How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
I was only doing it 1x/wk...but lately I find I'm on the scale every morning. It's actually been a motivator for me, seeing the number go down, even if it's only slightly. How often do you weigh yourself, and if you do it often do you record it every time in your diary?

Replies

• beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    studies have shown that you are more likely to lose and keep the weight off when you weigh in daily. I do it whenever I get the urge, officially monthly.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I'm at a goal of .5 pound/week or so and that means daily weighing doesn't show anything. I actually don't plan to weigh in again until the end of August. I will use the measuring tape during that time though.
  • jonlill
    jonlill Posts: 3
    Options
    I've heard that weighing yourself every day is not wise purely because it doesnt really give a true reflection on progress as so many different things affect your weight.

Personally I have been weighing myself every Sunday morning as that was the first time i weighed myself when i joined MFP

The other good thing is that you see more of an effect of your good work...i actually look forward to my weekly weigh in
  • willmichmike
    Options
    I try to weigh myself every morning this way you can keep up with the amount of weight you have post or God forbid that you have gained. It makes it a lot easier for me to do it this way.
  • mssweetjay
    mssweetjay Posts: 142
    Options
    Lately I been weighing myself everyday. I usually try to weigh every other day and I only update in my diary once a week.
  • dsevier12
    dsevier12 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to the scales, so I weigh ALL THE TIME.....not very motivating, since I have been at this for at least 3 weeks and not one pound have I lost!! However, my clothes fit me better, so I am not giving up.....I asked my husband to hide the scales and then give them back in October....hahaha
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Once a week. I don't have a digital scale though, and I probably should. I wouldn't see a half pound on the scale I have, and a whole pound is barely perceptible.
  • brianne801
    brianne801 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day with the intent of having a cool graph that allows me to visually see how my weight fluctuates and how my weight is trending. I use a 7-day rolling average to smooth out the fluctuations (accountant nerd here). It's actually really fun to see!

Honestly though, I have been reconsidering my decision lately. I tend to exaggerate the day-to-day differences even though I know I shouldn't. For me, seeing the scale drop from one day to the next is a huge motivator and a fun thing to witness. However, I've found that seeing the scale go up one day to the next (while perfectly normal) kind of de-motivates me, even when I know it shouldn't. I guess what I really need to have the best of both worlds is a scale that reads my weight every day and records it somewhere but doesn't tell me but once a week. Haha. :)

The guideline I have seen given most often is to weigh yourself once per week. Don't sweat the small changes. And remember to measure your body in other ways too because an increase in muscle could mean you gain weight even though you're losing inches! Good luck!
  • JonClaw
    JonClaw Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Once a week alongside waistline measurements.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the "bad" ones. I weigh myself every morning and every night. But I don't think it's doing any harm because I don't sweat the small fluctuations. I'm actually really interested in what causes fluctuations so I kind of pay attention to the factors that might have lead to them.
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week and measure once a month.
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Everyday around the same time after the bathroom and in under garments....I track everything in a spreadsheet and i log in any weight lose...I love watching the ticker move on this site and it gives me so much incentive to keep going...I've lost 4.5 pounds since Sunday and I was more motivated watching the little movements on the ticket than I would have been waiting a week and seeing a bigger number.....for me every little ounce counts to keep me moving!
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I am a daily weigher.. it's the one way that keeps me 'straight' you know on the ball and keeping an eye on my weight. I read an interesting blog on here though about fluctuations - which you have to allow for when weighing daily as sometimes the scale will move by as much as 2lb and it not be 'real'. It made interesting reading and I started a graph to plot my pattern over the remainder of the month.

There are many who say that daily weighing can lead ot 'issues' about weight later and I can appreciate that, so personally I am aiming to STOP weighing daily from September.. I'll be busier come mid sept anyway. But if I find I slip back a bit then I'll be back to daily. I see myself as having a weight issue for life, I'm not on a diet, I have changed my eating and this is part of the journey.

Good luck - do whats best for you and see how get on.
  • HisBeloved65
    Options
    I am addicted to the scales, so I weigh ALL THE TIME.....not very motivating, since I have been at this for at least 3 weeks and not one pound have I lost!! However, my clothes fit me better, so I am not giving up.....I asked my husband to hide the scales and then give them back in October....hahaha

I thought about doing the same thing....asking my husband to only give it back to me once a month but I think I wouldnt do well with that. I weigh every morning. It does motivate me. I am also learning my body patterns through this. I officially weigh and record my weight every week to week and a half.
  • sunchip318
    Options
    every morning! it keeps me on track, I feel like if I dont weigh in regularly I tend to not be as motivated through out the day. If I lost weight I'm happy and watch what I eat and if I've gained I feel like I need to get on the ball :)
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I was only doing it 1x/wk...but lately I find I'm on the scale every morning. It's actually been a motivator for me, seeing the number go down, even if it's only slightly. How often do you weigh yourself, and if you do it often do you record it every time in your diary?

i. AM. a. scale. addict. I weight myself daily and don't need to. :(