Keto diet and IF anyone?

Options
Betty925
Betty925 Posts: 5 Member
edited May 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I am starting keto diet. Looking for keto friends. Also doing IF. .

Replies

• TeoPark
    TeoPark Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 2
  • SarcasticBlondie2
    SarcasticBlondie2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've been Keto for about a year and a half. IF sometimes. Add me if you like.
  • tlr63
    tlr63 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I stared the Keto diet about a wk ago, and looking for others to talk to about the diet
  • sueyinglee
    sueyinglee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Keto and IF since April 17. What questions do you have?
  • lwolf88
    lwolf88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just started keto the other day!
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    silly question but is there difference between low carb/keto? low card just an old term? LOL
  • shallid1
    shallid1 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I thought I would struggle in the beginning IF (4 days ago) but it has actually been easier than starting low carb. I'm trying to reach the full 16 but at the moment 15 - 15.5 is where I actually notice the hunger building.

My question is.... do you break a fast with protein or fat?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    shallid1 wrote: »
    I thought I would struggle in the beginning IF (4 days ago) but it has actually been easier than starting low carb. I'm trying to reach the full 16 but at the moment 15 - 15.5 is where I actually notice the hunger building.

My question is.... do you break a fast with protein or fat?

I usually do with both. I find it hard to hit my protein goals if I go too low on one meal.
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I am doing both and eating most of my calories in 2 hours. It is working great!
  • jheye
    jheye Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've just been doing IF for a week- I just skip breakfast, then eat lunch and dinner. We usually have a late dinner, but if I'm through by 9 pm and I get lunch at noon-1pm I've got a good 15-16 hrs. fast. Lunch and dinner both include protein and fat. Daily carbs are between 20-50- I like cheese too much to stay below 20!
  • shallid1
    shallid1 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'll try to incorporate both to see how I feel and how my body reacts.
  • 43Ninebark
    43Ninebark Posts: 41 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I tried keto for a few days and then when I went back to eating normally, I had a load of noodles and got sick. Rofl It was so terrible. It was a major hassle for me to juggle the carbs, protein and fat. I put a disgusting amount of olive oil into my salad one time, and couldn't finish it. And then I could only have so much veggies that I was like, "why am I ever feeling bad about being a rabbit?? I mean, screw this teensy bit of brussel sprouts. I want more!" Bullet-proof coffee was yummy though!

I also stopped it because I heard that you end up developing intolerances when you cut out foods or cut back drastically. Like this one guy cut out milk for some reason and then he started getting horribly sick if food had any kind of dairy in it, and then he got a ton of other intolerances and a doctor told him that even if it made him sick, to start having a bit of milk every day- starting with just dipping his finger in it and building up from there. Not sure how true it is- haven't read/heard the story from the guy myself. But I don't have any food intolerances and I sure don't want them!
    Plus- eating in moderation, getting plenty of protein, and exercising worked for me in the past-- so best to leave well enough alone, eh? I don't worry about animals fats either- like butter, whole milk, or bacon grease etc. I'm native american and my ancestors ate a lot of meat, so I find that eating like they did works best for me. Rice, bread, pasta and alcohol, for instance, seem to make me fluffy too quickly, so I try not to have too much of it and I've stopped drinking alcohol for the most part... might have a cocktail once or thrice a year. And not only that, I don't want diabetes. I'm going to get sugar from fruit, treats, etc, so I really don't need to be adding to it with alcohol.

I think keto does work for people. My boss cut out sugar and started eating lots of fat (pork cracklings, yum!!!), and he was steadily losing weight. So good luck!

Oh and I am currently doing IF 18:6- except I'm cheating and having milk in my coffee because black coffee in the beautiful morning is just pitiful.
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    "
    kimber0607 wrote: »
    silly question but is there difference between low carb/keto? low card just an old term? LOL

Low carb is generally accepted to mean eating fewer than 100-150g of carbs (net or total) a day. Keto is very low carb, and is usually under 20-50 g of carbs a day - low enough to keep you in ketosis almost all of the time.

Gotcha
    curious for those doing keto..how is your energy level
    my issue with low carb is low energy
    i guess im not 100% clear of what I can eat and what I cant
    my friend went to a nutritionist who put her on a low carb diet but said soem foods were safe that I didnt think were
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    "

Low carb is generally accepted to mean eating fewer than 100-150g of carbs (net or total) a day. Keto is very low carb, and is usually under 20-50 g of carbs a day - low enough to keep you in ketosis almost all of the time.

Gotcha
    my friend went to a nutritionist who put her on a low carb diet but said soem foods were safe that I didnt think were

My personal experience is I have very high energy levels on Low Carb (under 60g at the moment).

On Saturday I did 3 hours of hard work in the garden (cutting a tree down) then a 30 minute run at the gym and all before I ate for the first time in the day.

generally it is only when I am doing HIIT or anything where my output is at 75% or more of my energy that I feel I need to pre-fuel for my workout.

As my username suggests, I play a lot of tennis and I generally perform better on court when I am eating in a LCHF model diet.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    "

Gotcha

@kimber0607
    The energy dip is usually from low electrolytes. When carbs are cut you lose water weight and electrolytes with it. If you don't replace those electrolytes with a fair bit if sodium, you end up with fatigue, headaches, moodiness, BM issues, nausea and muscle aches/weakness or spasms. If you aren't getting at least 3000 to 5000 mg of sodium a day, you probably need more.

For reference, 2300 mg sodium = 1 teaspoon salt.

Some will experience a mild energy dip for a few weeks to a few months as their body gets used to running on fat, especially those who eat ketogenic. It should be very mild though and only noticeable with strenuous exercise. Fatigue while inactive is probably caused by low sodium, not enough food, stress or poor sleep.

But what do you mean by "safe foods"? Do you mean too high carb to fit into the diet or something that is a food sensitivity for that person?
  • Book_lover92
    Book_lover92 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi feel free to add me if you want. If been doing keto almost a month and IF almost a week now. 12lbs down so far.
  • AndyLadd27
    AndyLadd27 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

There is! Keto is high fat.