High Calorie GERD/Peptic ulcer food ideas

Options
Havery2017
Havery2017 Posts: 42 Member

High Calorie GERD Friendly Food Ideas

I’m currently battling severe GERD and possible development of a peptic ulcer. I currently weigh 158 lbs and I’ve 5’7. I’m barely able to eat anything that doesn’t cause pain after. I’m on two meds and go for another endoscopy next week. The problem is my calorie intake is ridiculously low because of it. Today for example, I have had a 397 calorie intake, but just existing I have already burned 1037 calories today. I’ve lost 15 lbs in a month. Not the way I wanted to lose it. I get full so easy. Please any suggestions?

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Havery2017 wrote: »

High Calorie GERD Friendly Food Ideas

I’m currently battling severe GERD and possible development of a peptic ulcer. I currently weigh 158 lbs and I’ve 5’7. I’m barely able to eat anything that doesn’t cause pain after. I’m on two meds and go for another endoscopy next week. The problem is my calorie intake is ridiculously low because of it. Today for example, I have had a 397 calorie intake, but just existing I have already burned 1037 calories today. I’ve lost 15 lbs in a month. Not the way I wanted to lose it. I get full so easy. Please any suggestions?

My wife had GERD severely for nearly a year. She ended up buying a book on food combining and it really, really helped her. To summarize the book (it was a lot of fluff but this is what it came down to), don't eat animal products with simple carbs, ever. They don't digest well together. This sounds simple but eliminated 90% of what Americans eat - Pizza, Cheeseburgers, Sandwiches with meat. You can eat animal products and non starchy veggies fine. You can eat veggies and starchy carbs. You just can't eat starchy carbs and animal products. Also, fruit by itself only. She also eliminated coffee, which helped her tremendously too (and we don't drink soda, which I would imagine is also terrible for GERD). Think about it, the very worst thing people can eat with GERD is the thing that most eat in the US most often -- the Biggie Value meal (hamburger, fries and soda). Or Pizza and soda. Both incredibly bad for GERD.

For Peptic Ulcer, cabbage juice is amazing. No, it's not going to help you gain weight but you might fix the Peptic Ulcer very quickly. It's what they used for decades in the US prison system when inmates would develop Peptic Ulcers. You can cure an ulcer within weeks.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear you are in so much pain :( I also have had GERD issues recently. I think a lot of the food choices are trial and error, and picking foods that are known to be good for it. Keep a journal and try different foods independently while logging how they make you feel.

What does your diet generally consist of (both before and currently)? Were you tested for H. Pylori?

Things that helped me:
    cutting back on sugar, cheese, bread products, and spicy foods.
    making sure I took ant acids as prescribed
    Increasing probiotic foods
    Smaller meals
    Less meat products

For the most part I am eating bland small meals, but sparingly eat something on the “cut back” list. I don’t drink soda (or alcohol, nor do I smoke) ever so that was never a problem but I can imagine it could be for someone that does. I think that I have recently become lactose intolerant because milk triggers serious GERD issues for me, so that’s work noting too if you use dairy products often.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Also high calorie and GERD recommendations do not go hand in hand. Most of the foods you want to avoid are high cal high sugar foods. I recommend trying to eat the foods on the recommended lists, it will help you heal and lead to the ability to eat enough for your body and what it’s burning.