New to MFP need some motivation

Options
New here need some friends to encourage and motivate. Been on this fitness journey for a year and haven’t seen much progress lately. Frustrating...

Replies

• Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Progress with weight loss is far from linear. There are weeks I lose weight, weeks I stay the same and weeks I gain even though I am sticking to it. But in the end, it goes down. The main thing is just what I said... sticking to it. Don't give up, just adjust where you need. Whether it is making sure you are always accurate with measuring and recording your food, adding exercise or changing your exercise, you just have to keep at it.
  • 22patti07
    22patti07 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think the sticking to it part is the hardest. I do good then “fall of the wagon” as far as eating clean goes.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Stop trying to eat clean and just eat.

One of the biggest mistakes people make is completely omitting food that they deem "bad" or "unhealthy".
    Eat what you want to eat. As long as you are staying in a deficit, you will lose weight.

You don't have to drastically change your life to lose weight :)
  • 22patti07
    Options
    Well the “bad” “unhealthy” things that are the worse for me to avoid are all the sweets. Maybe weight loss is not #1 priority at this moment. I’m down 20 lbs it took me a year but I did it. I really want to tone up.
  • Champd36
    Champd36 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Eating clean became easier for me when I learned to make clean sweets. Mom gave me the worst sweet tooth ever and to this day it is my weakness. I have found that making the sweets is easier and helps me keep it to a minimum.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest mistakes people make is completely omitting food that they deem "bad" or "unhealthy".
    Eat what you want to eat. As long as you are staying in a deficit, you will lose weight.
    You don't have to drastically change your life to lose weight.

You're receiving some great advice here. When we assign moral judgments to food we box ourselves into a corner. I was a really bad girl today. Yesterday, I was naughty... everything becomes all or nothing, good or bad, naughty or nice. When we have a fail then we feel like throwing the towel in. Starting over and over and over again. The best thing is to keep going regardless of yesterday's flop. Think of your very next meal as your reset. You can clear the decks every single day with breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Don't think of MFP as a temporary diet. You create your plan with your foods and stay within the boundaries here. It simply works. When you start to meander too far outside of your normal river banks, just reel it in. Your next meal is your new beginning.
  • gurrolagirl
    gurrolagirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    22patti07 wrote: »
    New here need some friends to encourage and motivate. Been on this fitness journey for a year and haven’t seen much progress lately. Frustrating...
    Well the “bad” “unhealthy” things that are the worse for me to avoid are all the sweets. Maybe weight loss is not #1 priority at this moment. I’m down 20 lbs it took me a year but I did it. I really want to tone up.

• gurrolagirl
    gurrolagirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. I am not 100% on a diet but I am 100% about change right now. I make better and healthier choices everyday, but I also allow myself some pleasures as long as it is within my calorie intake for the day. 40 calorie fudge pops or Bomb Pops are my favorite and today I had a Jr Cheeseburger for 300 calories! Then back to veggies and chicken at night. It’s a balancing act for sure!
  • 22patti07
    Options
    Maybe I’m being too hard on myself. I mean I’m down 20 lbs I have been working out 5 days a week but have to remember progress isn’t overnight.
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Maybe I’m being too hard on myself. I mean I’m down 20 lbs I have been working out 5 days a week but have to remember progress isn’t overnight.

Exactly. It takes time. My weight has gone up and down even though I've lost over the long term. If I gave up when it goes up or stays the same... if I gave up because I look in the mirror and see no change... I would give up EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Just stick with it and know the changes are happening and coming.

As far as wanting to tone up, make sure that you are implementing strength training/resistance training. Toning up won't come from how you eat or what you eat, that is weight loss. You need to do strength/resistance training with either weights or even body weight in order to change your physique.
  • Bellavita31
    Bellavita31 Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me..