Low carb vs regular CICO?

Is there any noticeable difference in weight loss if sticking to low carb vs pure CICO? Assuming calorie intake is the same on both.

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    No. I go over 200 grams quite often. I lost over 65 pounds, now in maintenance. the biggest question is what mix keeps you from getting hungry or not feeling deprived of things you like. Also, at least hit minimum RDAs on all macros.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Assuming both calories and protein are controlled for, no.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Whether you are gaining, losing, or maintaining weight - "pure" CICO is in play, whatever that means.

CICO isn't a method and it doesn't mean counting calories or eat whatever you want as long as you are in a deficit. It is simply an energy balance equation, and even if you follow a low carb diet, CICO still applies to you.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2018
  • eeblet
    eeblet Posts: 1 Member
    I will say that eating a higher ratio of fat and protein has given me more energy. I was on weight watchers for a few years and dropped 70 pounds but then plateaued, so now I'm here.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Is there any noticeable difference in weight loss if sticking to low carb vs pure CICO? Assuming calorie intake is the same on both.

low carb is pure CICO.

If you mean is there any noticeable difference to low carb and calorie counting/moderation, assuming calorie intake is the same on both? then no, there will likely be no noticeable difference.

If both are done correctly both can be health and successful. Its all about stickability and finding what works for you.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member

False dichotomy.

You will do CICO regardless of the nature of your diet - low carb or whatever.

If you are doing low carb, you will just have a lower CI from carbs and more from protein and fat

CI is just the total caloric intske intake based on how much you ingest of the 3 macros.

It's not rocket science.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I find that I lose very slightly faster on a very low carb diet than I do at the same caloric level at a higher carb level, but I have some insulin resistance so that could be why.

I perceive losing weight while lowcarb to be easier than when higher carb because of how it affects my body... And quite common.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I have tried low carb before but once I ate carbs again, initial rapid weight loss came back so I assume it was just water weight. I couldn't do and wouldnt want to do low carb long term. My favorite food group is fruit. Counting calories works if one sticks with it.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    As everyone said, CICO is not a diet, whatever diet you choose, CICO will always be in play unless you have some hormone thing that prevents you from losing weight (which is a rare condition).
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    The only solid reason to reduce carbs is if you have insulin resistance or diabetes and have been given medical advice to so. Otherwise it’s just about what is easier for you. I never experienced the magic appetite supppressant effects low carb is supposed to have when I tried it. I find carbs very satisfying and my wallet is a lot happier when I’m not using meat as my main source of calories.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    I reduce my carb intake if I want a good pick me up on the scale (or pick me down?) lol because I don't hold onto much water after a couple days of low carb. Other than that if you're doing low carb to lose weight and are successfully losing weight you are "doing" CICO. There's kind of no way around that.

For me there is a difference in "weight" loss but not in fat loss. As soon as I up my carb intake the water weight comes back lol but hey, it's nice to see the scale go down a couple pounds for a couple days.