Thunder Thighs!

Options
Since i can ever remember, i have had big thighs. i used to be called 'thunder thighs' when i was younger!

Im sure this is where most of my weight is.

how can i get my thighs smaller?

I am doing the C25K at the moment, so dont know if this is going to help me.

what else can i do?

Replies

• Alexandria1213
    Alexandria1213 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Lunges for sure
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Build leg muscles - leg presses, hip adductor/abductor machines, lunges, yoga, etc.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    belive it or not walking! i have lovley legs now muscler too! just walk a your top speed(you will get faster as time goes on) and you will soon notice a difference!
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I had this issue too. and same nick name :( I find my legs do slim down but slowly compared to elsewhere, particulary my thighs. :(

But, lunges (be prepared for next day pain) or exercise (for me it's horse riding) gives me hope as I can 'feel' my Thunder (ironically my horses name) is solid under a layer of softness which will reduce... in time and lbs. lol So I'll be left wth 'nut cracking thighs' as my friend says are a result of my riding! lol

Much prefer the thought of nut cracking than thunderous thighs!
  • SusiB60
    SusiB60 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thighs are not a bad place to carry weight ..much better than round the tummy.

I too have always had thunder thighs, even in my teens when I was a size ten
    It's just the way I'm made, so I concentrate on toning them rather than trying to reduce them. :0)
  • arkenny
    arkenny Posts: 125
    Options
    i feel your pain.... ive had big legs my whole life...thighs and calves :( ive lost 37 lbs and still got big ones... i have hope that there will be less giggle...but i dont think i will ever have skinny legs
  • Pezii
    Pezii Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Lunges help the most, my thighs have been big for as long as I could remember I do lunges as well as squats and they are so far reducing.
  • lydt5880
    lydt5880 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have also always suffered with this and my body feel out of proportion-waist 28inch and hips- 40 inch! Can anyone tell me how to d lunges etc??
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I have also always suffered with this and my body feel out of proportion-waist 28inch and hips- 40 inch! Can anyone tell me how to d lunges etc??
    Not sure if I can post a link but here is one:
    http://exercise.about.com/od/lowerbodyworkouts/ss/lunges.htm

has images and instructions :)

if your balance isn't too hot then you can hold onto something with your hands, a chair etc for balance or put your back against a wall and put yourself into a 'chair' position still with your back agains the way.. so imagine someone could 'sit' on your legs - hips and thighs at 90 degrees.. hold arms out if you want and fix gaze on something.. increase amount of time you hold this - don't keep it if you start to wobble - then over time you'll get more reps for longer without wobbling. :)
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Sorry to be a pain but I wish I had your problem,I carry it all in front,not the healthiest and its getting harder and harder to shift,you should do great with walking!best of luck!
  • kalcide
    kalcide Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!

Didn't know walking would help!!

We try to walk as a family at weekends so will up the pace now!!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I had big thighs all my life (I'm 55), completely out of proportion to the rest of my otherwise petite frame. Despite being very active from age 20 to about 5 years ago (active = ballet, martial arts, running 1/2 marathon distances, weight training 5 days a week, and so on), they stubbornly persisted while you could see my ribs and abs ... was not fair!

For me the answer came recently when I changed my way of eating, and eliminated grains, beans, dairy, soy, starchy veg, and sugar. My thighs have *never* been this thin my entire adult life and I now look have a body shape that looks balanced and am ecstatic looking in the mirror ... so vain, I know :-) This worked for me, and I know everyone's experience will be different. The only thing I'd ask is what do you have to lose trying it for one month?
  • CatClark
    CatClark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've started cycling everywhere and it's doing GREAT things for my thighs (and I'm saving so many bus fares!) Worth a try if you have a bike!