Any gym tips for newbies?

Options
I'm 53, have lost half of my excess weight (40#s) and I'm ready join a local gym. Where do I start??? Weights (machines) and cardio equipment? Classes? The gym I like has yoga, pilates, barre, TRX... Scared!

Replies

• Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'd book in a session with one of their personal trainers who will help you assess what your exercise goals are and get you started with a routine.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I'd book in a session with one of their personal trainers who will help you assess what your exercise goals are and get you started with a routine.

this but id start by researching online and finding what looked interesting equipment/program wise, And going prepared with specific questions for mchines and moves you wanna learn. Trainerscan be free with new memberships, OR a bit expensive. Either way you wanna maximize the use of your time with one if you go that route. If not, Youtube has alot of visual info :p
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    For general fitness, a good strength program for your age group is New Rules of Lifting for Life.

If you need more help, state your goal. :+1:
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Awesome news, great to start a new phase. I really find YouTube helpful, there are so many educational videos on any exercise topic you can think of, particularly weight training. I think most would agree that you should do both cardio and strength training. Weight training is the only thing I know of that will take you from thin to buff.
  • NoExcusesFromNowOn
    NoExcusesFromNowOn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginner and would never pay a trainer. Im cheap. I use the weight machines and do a few other exercises. I learn by videos, Instagram people, this, and by watching others doing their exercises. I'm definitely seeing results and losing weight. Try different things and see what you like. I'm your age and couldn't keep up w high impact classes w a lot of jumping. I'm a size 8 so it's not size. I enjoy rowing and swimming!
  • NoExcusesFromNowOn
    NoExcusesFromNowOn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I took a barre class and really liked it but then they quit that class. Small gym.
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I opted for 10 sessions with a trainer when I joined my gym. For me, it was worth every penny. I'm looking at my budget to see if I can fit it in for another 10-20 sessions, probably once a week now that I've started. For me, it set up accountability that I wouldn't have had otherwise. It also helped me with specific exercises to prevent injury to my lower back, where I have a slightly bulging disk.

My gym allowed me to pay for my 10 sessions and my daughter join me on those for no added cost. I also got a discount because I paid in full for the sessions upfront. It never hurts to try and negotiate either the cost of the sessions or a perk like I did.

I'm not a big fan of group classes. It's always hard to not compare my abilities to the others. I do yoga sometimes for my flexibility, but otherwise, I mostly do cardio (elliptical, bike, rowing machine) in addition to the homework given to me by my trainer. However, if you like the social aspect of classes, those are getting started in a routine of going.
  • c4rped1em
    c4rped1em Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'd say the biggest tip is to just get in there! It's so scary the first time you go (for most people, anyway), but once you get comfortable, you'll really love it. I personally don't like personal training; I prefer to do my own thing and explore the machines. Start with cardio and the simple weight machines- gyms like Planet Fitness have areas like a "30 minute workout" where there are a set of weight machines that are easy to use. :) Good luck!
  • M0n1KCR
    M0n1KCR Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I d0n't like machines, I prefer classes. I'd recommend you to try different things to see what you like, it's easier to commit if you like what you are doing. ;)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,882 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest trying some classes just to see what you find fun, and asking whether your gym has a free orientation session with a trainer to learn how to use the machines (many do, and you can ask questions).

One tip: The first time most of us try any new physical thing, it can seem very awkward, and maybe even unachievably difficult. Don't let that get you down: Anything that's super easy right away gets boring fast, but things that are harder to learn at first can stay challengingly fun longer. So, plan to commit to several sessions of something (unless you find it injurious, of course!) before you give up on it.

Also, it's normal to feel self-conscious. It can feel like everyone else knows what they're doing and is just naturally good at whatever it is. That's not true. All of them were new at that particular activity once, and most of them remember what that was like. Most of them are not judgmental (only the very, very small number of jerks are judgmental, and their opinions are not valuable ;) ). Don't be afraid to get up close to the front, where you can see the instructor. And for the first class, get there a little early, talk to the instructor, tell them you're new, and ask for any tips they have for you as a beginner (they may also offer beginner adaptations during the class, for especially difficult parts, for example).

Good luck, and have fun (that's the important part!).
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to take a spin class. If you are self-conscious then take a bike in the back of the class. I assure you, if you do not keep up with the instructor no one will know (or care). Let the experience inspire you. One thing about spinning, it is not easy to hurt yourself which is always a potential problem when starting a new exercise routine.
  • HelenGrace203
    HelenGrace203 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! Today is Day #1 at the gym, and after a ton of consideration, I'm planning on cardio and then a beginners stretch and balance class. Tomorrow I'm going to a newbie yoga workshop, and Sunday a beginners small group pilates mat class. I'm waiting for a call from one of the PTs to set up a basic weight program. So my goal for this Phase 1 period will be weights followed by stretch and balance class twice a week, yoga twice a week, and pilates training once a week. Plus walking my dog 2 miles every morning. As you can see, I've been obsessing about this, LOL.
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Stretching is a great idea. Some of my favorite workouts involve long stretching routines, it makes my body feel so great. I'd really like to work in a regular yoga class, just gotta find the time. Enjoy.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Learn how to use the free weights instead of the weight machines.

I'm totally serious. The machines have their place, but you'll make a lot more progress if you primarily use the free weights.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    The class was really good! Yes, I felt intimidated, but the crowd at 10 am included mostly middle aged and older people, and they were FIT for the most part, and the instructor was helpful. Onward!

glad you enjoyed, First times the scariest! Always go back. For sure give it 3-5 times to get into the groove and decide if you love it :p
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,882 Member
    Options
    The class was really good! Yes, I felt intimidated, but the crowd at 10 am included mostly middle aged and older people, and they were FIT for the most part, and the instructor was helpful. Onward!

Hooray: I'm glad it was such a positive experience!

And thanks for reporting back - it's always fun and interesting to know how things worked out. :)
  • MelmothWanders
    MelmothWanders Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Excellent, that's great Helen!

Looking at what your plans for the weekend are, I will say that it's a little ambitious, so make sure you give yourself time to rest between workouts and don't push too hard at first. I also want to encourage to you to try out strength training (I agree with spartan_d about free weights vs machines, but go with what you're comfortable with or a class/trainer tells you to). Strength training will help you avoid injuries and strengthen your bones as well as your muscles.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Good for you! I am so happy to hear you got it done. Walking in the door the first day is the hardest thing. It only gets better!