Original Goals?

Just wondered whether people set their "dream" weight as their goal straight away or set smaller goals and kept changing them?

Replies

• ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    I started with a goal I knew I could make and reassessed. I went down 10 more from there.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    My goals are clothing sizes not weight. I'd rather have something tangible that I can wear than some number on a scale.

When it get to a place where I am happy I have achieved my final goal weight.

These are my personal preferences so they only have to be right for me. How you set your progress goals (if you have them) and major goal is up to you. If celebrating more often will help you set your goals accordingly.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    I have 1 main goal, which may change when I get there, and I also have 2-3 smaller goals to hit along the way.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    My goals are constantly changing. When I started on MFP many years ago I was 130 lbs and my goal was 120 lbs. Then it was 115 lbs, then 125, and now 140. I started as a runner and became a lifter, so my ideal physique has changed a lot over the years.
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    I believe in setting realistic goals. I would love to be skinny and be able to hold it forever. Realistically, it probably won't happen. I have a long-term goal and a short-term goal. My short-term goal is designed to allow me to reach a goal and reset it frequently. It gives me the positive motivation I need to be able to see a result and keep on track.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    I have an ultimate goal but I set up mini goals with rewards along the way. Ie: 10 lbs down - mani pedi. 15 lbs- new undies, 20 lbs - new jeans etc all the way up to professional fitness style photos at my goal. (Or a trip. Or both. Lol)
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    I chose the last weight at which I was happy with how I looked, but I'm keeping in mind that, when I weighed 125#, I didn't work out AT ALL. And now I walk about 18 miles a week and do body weight exercises, so I might look in the mirror at a higher weight and decide that I'm there.
  • mazcor536
    mazcor536 Posts: 115 Member
    Initially I chose an ultimate goal (10 stone -140lb), but altered it a few months ago to 154 (11 stone) as an initial goal because I’m beginning to suspect 140 will be rather low for me. Once I hit 154 I will reassess. (161 now). I’m actually not fussed where I land now weight wise, it’s more about finding my happy spot where I fit in the clothes I want to fit into (size 12uk).
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Started with a goal that was the top of my BMI range and once I got there decided on the weight I was when I finished school which was the only time in my youth/adulthood where I was not overweight. I never thought the second goal would ever have been achievable if that were my initial goal.
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    I think a lot of it really depends on where you are at on your journey. I am 6' tall and if I were the 195 pound guy I was shortly after high school it would be reasonable for me (personally) to set my goal of getting to 175 and solid. Now when I started my weight loss & be healthier lifestyle change, I was at a BMI of 52.5 and weighed 387. Buying clothes meant either going to the limited expensive stores (like Casual Male XL or the like) or ordering them online.

Ideally I WOULD like to get to the 185 I was in high school 32 years ago but it is easy for many people to set themselves up for failure that way, including myself. The idea that anything less than perfection is failure.

So for me, when the doctor at the hospital's bariatric center asked me "What would you like to see yourself get down too?" I felt that even though I was down to 356 at that time, I thought that 225 was a reasonable first goal and that from there, I could reassess how much more I wanted to lose. She agreed and that is where that is at for me.

If you look at my goals and motivations in my profile you see something I mentioned earlier. I wanted to be able to buy clothes in "normal" stores like Walmart, Fred Meyer and other everyday stores. Most of them don't carry pants that are above a size 44 to 46 waist or shirt sizes above 2XL. At right around 300 pounds now that is happening and it feels great to not have to dread buying clothes and having the hope that MAYBE this store will have 1 item that will fit me.

One of my other goals/motivations is living and the commitment I made to my wife when we came together. We met online playing Everquest (a video game) and when things clicked and I knew I was supposed to be with her, we talked about it a bit. We lived 2300 miles apart at the time and it meant I would be moving to her. I said to her during the conversation, "I don't think you understand what I am offering..." She said, "Yes I do. You are talking about the next 20, 30, 40 years." I couldn't keep that promise to her if I was going to eat myself to death before we made it to 20 even. So it was important to me to get myself in better shape and better health to be able to keep that promise by reducing my risk of pre-mature negative outcomes.

For different people it is different obviously but I think it is important to have smaller goals along the way that allow you to celebrate your progress rather than having it be an all or none proposal. I feel this is especially true for those of us who are larger and have a lot farther to go.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    edited May 2018
    I've started with my ultimate goal first of 62kg. I've set myself a few mini goals for along the way, but really aiming for this goal. I am however wondering if I should lower my goal when I get there. I'm not sure right now. I have a dream weight goal which is about 57kg. Although mentally it's a place I'd like to be, I'm not sure that physically it would be the best for me (as in, I like to be able to eat the food that I like, but I'm not sure that I'd be able to spare the calories to maintain that weight). I'll see how this goes.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I started with a goal to get to a weight range I was comfortable with for several years. When I was getting close, I thought about adjusting my rate of loss to come in a little slower and decided not to adjust it and aim lower at the top of my BMI range. Then I decided to keep from repeating mistakes of the past, I would not allow myself an ever increasing upper limit if I expanded my range, so I made the goal weight be my upper limit. After I got below it, I didn't like being close to the limit, so I decided to maintain in the range of 4-9 pounds below limit.

I am 5'8" and I was 223 pounds last summer. My first goal was 180. I changed it to at or below 164. I decided on a maintenance range of 155 - 160. This morning I was 156.6, so I am where I want to be. I need to make adjustments to stop losing. I stayed very close to 160 for over a month before deciding I want a lower range, so I know about where to adjust to to stay close to the same weight.
  • ashxtasticness
    ashxtasticness Posts: 160 Member
    I have my dream goal set on here, but chose a first goal for my fitbit that I can update once I reach that. It's nice meeting goals and I have a lot of personal goals, some not even related to my particular weight. Just silly things, but things that matter to me.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Ultimate goal is my original goal with mini goals in between. For instance I wanted to be in a certain pair of jeans a certain time frame. Then set a new goal whether it be a fitness goal or a weight/size goal. I decide as I go but have not changed my original goal. 37 more pounds until I hit that number.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited June 2018
    I had small goals all the way. At 307 (heaviest) I just wanted to get back to my usual 260s-270s. After achieving that I was striving for 220, then 199, and finally 180.

Since 180 I haven't had a real goal in mind...I stay in the 160s-170s (for years now) and haven't really wanted to go down further yet - I wouldn't rule it out, though. I am slightly overweight, all health markers good, and satisfied aesthetically with my current state.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    My first goal was to lose down to my starting weight at the beginning of my last pregnancy. That was 55 pounds. Then my next goal was 10 pounds after that. I'm 2 pounds away from that second goal, which puts me at the top of a healthy BMI. Based on aesthetics, I'd like to lose a little more than that but no more than 10 pounds I think. That puts me a little higher than the middle of a healthy BMI. After that, I'll continue with strength training and recomp,
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    I had a general end goal but not set in stone. Focused more on smaller goals and some non-scale to keep my sanity. Not having been not overweight since preteen years it was hard to imagine even getting below 150 when having known for so long above 200. Now have been 130s for over a year and working to get at the top of the healthy range for my height (4’11”).