Frequency of weighing?

Options
bluekarou
bluekarou Posts: 14 Member
My plan is to weigh in monthly and once only, first thing in the morning. I’ve found in the past that weekly weighing invariably turns into daily weighing, which led to usual fluctuations derailing progress and motivation. I will also be measuring progress by tape measurements and pictures, in recognition of the fact the scale doesn’t tell the full story.

How often do others weigh themselves?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Weekly weighing works for me, but you need to do what works for you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    2-3 times a week for me
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself pretty much every day but the fluctuations don't bother me. I use a weight trending app and look at the trend rather than the fluctuations.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Daily. I know fluctuations happen, so it’s important to look past them and view the overall trend.
  • jessicarose22492
    jessicarose22492 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Weekly first thing before eating
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I'm with @BattyKnitter and @rheddmobile in that I've been far more successful weighing daily and using a trend app (I use Happy Scale, Libra is another oft-used app). Daily weighing has become part of my daily routine, which mitigates any event-type association with it; it's data collection, nothing more.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily
  • Masheba34
    Masheba34 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I weigh weekly on Fridays
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I weigh every Monday. Weighing daily works for some, but I find that the fluctuations frustrate me. Weighing more than once a day seems pointless because of the same reason. Once per week, once every other week or once per month are what I would recommend.

Regardless, don't get discouraged if it doesn't go down! Linear weight loss doesn't happen, it is a roller coaster.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily now but in the past I weighed weekly. I find as I've gotten more objective the day to day fluctuations don't unsettle me. I look at the overall direction.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I weigh weekly, any day around the weekend (Fri-Mon). Fluctuation is due to the fact that sometimes I forget to weight before I eat, so I have to wait for the next day so conditions are the same.

Still early days, if I find fluctuations are throwing me I will likely up it to daily
  • alfur1
    alfur1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and I've noticed a lot of fluctuations, but there's an overall downward trend. In previous weight loss efforts I've allowed fluctuations upwards to get me down and sometimes they've led to me ditching the diet, but I'm not letting it happen this time.

In the past, if I don't weigh myself daily I will go into denial and eat too much.
  • Crochetmama84
    Crochetmama84 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily.
  • mcash540
    mcash540 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Same time daily before eating or drinking anything.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I used to only weigh a couple times a month, now it’s every morning.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, twice a day. But that really helps me with certain data points that I’m looking for. I think that daily once a day would be a good way for most people to get good weight trend data.
  • skystarfor
    skystarfor Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Once a week, same day & time, after going to toilet when u wake up