Busy work life - Working out where to fit in workout.

Options
I have struggled for the past 6-8 months with balancing my work and my workouts. Only the last 3 weeks have I successfully worked out more than 2-3 times a week! Lack of workouts make me sluggish and grumpy ( and fat) so I REALLY need to make it work.

I have to leave the house by 7.30 and dont get home until 9pm most nights.

I have programmed myself to wake up at 5am but still struggle to be motivated to do anyform of calosthenics/cardio routines. So i've just been doing stretngth. I know I need more versatility but at 5am I just don't have the push (or area) to do it. I have flat mates that wake up to strength training so jump squats would cause a stir in my room so it'd have to be outdoors cardio in the mornings if I ever get the motivation to do so.

Anyone have any advice?

Replies

• jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    PurelyAmy wrote: »
    Lack of workouts make me sluggish and grumpy ( and fat)
    Not working out doesn't make you fat. A calorie surplus does.
    I know I need more versatility
    You don't need cardio/strength to lose weight. Calorie deficit for weight loss. Cardio for heart health. Strength to build muscle.

If you like doing cardio and can't do it at 5am, why not do cardio in the evening a few nights?

• 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Maybe join a gym and go before work.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you work try to get a workout in while you are there. If you can stand you can do squats. Get creative, go for walks on lunch, pushups, planks, situps. Spend 20 minutes in the morning going for a brisk walk before work then another 20-30 minutes of working out when you get home. Those long days suck but you just need to find a balance. Best of luck!
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I do the following two workouts back to back in the mornings. On weekdays I get up at 5:15 so I have time to workout, and then cool off again before I put on work clothes. Total of two combined is just shy of 30 mins, and there is no jumping so no waking up roommates! Both are made to be done in small places too, so that is great!

I am not a morning person either, and I usually start both of these very grudgingly. Sometimes I am actively fighting the impulse to just continue sleeping/browse internet in stupor. But by the end of them I am feeling mentally energized and ready to tackle the workday.

Jess Smith 1 Mile Workout - Walk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuan1Tsjul8&index=9&list=PLe5P3ayTEj7bU0ljnuSbKkKqaAlPlrLIY&t=0s
    Jess Smith 1 Mile Workout - Abs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpFqBE70jF4&t=2s
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have found success by
    1. Joining a gym
    2. Picking a program (strength training but also cardio) through bodybuilding.com
    3. Prioritizing it by getting to the gym by 5/530am

I don't really think about it much anymore. No need for motivation, it's just something I get to do, for me. It's fun to have a program with a general schedule because you don't have to make it up, it's just there for you.

Good luck.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Do you get any breaks during the day to squeeze in a workout?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There is lots of cardio besides jump squats. Go for a run or bike ride or get an indoor bike or elliptical. Jump rope outside. Go for a walk.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I have found success by
    1. Joining a gym
    2. Picking a program (strength training but also cardio) through bodybuilding.com

I don't really think about it much anymore. No need for motivation, it's just something I get to do, for me. It's fun to have a program with a general schedule because you don't have to make it up, it's just there for you.

Good luck.

Dedication > motivation. You just get up and do it.
  • cleesus
    cleesus Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    There is lots of cardio besides jump squats. Go for a run or bike ride or get an indoor bike or elliptical. Jump rope outside. Go for a walk.

I agree with this and the post above mine too
  • MamaNess2018
    MamaNess2018 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi Amy,
    I’m a working single mom and also have a hard time finding the time/energy to squeeze in a workout. One thing that has been helpful to me is to the free workout videos that they have on YouTube now. I’ve just done some 10 minute ones and really felt the burn!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I have found success by
    1. Joining a gym

Good luck.

Dedication > motivation. You just get up and do it.

Yep. I work 12 hour shifts in towns 500km away from home and still get mine in. it's all about sacrificing some things to achieve others. I almost completely give up TV time during my work week. it's get back to the hotel shower then sleep.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I workout at 5am - only way I can fit it in is if I do it before my kids are up, as on top of having 2 kids I work full time in finance, am working towards a masters degree, am manager (and sometimes coach) of my daughter's soccer team, am all around "school mum" when I'm able and have a husband who occasionally wants my attention as well. It's a struggle! Just make it habit. You don't "try" to go to work every day, you just do it - make it the same with exercise. If you are worried about your flat mates can you go out for a run?
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    What sorts of breaks do you get during the day? I would look at what I could fit in there
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Find 24 hour gym nearby and get up an hour early and just do it
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    First of all, BRAVO for still getting up super early and doing strength training. Sounds like a lot of people missed that you ARE getting up and working out in SOME form. I totally get not having the mojo for cardio in the morning.

I pack a gym bag and do cardio on my lunch break. I eat at my desk either a little while before or a little while after that. It's not perfect but it's better than nothing.

Also what is your commute like? Any chance of biking/jogging to or from work, even part of the way (e.g., getting off the bus two miles early, etc.)
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I struggled for a long time to fit in regular exercise into a hectic life. Various things worked at different stages.

Do you have any earlier finishing days? Maybe see if there are any classes or clubs that have something on those days?

Or can you get out during the day to go for a walk/run or hit the gym? Going to the gym during my work hours is working well for me at the moment - but I realise I am very lucky to have flexible work and I can do that.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I'd say keep up the strength training and add cardio on your lunch break or days off.
  • jesguinn
    jesguinn Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    To motivate myself to get up and workout early it helps to have others who are counting on me to be there. I meet my running group 3-4 days per week for a group run at about 4:30 a.m. and go to a 5:30 barre class on the days I don't run early in the morning. Maybe you could find a running group or a class- bootcamp, crossfit, whatever- to get you going early in the morning. Misery loves company! It's really not that miserable, though. Waking up so early sucks, but getting your workout in early in the day is a great way to start the day with a sense of accomplishment. I'm also fortunate to have a free gym membership at a gym next door to my office through work, so I often squeeze in a second workout during lunch.
  • edmudman
    edmudman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any advice?

Get up at 4am, wake up slowly, coffee or energy drink, by 0430 you'll be awake and ready to go

When my alarm goes off at 4am, I remind myself there will be people more driven that got up at 3 am and are already 1 hr ahead of me.
  • nodley
    nodley Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, life is too busy. I leave the house at 7:30am and get home for 6pm. By the time I've cooked a meal, done packed lunch for the following day, done the chores etc I get about 30 minutes or so to exercise if I want to get a full 8 hours sleep in. I can't just go to bed and fall asleep, I like to watch TV/read for an hour until I get sleepy.

I split my weight training into 3, so each muscle gets trained twice a week, and I get a rest day whenever I feel like I need/want it. That way I can manage on just 30 minutes or so exercise each day.