Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Does anyone have any personal recommendations for the best brand/make of heart rate monitor? There are so many on the market, I'm finding it hard to make a choice so would really appreciate any tips, advice or guidance you guys can give!

Replies

• hootle77
    Options
    I use a sportline watch. It does lots of crazy extra stuff like counting your steps but I honestly cant figure out, or dont have the patience, for all the extras but as a heart monitor its great! Plus its a cute little watch! Hope that helps...
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    everyone will tell you Polar is a the best brand...I'm not arguing that fact, but I went with a sportline duo 1010 because of the cost and I've been very happy with it!!
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I just wanted a basic HRM that would just tell me my calories burned, that's all I wanted. I got the Polar FT4 from amazon.com ($50 plus free shipping) and I love it.
  • nickiben
    nickiben Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Polar are the best. They do lots of versions, got mine cheap on Amazon.com I love it!!!!!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I currently have Polar and Garmin. They have both lasted for many years and have been through a lot of abuse. Previously I've had Timex and Sportsline. They both worked okay but only made it a year at best.
  • HisBeloved65
    Options
    Does anyone have any personal recommendations for the best brand/make of heart rate monitor? There are so many on the market, I'm finding it hard to make a choice so would really appreciate any tips, advice or guidance you guys can give!

I love love love love my heartrate monitor! I have the polar FT4 (I think) lol. I love it. At first I found it frustrating because I found that MFP's numbers were very generous but now I am finding it not so much so. I used it when I did some heavy moving/cleaning in the garage craft room. I wore it the whole time and burned just under 500 calories in 2 hrs. When I compared that to MFP's numbers for that activity it was not too much difference. But...I love seeing the numbers on that watch. It helps me to push a bit farther past that point where I want to stop. I would highly recommend any Polar HRM product. Awesome!
  • Keemeri
    Keemeri Posts: 74
    Options
    Hi! I have a Tech4 and love love love it! It has everything. I was training for half marathon and wanted to know what my body was doing.

Features
    Speed & Distance metrics
    Calorie counter (my best friend)
    Heart Rate monitoring (love it)
    2.4GHz wireless transmission speed. Coded technology prevents interference from other watches or exercise equipment
    PC Uplink
    Dual-Time/Date/Day
    Alarms
    Step Counter
    50 Lap Chronograph
    Countdown Timer
    EL Backlight
    100M Water Resistance

http://store.tech4o.com/products/379882/Accelerator Pro Plus?pid=e1db5a2c4a4de20a02085fbf9a78dd7c

It truly is personal preference. I wanted to buy only one.
    Good luck!
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I've got a Polar FT7 ($55 new off ebay) and love it. Having a HRM frees you from having to time your exercise. You just start it and go. The calorie counting is great, but I've started to also like just seeing the avg/max heart rates-lets me know if I really was working as hard as I could.
  • tusher2011
    tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster above me...the Polar ft7 is awesome. I got mine on ebay for $60 free shipping. I've such different calories burned from the treadmill/bike/elliptical readings vs what the HRM says. It;s so much more accurate!! Also, yesterday I went walking at our local park, put on my HRM and it told me how many calories I burned. No more guessing.
  • smileserena
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the recommendations and these have helped me to narrow down the shortlist. Thanks guys :)