Beyond Hungry

Options
I am allowed 1350 calories per day but most times I feel like it’s not enough. I end up so hungry that I sometimes get dizzy. I just started trying to seriously count calories this week and it hasn’t gone so well because of the constant hunger. I’m thinking maybe if I can stick to it for a few days maybe my body will adjust? Anyone else experience this and can offer advice?

Replies

• jorichards2
    jorichards2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Check your activity and height settings are correct. I set my weight loss goal to 1.5lbs because on 2lbs I felt the same. Since the change I fill better and the weight loss is more consistent. Slow and steady is best.

I’ve also found that I feel less hungry when I get at least 20% protein and my carbs are around 50%. If the carbs creep up I seem to get hungry.

I aim to prepare the majority of my meals and ensure 1/2 my plate consists of low cal salad or veg, this helps you feel more satisfied.

Hope this helps good luck
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    1. Is your calorie goal too low? How tall are you, how much do you have to lose before you reach your goal weight, and what is your weekly weight loss goal set to?

2. How many of your exercise calories are you eating?

MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    When I am hungry I try to incorporate a snack that involves fruit or veggie along with a protein. Most of my snacks revolve around adding another fruit or veggie serving. Example - small cut up apple with a spoon of peanut butter, or low carb vanilla yogurt with a cup of sliced strawberries. Pick the snack you think you will enjoy the most that also adds nutrition. Eat slowly and drink more water. Don’t stress if you go over your calories every now and then. Just keep logging and use the data for future planning.
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 1lb a week, so I get more calories. Then I workout every day and that gives me more I can eat. With no exercise to offset, I get 1900 calories a day. I scaled that back to 1800 to have a buffer for myself (I don't weigh everything, so I want some wiggle room.) After my workouts, I get 250-450 additional calories for the day, depending on how intense I worked. I typically eat back about 75% of those, sometimes more if I decide to splurge or treat myself with something.

It's slower weight loss, but I'm not starving and I have room for treats, so it's easier for me to stick with it. I also watch my macros. Carbs help me feel full, so Carbs are 45%, Fat is 35% and Protein is 20%. I'm going to slowly try and change that to 40, 35 and 25 over the next month, as I feel with some of the strength training that I need a bit more protein to help with muscle repair.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I learned this very early on:

Try cutting back your portion sizes. If you eat less you will have more calories. And if you are still hungry take seconds of veggies not the higher calorie items.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    The dizzy bit is worrisome. Try adding some bulk low calorie stuff like a cup of carrots and a cup of broccoli- that's darn filling with relatively few calories.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I was like this to begin with. I realised I wasn't eating enough. Unless you plan to be hungry for the rest of your life, sit down and eat some more food. Personally I find it a heck of a lot easier to enjoy my diet when I give myself a little bit more calories, as opposed to loathing it on just a little less.
  • notafatmommy
    notafatmommy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would also look at what you are eating. For me higher protein with lots of veggies keeps me from feeling hungry. I also cook all my meals at home and feel like I get a bigger bang for my buck. I know for me 150 calories in chips will not keep me full, but 150 calories of veggies will.
  • ashxtasticness
    ashxtasticness Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to what you are eating. Protein helps keep you feeling full longer than anything else. I've been told that at least 25 grams of protein should be in each meal and to try to keep your carb/protein ratio equal or more protein than carb. Best of luck to you! It's never good to feel hungry.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    1. Is your weight loss goal too aggressive? If you've chosen 2 pounds a week, go to 1. If you're at 1, consider .5 instead.

2. Are you eating back exercise calories?

3. Are you getting enough protein, fat, and fiber?
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options

Try cutting back your portion sizes. If you eat less you will have more calories. And if you are still hungry take seconds of veggies not the higher calorie items.

I don't think she needs to cut back her portions further. She has probably just set a goal that is too aggressive and needs to eat a few more calories.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »

I don't think she needs to cut back her portions further. She has probably just set a goal that is too aggressive and needs to eat a few more calories.

Yeah maybe so.

To the original poster: How much weight do you plan to lose? Like others have stated you likely need to drop your rate of weight loss. The slower you do it the more calories you will be allowed daily.
  • juliamfu161
    juliamfu161 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You know, find either brushing your teeth or chewing a piece of minty gum, or eating a mint helps to curb my appetite. Especially the chewing gum. I usually have some lying around the house so that I can have a stick after dinner. It'll trick my body into thinking that I'm still eating and helps it to feel full. If I don't have gum, I'd resort to brushing my teeth.

Now I dunno if this will help if you're feeling really hungry all the time, but at the very least, it'll help you feel full after a meal that doesn't really feel full.
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    For me to feel full and no longer hungry I have to eat a lot more food with healthy foods than I do for treats. This took getting used to.