Not hungry after work-outs!

Options
Why am I not hungry after I work -out? I ate 100 calorie breakfast crisps this morning before my work-out and worked out 30 minutes around 7 a.m. It is now time for breakfast and I am not hungry.

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've never been hungry just after a workout. Even if my tummy were grumbling before it would be at least an hour after before I felt hunger again.
  • jadior
    jadior Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite problem yesterday. I only did cardio for 25 min, but came home and was famished all afternoon.
    Not sure why this happens. When I work out at night, which is my usual time, I'm not hungry at all either. Go figure!!
  • HisBeloved65
    Options
    I am like that as well. I usually workout after work in the early evening. I do it right when I walk in the door so this is before dinner. I workout and then should be eating dinner but not at all hungry. I eat anyway because logic tells me that my body does need it even if it doesnt feel like it. I have trouble most days eating my calories during the day while at work and so I workout then eat dinner (usually chicken and salad) and then within an hour I am drinking a protein shake.

I try to eat even if I am not hungry especially when I am done working out. If I eat first, I get sick and dizzy while working out.
  • PageSalyers
    PageSalyers Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Food is the last thing I want after I work out. I do the 30DS at night. I also make my husbands lunch for work at night. The other day, I worked out, showered, then went to make his lunch, and it was nearly repulsive! I dunno what it is but Ive never felt that way about food so I guess its a good thing.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite problem yesterday. I only did cardio for 25 min, but came home and was famished all afternoon.
    Not sure why this happens. When I work out at night, which is my usual time, I'm not hungry at all either. Go figure!!

When I was in the army, I worked out in the morning til I threw up several times. You get better results in the evening and by that time the food you ate throughout the earlier part of the day is finally starting to get absorbed into your bloodstream, your digestive track is a lot longer than most people realize. Those post-workout protein shakes that people love so much, probably aren't helping them as much as they think they are unless they're getting them out of a bag with a tube in the wrong end. Also your blood pressure and resting heart rate are less likely to be high in the evening than it is when you first wake up. Olympic tainers know this already. Do a little searching and you'll see it for yourself. More olympic world records are beaten in the evening hours than in the morning.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Exercise for some people can be an appetite suppressant, although not for everyone. That is at least one of the reasons that it is important to eat all your calories on MFP even if you don't feel hungry because your body needs them, but is not telling you.

For other people, on the other hand, exercise makes them hungry. They need to exercise self control and not eat as much as their body thinks they should.

For me, I am a mixture of the two. More often than not, exercise will help me control my eating by suppressing my appetite. Sometimes it does the opposite though. I finish a workout and could eat everything in the fridge and then go to the store for more.
  • Chainsaw_Flowerchild
    Options
    I've never been hungry just after a workout. Even if my tummy were grumbling before it would be at least an hour after before I felt hunger again.

Ditto