Motivation & depression

Options
I suffer from severe depression and find that my motivation is zilch when I think about exercise. I like to walk, want to run again, and I enjoy yoga. Any ideas?

Replies

• sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Add Nordic walking sticks to your walk. It's easy but you burn more calories and you get an upper body workout too.
  • kehillig
    kehillig Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you have not tried it yet, do your exercise first thing in the morning. I'm dealing with major depressive disorder, and I have found that waiting until the work day is over gives me time to find excuses to not exercise, and to dig into that pit of guilt. First thing in the morning? My brain wakes up slower than my body, so if I get going first thing in the morning, I do not really have time to fret and ponder it. It is still hard, massively hard some days, but it is all done, and my mood tends to stay boosted for most of the day because of it.

Also, don't beat yourself up for missing a day due to your depression. Let it roll over you, and give it a fresh shot in the morning.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I suffer from severe depression and find that my motivation is zilch when I think about exercise. I like to walk, want to run again, and I enjoy yoga. Any ideas?

I would suggest getting as much of your exercise outside as you can. I have severe depression also and I find sunshine is one of the best things for me. If you can't make yourself exercise, even just going outside for 10-15 minutes will give you a shot of some vitamin D and may lift your mood to where you feel more capable of exercising.

I joined the "Just For Today" commitment thread on this board, because committing to doing something for one day only just seems less daunting when I'm down. I also use an app called Habitica where I earn points and level up by accomplishing tasks I set for myself that align with my goals, like exercising, resisting junk food, drinking enough water, etc. It may not be for everyone but it's fun for me and gives me a bit of a boost to see me progressing toward the results I want.

Also, maybe find a friend to work out with you? That can be a nice substitute for going out for lunch and eating something high calorie, plus you both get fitter, and the socializing may give you a boost as well.

Finally, remember that if weight loss is your goal, it's lost in the kitchen more than at the gym, so I try to have a stockpile in the freezer ready to go. Then if I have days when all I'm capable of it sticking something in the microwave, I have healthy, calorie apportioned items ready to go. I have split pea soup, lentil stew, 5 bean chili, spaghetti sauce, and a couple of frozen dinners in the freezer right now.

I attended a conference about staying focused and sticking with plans that we've made to progress toward our goals, and the speaker, Jaylee James (who has also struggled with depression), said some things that really resonated with me, so much that I read them over to myself every Sunday afternoon:

"Know yourself: the plan needs to work in two ways, getting stuff done and not dying of stress overload. Keep track of both and take time to check in with yourself. If you are stressed out, falling behind, exhausted, feeling like a failure, the plan is the problem, not you. The plan is there to serve you, not the other way around."

"Forgive yourself when you completely throw out your plan. Self-loathing is incredibly useless and unproductive."

"Revise your plan. Give a plan 3 weeks to really try it out if you can. Revise and re-revise until you find something that works for you."

"Celebrate! Whenever you accomplish something you need to celebrate it. Celebrating the work you do is just as important as doing the actual work. "

I hope this helps you. Friend me if you'd like and I'll do anything I can to cheer you on.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you, always looking for an answer to this dilemma. My dogs help me at least get out for walks, I don’t feel better... but at least I accomplished something!
  • edmudman
    edmudman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Try run walk intervals, e.g: walk 3 mins, run 30 sec for 10-20 intervals or what ever ratio of run/walk works for you.
    This is how you come back from injury and have to start building up your running from scratch. As the days and weeks go by, you change the intervals, reducing the walk and increasing the run until eventually the walks are zero.
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm at a pretty good spot right now mental health wise but I have been where you are too. I almost had to trick myself into doing things like packing a gym bag before bed, having gym/ running clothes laid out, lunches all planned and pre-prepared so by the time it comes to DO the thing it would almost be as much effort not to as it would to just go. So, a solid plan with as few opportunities to deviate would be my advice. Structure is good for depressed brains too.

The most important thing is to just do your best. If you don't get out for a walk but the rest of your day is good and you can look back and know that you did your best and made good decisions then I count that as a success. Not every day has to be perfect, or even good, but you should try and make it the best you can and then you're always a winner.
  • ashxtasticness
    ashxtasticness Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    A lot of mental illnesses make it hard to stay motivated or be active for various reasons. Stay strong, push through it and try to find someone you can maybe do something fun/active with.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    major depressive disorder: i like hiking and aerial yoga/hammock/hoop fun

i found motivation fades but if it's a habit, then i just do it. i became an aerial yoga teacher because i follow thru on commitments depressed or not

dogs help. they don't care if i'm depressed they still want to go for a walk or run before they snuggle me under the covers