therapy is going for a run and sorting things out in my head and come up with a solution.

Nothing wrong with anger - it's just how you channel it.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!

Anger drove me the first few months of my weight loss journey.

I got so angry with myself, that I just used that as my drive. Also, when my teenage daughter pisses me off I've noticed I have faster run times.
  • mgrabbs83
    mgrabbs83 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Oh yeah...get in an argument with someone or get angry. My therapy is going for a run and sorting things out in my head and come up with a solution.

Nothing wrong with anger - it's just how you channel it.

That’s what I need to do. I need to learn to channel it.
  • dunkind45
    dunkind45 Posts: 110 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    It can both get me to work out harder and/or lose motivation actually. Depends what I am angry about and how much emotions have been built up inside.
  • philrtx
    philrtx Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The word you're looking for is spite.