I can't break through the 200 lb barrier

Options
My goal was to get under 200, and I lost 21 lbs relatively quickly (about 6 weeks),, but I've been stuck around 201 for weeks now. Yesterday I left about 1800 calories on the table, and this morning I went for a 1 hour bike ride, but when I weighed myself it was still 201.2. I just want to see that 199 even if it's just for a day.

Replies

• porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Ok, stop weighing.. keep counting those calories and drop them a bit - see the goals tab in your weight part and you can set the calorie to deficit enough. Just do the eating and exercise, don't weigh for a couple of weeks, measure your inches if you want and see if you get progress there. :)

I found it really hard to break 200 too - like my body was reluctant.. but honestly it can just be a fine balance of the wrong foods etc.

Keep up the great work and it will happen.
  • susygarcia1029
    Options
    You have lost 3 1/1 pounds per week in 6 weeks. That is great!!!!! Keep up the good work. Don't step on the scale for a few weeks, keep counting,exercising and eating right. If you don't lose anything in 3 weeks increase your calories by 10% and workout 5-6 days a week with 1 rest day. See if that helps.

Good luck!! and Great Job!!!!
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I too, will someday be approaching that barrier. Take some time to step back, relax, focus on your successes this far and most of all, be PATIENT. It sounds like a typical plateau. After the first few pounds, the rate of weight loss can slow significantly. You didn't gain all this weight overnight, and it's not going to come off at some smooth predictable rate. It goes in fits and starts.

If you've been stuck at the same spot for more than three weeks, then perhaps it's time to mix up your routine. Add calories, reduce calories, add exercise, reduce fat intake, increase carbs (the good kind, not refined), whatever it takes. The cool thing is that if you don't give up, the number will eventually go down. Unfortunately, it doesn't go down by willpower.

Best wishes.
  • purplecait1212
    Options
    Have you reset your goals/calorie intake according to your new weight? It is going to be different when you are lighter!
  • carloP90X
    carloP90X Posts: 109
    Options
    If your eating plan is honest, for the next 7 days do 7 workouts that you have never done before. Like porffor said "Keep up the great work and it will happen"
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    You're eating a lot of processed foods. Go for more fruits, vegetables and homemade food. It'll have a lot less sodium and you'll get a lot more fiber.Make sure you're getting your minimum calories every day.

Keep (or start) exercising. Make sure you're getting the heart rate to an aerobic level. Lift weights too. Building muscle helps burn fat.

It'll happen.
  • AnathemaTeatime
    Options
    I've had a few barriers like that that my body just doesn't want to break/ I thought I would *never* see a "6" in that spot . . . I was in the 170s for months, up and down up and down. On my doctor's advice, I changed my workout to 4 days of 1-hr cardio, 2 days of weight training, and a "free" day for yoga or another run or something. Part of the key is to vary that one hour of cardio and make it *hard*. Ride your bike or run uphill, do intervals, etc.

The other thing my doctor said was to cut out all refined carbs. So, wholegrains are still okay, but no white flour, no white sugar, no alcohol. No "bad" fats--olive oil, nuts, and avocados are okay. After only a few weeks of this plan, my weight started dropping fast. I can't say I've stuck to it perfectly, but every time I start to plateau, I've gone back to it. I am now less than a pound from my final goal weight!
  • SpeedBump1
    SpeedBump1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I saw 199 once briefly. Afterwards it was back to 200 and 201. I have noticed that previous snug shorts are no longer snug so something good is happening. Don't give up. The scale may not be giving but the fat is.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Of course you can..you've done a lot already. Stick to it and it will come. Most people give up with they get frustrated and gain it back, but you just need to hang in there, keep doing what you're doing and it will happen.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck in the low 200s for quite a while. Since May, actually. I've been within 5 lbs of 200 since then. It's been a struggle to stay motivated when my weight loss has slowed so much. But I kept at it. I don't wanna jinx it, but I think I may have broken through. I've been following all of my nutrients more closely. Today, I'm less than half a pound away from seeing that 199 number. And I'm gonna take a picture!! We'll get there. We just gotta keep at it!
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough. If you're documenting everything you eat you may be starving yourself a bit (leaving 1800 calories on the table isn't a good thing), which is making your body hoard every bit of fat it has. Try eating healthy foods but getting closer to your goal calories.