recommend running shoes please!

Options
I am new to running..just started a new program. I like to say i'm "learning" to run :) Everyone says "shoes are essential!!".. what shoes do you all recommend? (i've noticed a lot of ppl saying to get "fitted" for running shoes...where can this be done at? i'm basically in a po-dunk town LOL)

Replies

• crystalmichelle82
    Options
    i have sauconys, they are white, grey and yellow. Can't think of type but they are so comfy!
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    asics!!
  • otgrouch
    otgrouch Posts: 21
    Options
    I have a pair of sauconys. I went to one of those stores where they actually have you walk and jog on a treadmill. That's the pair they suggested to me. I love them. They also were one of the shoes with a wide width.
  • run_momma_run
    Options
    Shoes are essential, but you need to be assessed and fitted properly. You might pronate or supenate, or you might not do either. In any case, you'll need to be fitted with the right shoes to prevent injury if you plan to train a lot in those shoes!

I've worn almost every brand of shoe there is, but my favorite fit to date is Saucony. But that's for ME. You might completely disagree with me.

So start with the foot assessment and go from there. Plan to spend a good amount of time at the shoe store trying on different shoes...
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    I love my Asic Gels

6219-603016-p.jpg
  • run_momma_run
    Options
    I have a pair of sauconys. I went to one of those stores where they actually have you walk and jog on a treadmill. That's the pair they suggested to me. I love them. They also were one of the shoes with a wide width.

YES! Go to a running store that actually has a treadmill (you might need to make a special day trip for this if there's nothing in your area). The reason this is such a great idea is because when I walk, my feet pronate, but when I run, I correct myself. So I don't need a shoe to fix the problem, and I wear a neutral shoe. And what do you know, once I made the switch, all my foot and leg/knee problems disappeared!!! (That and I now know how to properly plan a training schedule for myself too...)

If you don't have a shoe store like that in your area, see if you have a sports pathologist. You can get an assessment in his/her office and then go to the shoe store afterwards (but then you'll probably need to pay for the visit)...
  • Johnsweaver
    Johnsweaver Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Take a ride to the big city and get fitted. Greeneville had a couple places: Fleet Feet Sports, Run In, Inc..
  • bf41382
    bf41382 Posts: 51
    Options
    Take a ride to the big city and get fitted. Greeneville had a couple places: Fleet Feet Sports, Run In, Inc..

I agree! http://www.fleetfeetsports.com/locations/greenville

I've bee going to fleet feet for my shoes for years. I wear Brooks, but my wife hates brooks lol. Best thing I like after the fitting, is that if you wear to shoes for a while and they arent working for you they'll take them back. Cant beat that!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I just started running last week. I recommend you go to a shoe store that specializes in running shoes and get fitted for your particular type of feet. I tried on five different brands and found the Saucony ProGrid Omni 10 were best for my feet. I did this on Tuesday and it has made a huge improvement in my running. My feet and legs do not hurt now. I went to Fleet Feet in Memphis. They have stores all over the country.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have Saucony shoes. Love them. I recently had to see a podiatrist and asked him his opinion on running shoes and he said Saucony is one of the best. I think mine are excursions. Black and hot pink.
  • mikki3
    mikki3 Posts: 63
    Options
    Getting properly fit for shoes is really important. There are different types of shoes for those who pronate (feet roll inwards), supinate (feet roll outwards) or who are neutral. Running specific stores have staff who are trained to determine what foot type you are. If you accidentally buy the wrong type, you can cause all sorts of problems from knee and hip pain to plantar fasciitis. Whatever you do, don't run in "cross trainers".

There are many high quality brands out there. Some fit wider feet better, others narrow feet. Some have tons of cushioning and others better arch support. It all comes down to what feels best for you. I own a pair of Saucony for road and treadmill and a pair of Nike for trail running. My husband is currently using New Balance. His last pair were Asics. I tend to try on every pair in the store to find the best fit for me.

If you don't have a running store in your town, it might be worth a trip to the nearest one just to get fit. Once you find a pair you love, you can buy replacements online. If that's out of the question, visit websites for the major running shoe manufacturers. They might have a fit guide that you can use at home. Good luck!
  • jennor8or
    jennor8or Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    hahaha!! yes yes, big city of Greenville..i just got done texting someone saying "i'm sure greenville or asheville has somewhere" :p
  • ladybug11
    ladybug11 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    There are Fleet Feet stores all over the country. I live in a semi-po-dunk town and found stores an hour away in either direction. The beauty of this national chain is they film you running on a treadmill to see how you land (pronating, supinating, neutral) and fit you from there. The correct fit, as has been stated, is very important. You can also do the wet foot test. Dip your foot in water, then step on a piece of paper. Google "foot strike analysis" and find a site to which you can compare your wet foot form. Supination is rolling outward, pronation is rolling inward.

I personally prefer a minimalist shoe, like Nike Free Run. These mimic barefoot running, and are a fairly universal fit. I know this is somewhat generic, but hope it helps.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I personally LOVE my Brooks Addiction! I pronate a lot and they have lost of support for me!
  • CCGwald
    CCGwald Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Go to a professional ( Running Store) especially the first time. Get fitted for the shoes that fit your needs, it is different for everybody. It is worth thef few extra dollars. ( cheaper than throwing a pair out ) Also don't forget some micro -fiber running socks if you have any issues with blistering; cotton will just make it worse.
  • crummywatertowr
    crummywatertowr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My wife and I spent a half hour at our local running store. I tried on every brand that fit my style of running (I'm an overpronator). It's a lot like Harry Potter, in that I found the shoe picked me not the other way around!
  • jennor8or
    jennor8or Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    thank you to everyone ...i believe i'll be visiting fleet feet :)
  • ebert5150
    ebert5150 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You should also think about doing some reading on proper running form. You can have the best shoes in the world and if you have bad form you're still going to get hurt. Everyone seems to get get caught up in finding the perfect shoe instead of the perfect training program. Ease into your running, don't be afraid to walk as part of your workouts and do some research on proper form. Oh yeah...be careful...running can be an addiction :-)