When you made the decision to stop focus in lbs and moved to losing fat

Options
2»

Replies

• raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Set your goal to lose 0.5-1 lb/week, get adequate protein, and take part in a progressive lifting program. If you only lift 2 days/week I would suggest 2 full body days. check out stronglifts 5x5 and do it 2 days a week instead of the perscribed 3 days. Or reduce cadio to 3-4 days a seek and follow the program as designed.

Are you training for a biking event? If so, keep that up and do the 2 day full body, if you are not training for an even, you may want to reduce cadio and increase strength to 3 times a week full body.

nope just like riding my spin bike. Sorry if my stuff wasn't clear. Yes i only do 2 days of weights. 1 day is upper body and second day is lower body.

to follow this style of method, do i just use IIFYM to calculate my macros or is there an even better one?
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    One day, I just realized that a number on the scale is so arbitrary and has nothing to do with how fit I am. So, I want to get fit, whatever weight that is.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Just make sure it isn't a cop out - giving up on a weight goal because it's hard and then using inexact methods to measure BF% with less frequency. One reason to use weight is that nearly everyone has a device at home to measure it with reasonable accuracy and consistency. The BF% on scales or handheld devices are a joke.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I made the decision to focus on fat and muscle and not lbs from the beginning. Lbs could be anything. Water, muscle, bone mass or fat. A training program that develops or keeps muscle mass and a reduction in body fat are obviously best IMHO. If you like to ride, ride. But don't short change yourself on muscle mass.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    raven56706 wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    Set your goal to lose 0.5-1 lb/week, get adequate protein, and take part in a progressive lifting program. If you only lift 2 days/week I would suggest 2 full body days. check out stronglifts 5x5 and do it 2 days a week instead of the perscribed 3 days. Or reduce cadio to 3-4 days a seek and follow the program as designed.

Are you training for a biking event? If so, keep that up and do the 2 day full body, if you are not training for an even, you may want to reduce cadio and increase strength to 3 times a week full body.

nope just like riding my spin bike. Sorry if my stuff wasn't clear. Yes i only do 2 days of weights. 1 day is upper body and second day is lower body.

to follow this style of method, do i just use IIFYM to calculate my macros or is there an even better one?

I always concentrated on fat loss rather than just weight loss.
    In fact I would have been happy to stay the same (over) weight if I could have added 30lbs of muscle instead of losing weight but that wasn't feasible.

I doubt you are achieving anything useful with your odd choice of a 2 day split. Fiddling about with macros when your training is woefully inadequate is focusing on the wrong area completely. Your diet supports your training and it's your training you should fix first.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    If you're just doing two days make them both full body so you are hitting all the muscle groups twice a week.
  • andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Ive always been more focused on fat but i take weight in consideration too and lastly i measure myself. I think everything togheter makes for a good standpoint on how my bulk/cut is going.
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    MyEvolvingJourney Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Do you mean work on body composition? I think if you start to get close to your goal weight and aren't seeing the progress you hoped for, it might be time to think about focusing more on lifting and muscle retention for those last 10lbs or recomposition depending your situation.

I would say as soon as I started lifting my focus shifted away from the scale to focusing on muscle retention and building. Since I am closer to my aesthetic goal, I focus on other measures of progress. I use the scale to tell me if I am losing, maintaining or gaining. The number itself really doesn't mean much to me anymore.
    I love that! I'm trying to shift my focus away from the scale. It's hard though. I still have a lot of weight I want to lose. But the scale is so frustrating! I recently got custom macros from IIFYM.com and they also recommend not focusing too much on the scale. Especially if you're working on maintaining or gaining muscle. I'll get there.