How much of a difference does 10 pounds make?

Options
I'm just curious to how you guys felt after losing 10 pounds? Did you feel better or notice a difference physically? Or what about 20 pounds? I've lost 14 pounds so far and think I'm still the same size. Although a couple have coworkers have commented on me looking a little smaller

Replies

• MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Weight is so misleading. I’ve lost 25 pounds but it’s the inches where I notice the big difference.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

... 10 lb off morbidly obese probably not noticeable in any appreciable way. ...

Well, yes and no.

From one who is, and is down 70+ lbs from my max (28 since Jan 1st), I feel different every 10 lbs.

Since Jan 1st, I've been bike riding on a new bike my family bought me for a Christmas/Retirement gift, as my new "job" is to "get healthy." I've been doing just that. This has been both stationary cycling in the gym through the winter months and getting out for "realworld" rides when possible. Now that Spring/Summer is here, the percent of outdoor to indoor has reversed, and swimming is now coming into play as well. Dietary management (MFP) is vital as well.

I've been going to a nutritionist, and he's been measuring the gradual "replacement (=buildup)" of muscle mass from my exercising to fat lost (the electrical conductive scale test method), so it isn't all about simple pounds lost.

I have more energy, endurance, better cardio, am more alert, etc. So it's all good.

Back to the original question. I may not have felt appreciably different - or remembered noticeably -on any given day, and any given chunk of pounds weight loss, but I have journal entries to refer to my individual 10lb milestones (I plan by chunks, not overall, as these are easier to manage/attain while keeping a far-off goal in focus as well). The journal shows progress as real effects in their times.

I could go another 50 lbs or more. My 2018 adjusted written goals are 15 more by Thanksgiving. I started 2018 planning for 25, so I've hit that. It's not getting easier, it's a steady chipping away, pound by pound.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    It matters for me because I'm short. 20 lbs is 3 dress sizes. 10 lbs also makes a big difference.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I lost 150 and every 10 lb was noticeable and made a difference in how I looked and felt. It might depend on your expectations too.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Appearance can be a motivation to lose weight for just about anybody, but there are other reasons:

- Improved health. Just about every risk factor scales with weight above your healthy range (although that can be hard to define).
    - It makes a huge difference to athletic performance. Even 5lbs lost makes it much easier and fun to exercise at almost any level from walking to sprinting. Many other daily activities also get easier, including gardening, housecleaning. When you lose weight, you should definitely go out dancing!
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I lost 25-30 lbs and shaved off 3-4 mins off my time for running a mile.
    I woke up one day and decided to test out running a 5k again and breezed through the entire thing under 30mins, something I couldn't even do in highschool when I played soccer.

And I did it this past weekend again so it wasn't just a fluke.

My friends and grandma noticed after 10-15 lbs well that's when they said something. I didn't see a difference until I hit 25-30, though I think some of it was my brain catching up.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I don’t really notice it day to day. But after losing 37+ pounds since 14 Feb I notice it when I’m on my bike climbing hills.

I also put on a 25 pound weight vest and walked around. That’s an eye opener. I could feel the weight. And to think, I was carrying around half again as much as the vest.
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    10 lbs really changed my face. I also lost a pant size. Lost a total of 20 lbs so far, but gained 4 back, and I really noticed those 4.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    3 Minutes on my half marathon time. 10 Pounds is HUGE when you are trying to run fast.

It makes no difference in my physical appearance or the way I feel.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    It matters for me because I'm short. 20 lbs is 3 dress sizes. 10 lbs also makes a big difference.

I’m only 5’ tall. It only takes a 5 pound gain for my clothes to be too tight!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    3 Minutes on my half marathon time. 10 Pounds is HUGE when you are trying to run fast.

3 measley minutes? Is that a typo?
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your build, as well. I'm very short with tiny bones, so any loss or gain is very noticeable to me. I would imagine if someone was much taller with larger bone structure, it might be different.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    When I was morbidly obese, 10lbs was nothing. Only the scale moved is how I knew I lost weight. Now that I'm a lot lighter, 10lbs is very noticeable. It's more about the percentage of excess weight (fat), than the actual poundage.